• This topic has 155 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Phil_H.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Festive 500 – 2022
  • MoreCashThanDash

Can’t see a thread for this yet.

My cheeky bid for time off at Christmas has been granted, and it occurred to me that for the first time I might have the time to have a go at this.

Subject to family sign off.

Never attempted something like this before, so interested in tips and experience. Assuming get big miles in the bank early.

If I have a go I’m not going to get fixated on it, if weather, injury or family commitments get in the way of completing this, so be it, it’s meant to be fun after all.

crazy-legs

Ah, I think I started a thread on this last year and it then became the first year where I didn’t complete it! Got to the final day with 150km to ride, had a route planned and I just could not be bothered in the slightest. There was no interest, no spark at all in going out even for 50km.

Yes, getting the miles in early really helps. It’s also quite weather dependent – I’ve slogged around any number of muddy wet lanes in the last few years and then we got bored of that and did a couple of years in Gran Canaria which, in spite of the hills, was a LOT more pleasant!

See if you can arrange family things so that you can ride there while partner/kids drive. I’ve done that a few times and it’s an easy way of banking a load of miles which is otherwise dead time in a car. One year I got the train down to my Dad’s then rode back the next day – that was 1/4 of the mileage right there.

scotroutes

Any time I’ve considered this I’ve been put off by the weather – and fitting riding in around family and friends.

It’s now possible to do it indoors (on Zwift etc) or as a mix of the two. However I’m not sure I’d be happy sitting in a stationary bike for that long. I might bank a couple of early rides and see what develops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

Century ride on Xmas eve starts you off nicely. Couple of hours on Xmas day and you’re almost half way there. Makes the rest of it easier, for sure.

Weather is definitely the limiting factor. Battled through snow and black ice the first time I did it. That was challenging. Otherwise you just need the time. Little bit each day.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Last time I bothered, I got to 300km then the weather was foul until NYE morning, so I got up early and crashed round the other 200km in the day. Wasn’t totally unpleasant and set me up nicely for Majorca 312.

MoreCashThanDash

Ah, I think I started a thread on this last year and it then became the first year where I didn’t complete it!

Well, thats an auspicious start….🤣

I might bank a couple of early rides and see what develops.

Is as far as my plan has got

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Zwift will no doubt be nicer weather than outdoors and you can get draft benefits on group rides and pace partner rides, but compared to outdoors extended turbo time can be very brutal on your backside!

convert

Never managed this. I’ve started a few times and given up. Once because I got injured with 100 to go but mostly because it became a chore or it just felt selfish. I reckon you either need to be happy to do the bulk in the dark very early or late, you have few family commitments or are an unreconstructed 1970’s male with a ‘her indoors’ that does all the festive cooking/household bobbins whilst you go out and tap out the miles. But mostly I think I’ve reconciled myself that I get all year to ride tons but very few days a year off work at the same time as Mrs C so making the most of them is more important than ticking this box.

Yet every year I feel the urge to do it! Conflicted!

And zwifting it……nope. Yes, the challenge is very different in northern Europe to southern (or southern hemisphere) or flat or hilly terrain. But zwifting feels like a cop out even though the idea of that many miles on a turbo would be a different kind of pain!

Phil_H

I was planning on doing it again this year but I’ve been cited for jury service at the high court in Dundee from 28th December. I’m not sure they would appreciate me turning up betighted and sweaty.

My usual strategy is to alternate 100km rides & 50km rides each day and try to keep the rides as flat a possible.

ton

yes, i shall be having another crack at this after falling 40 mile short last year.
    going on a mini 4 day tour in the yorkshire Dales on the 27th so this will hopefully help me to success this year.

tjagain

Whats the rules for this?  I might have a go

crazy-legs

Whats the rules for this? I might have a go

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/stories/festive-500

Basically ride 500km between 00:01 on Christmas Eve and 23:59 on NYE.
    Any combination or permutation of rides, anywhere, any bike.

You sign up to it on Strava (although this year’s one isn’t listed in their challenges yet).

MoreCashThanDash

Just volunteered to marshall the Boxing Day charity hill climb, so that’s one day off the list. 🤷‍♂️

richpips
    Free Member

Rapha has just dropped me an email about some content for this year’s campaign.

I’ve not done it for a few years.

I may like Tony go on tour for a few days. Much more fun than riding on the roads round here.

crazy-legs

It’s now up on Strava – go to the Challenges section and hit Join on the Festive 500!

ton

cant find the challenge on my strava. there is a festive 500 thing that is generated in Holland with 32000 members. is that it?

BadlyWiredDog

Might do it if the weather’s not too wet. I tend to do a mix of road and off road, though the mountain bike stuff is relatively inefficient. Beats sitting around eating family-sized Toblerones.

v7fmp

i did it last year, albeit via zwift. Was a pretty decent challenge indoors, so i suspect in the real world its a fair chunk harder.

My plans are to do it again on zwift this year, but havent used my turbo for about 8 months….

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve completed it a few times previously but have no motivation to ride that much this year. It would be 10% of my total distance for 2022 so I don’t have the legs for it.

MrSparkle

If you fancy a bit of practice/motivation there’s the Restrap Solstice Century the weekend before.

aggs
    Free Member

I loved the challenge and the battling of the weather gods ,even had to drive down our valley due to the ice to get to the salted roads one year, but it kinda wears me out ,esp balancing the family /xmas indulgences/commitments and so the good work is usually undone in January when it’s best to be building up my my mojo for the New Year.

So deffo not doing it this year.
    Please ban this post before I get tempted again…..lol!
    It is fun though! Esp when u see other riders out.
    Fresh roads is the key.
    I kept looping the same old roads which again makes it harder to get out on the same roads after the 500 is completed.

crazy-legs

Fresh roads is the key.
    I kept looping the same old roads which again makes it harder to get out on the same roads after the 500 is completed.

