Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ferry crossing (Newcastle – Amsterdam) and being flexible with dates
  • butcher

So, let’s say you don’t know what day you want to travel. You have a roundabout idea. You could make a date and commit to it, but you’d rather keep it flexible. What’s the best way to play it?

Current prices appear to be around double that of booking weeks in advance, but I’m not sure if that is to do with seasons?

A search for today actually yields no results, so rocking up on the day may not be a good idea?

What kind of fee would I expect if I booked in advance and changed the dates later on?

Booking just a few days in advance could potentially incur a significant cost penalty, it seems.

Is it just in my best interest to book in advance and suck it up?

Can any experienced travellers shed any advice?

mick_r

Depends if it is a busy / peak season and also if you are foot passenger vs car vs big van. We changed car after booking (half metre longer) and almost got refused the booking change for the return crossing (peak season, very full ship).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What kind of fee would I expect if I booked in advance and changed the dates later on?

The one in the T&C’s usually on the site where you book it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

Should have mentioned I’d be foot passenger.

The one in the T&C’s usually on the site where you book it.

Couldn’t find it. I’m just looking for advice from people who have done similar or perhaps work in the industry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/Documents/passenger-booking-terms-and-conditions-01-09-2017.pdf

Page 9, basically fare difference plus fee is the worst you will get

butcher

Thanks. It’s looking like best course of action might just be to pick a day if I don’t want to double up on costs.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

P&O offer flexible fares on Hull-Rotterdam if that’s an option, DFDS don’t on their North Sea route. It’s a more expensive ticket, obvs, but lets you change without charge.

Either way, it will be subject to space. Easier if you are a standard car and not travelling at peak time.

martinhutch

Ferry availability from this weekend onwards will be just about as bad as it gets. I certainly wouldn’t rock up and expect to get on when there is one sailing a day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ferry crossing (Newcastle – Amsterdam) and being flexible with dates’ is closed to new replies.