I actually prefer familiar roads, ones where I don’t have to think about navigation, where I know the distance, the time it normally takes and the location of cafes!

That counts double if I’m riding in the dark…

aggs
    Free Member

True about riding in the dark.
    It was really nice riding to/from relatives last year. Helped morale and onto to familiar roads as it got dark.
    We have a slightly limited choice here, esp if factoring in the salt issue and cafe issue. Not so bad if its slightly warmer and get onto higher roads etc.
    The turbo option must be tough ,big respect to anyone doing that, I did think that was an error by Rapha introducing that but actually pretty damn tough mentally I would think.

scotroutes

And physically. Sitting on a turbo for hours tests your saddle…

rhinofive

See if you can arrange family things so that you can ride there while partner/kids drive. I’ve done that a few times and it’s an easy way of banking a load of miles which is otherwise dead time in a car.

I find this is a good way of getting it done; this year I’ll ride to & from a visit that’ll see the best part of 400km done in a couple of days, leaving the rest to be done at leisure

freeagent
    Free Member

As head chef and driver in my house i just cannot see how i’d get the time to do this – unless i was up and out at 4am.

Maybe in a few years when the kids are older and we’re not cooking for elderly relations.

crazy-legs

Putting it out there now that if the weather is like this (1 degree, sleeting) for Festive 500 I won’t even be attempting it!

Saccades
    Free Member

Hours on the turbo is easier than on the road I find. Can get off, have a drink, chat, change the radio station etc.

Tried it last year and the starting 100km on Xmas Eve was in the lashing rain, everything got drowned and a bit tender. Did 60km Xmas day on zwift (whilst the wife and kids were at mass), then another 100km out on the road bike on boxing day.

That was that, as I got back home I discovered I was pissing blood from where a seam had rubbed. The joys of blood thinners.

Back on our usual tour of friends this year so will probably try for 250km over Xmas.

crazy-legs

Long range weather forecast is suggesting wind and rain but probably not as cold as the last few days…

corroded
    Free Member

I might have a crack this year, if the weather plays ball. I’ve completed it about three times now, skipped last year. It’s always the weather and opportunity that is the determining factor, not the distance. I try to mix it up, so I’ll do road rides of about 100km and some MTB rides that often turn out quite epic. I’ll usually ride to or from some Christmas family occasion, meaning I get to cycle somewhere new. It’s actually been a lot of fun, mostly. Obviously, it doesn’t count if you’re doing it somewhere hot and sunny!

MoreCashThanDash

Couple of events now making the official 8 days unlikely for me, but I’m off work 1st-9th January so pondering a belated attempt.

onehundredthidiot

Mmm, snuffly cold and goosed. It’s the weather on Saturday that will decide it for me. That and Mrs100th who was working all but Xmas day now taking 5 days off

13thfloormonk

I’ll be content with a ‘Festive 5’ if it means just keeping some consistency.

Have an opportunity for 110km on Christmas Eve (morning) and might be able to cycle the first part of the way en route to Oban to visit my mum.

That’s 220km…

31st is off limits, so that leaves approx 55km a day for the remaining 5 days, and I’ll be lucky if I can get an hour on the turbo Christmas day morning (actually that’s not so crazy, wife will appreciate an hour to herself as well after the initial 5yr old 4am present frenzy has subsided… 🙄)

So maybe 65km a day between the 26th and 29th. Two big rides probably more acceptable to family than 4 small rides, but I suspect motivation, weather or sniffles might have blunted my ambition by then…

MrSparkle

Did anyone else do the Restrap Solstice Century last weekend? I have done it before as a oner but conditions were bloody grim here on Saturday so I ended up splitting it. 77 on Sat and balance Sunday morning. It was hard work, tbh. Not filled with enthusiasm for F500.

crazy-legs

Did anyone else do the Restrap Solstice Century last weekend?

Was considering it. Even started planning a route on Friday night. And then the weekend weather was horrendous. Freezing rain, icy roads and trails – didn’t even attempt to ride.

Was treacherous enough walking anywhere. Even the towpath and the shared use old railway line path were sheet ice.

13thfloormonk

Wow, forecast for Christmas Eve and Boxing day is looking pretty good up here (Perthshire). Might try and extend both those rides slightly (although my riding buddy for Boxing Day has told me he’s just had the snip, might need to add a loop on after he’s staggered home 😂)

didnthurt

I’ve signed up but don’t think I’ll be doing it on the road, don’t fancy dicing with black ice on my early or late rides.

I’m aiming for 150km ride on Christmas Eve but then we’re at my wife’s parents for Christmas day and the next two days after. So will be hard to get rides in then although I could take my bike along, even if I don’t, I should’ve enough time left to hit my goal.

Without riding on the 25th, 26th and 27th
    1. 24th – 150km
    2. 28th – 100km
    3 29th – 100km
    4. 30th – 100km
    5. 31st – 50km

Some riding on the 25th, 26th and 27th
    1. 24th – 150km
    2. 25th – 25km
    3. 26th – 25km
    4. 27th – 25km
    5 28th – 100km
    6. 29th – 50km
    7. 30th – 75km
    8. 31st – 75km

I’ll do some of it indoors if need be. I rode 30km last night indoors and it was easy enough.

First time doing it so will have to see how I get on.

MrSparkle

Good luck. PS as the old saying goes: if you want to make God laugh – tell him your plans… ;0)

didnthurt

Have anyone seen this year’s festive 500 clothing?

Bit fussy for my taste, plus I’m piss poor.

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-long-sleeve-training-jersey-festive-500/product/AJN02XX

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.