Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Fergie
  • Bregante

Just heard on the radio that rumours are rife that Sir Alex is about to call it a day!

Wouldn’t it be amazing timing if he were to quit now and for Jose Mourinho to snub Chelsea and go to Man U. Not saying it’s going to happen. It’s only a few days since he said he had no plans to retire!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Damn, wanted to see his bright red head explode when a ref failed to give the requisite 10 min extra time or until Man U score, whichever is the longer. 😀

PrinceJohn

Jose to ManU would be funny.

Moyes is apparently the bookies favourite, but in this day & age I can’t see a club the size of ManU appointing a manager who hasn’t won anything.

eskay

He has to go now as doctors have warned his nose could explode at any moment.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe he’s realised that his team won’t be joining the list of true European greats under his stewardship. The embarrassments at the hands of some of the great European sides over the past few seasons have probably been hard for him to take at his age. He could only dream of his side playing like Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent time to retire, foolhardy time to take over!

Job well done – provincial club to global brand, incredible record and what will replace “Fergie time” ?

Happy retirement Fergie!

allthepies
    Free Member

Special one to take over then ?

Garry_Lager

been reported that he has actually retired.

Maureen to OT surely – in synch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whoever goes there will be in trouble, expectation will be high and players unsure. I predict a few could go now he is not in charge.

simonside
    Free Member

oops wrong Fergie:

Stoner
    Free Member

OMG!

loddrik
    Free Member

At last. As a liverpool fan I have been looking forward to this day a long long time. I pity the person who replaces, mourinho or anyone else, along with Paisley, he’s the best manager the English game has ever seen, and no one will be able to get close to replicating his success, which I’m obviously happy about.

His achievements this season with a team which has over achieved massively to win the league by as much as it has show that it is fergusons will to win which is irreplaceable, no other manager in world football would have got close to the lead they have with the current squad.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

will John Deare be next?

loddrik
    Free Member

I wouldn’t blame mourinho for going to Utd over Chelsea its a no brainer, but its definitely the end of an era for Utd in terms of unbroken success.

All dynasties come to an end sometime, look at us…!!

Northwind

Has he actually retired, or is he going to expect to be allowed to carry on til he wins?

Klunk
    Free Member

will be tough for the replacement with fergie on the board.

binners

The embarrassments at the hands of some of the great European sides over the past few seasons have probably been hard for him to take at his age.

I suspect the 13 premierships and the champions leagues he did win may go some way to calming his fevered brow.

United wouldn’t have Jose. He’s too much of a loose cannon. It would have been fun though. Moyes has refused to discuss his contract at Everton until the end of the season. This will all have been done and dusted months ago, I reckon.

Who would seriously fancy following Fergie though 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Even for a weak joke, get the spelling right – John Deere!

wilko1999
    Free Member

How do you express a really sarcastic sharp intake of breath on an internet forum?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

There’s only one man to fill those boots … Jose.

Moyes really??

One thing doing OK (but not actually winning anything) with a small team to making the jump to a massive team and HAVING to win

Fergie has choosen now, with Jose out of contact …. Hmmm

Good news for Spurs… seeds of doubt in the minds of Terry/Lamps et all… Bet they have been cock-a-hoop for the last few days… maybe not now

C’mon you Spurs …. please

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jose is not outof contract he requires 20 million Euros to get out of it whioch only Chelsea , IMHO, will consider paying

As a liverpool fan I have been looking forward to this day a long long time

Perhaps when you get over the hurt you can start looking forward to your team being succesful though obvioulsy that may get in the way of the hate

DD I think you have a point tbh given how much they dominated domesticaly the European record is not as good as he would want but it is not shabby either tbh – We are no Bayern though we may have made the final but for Nani/ref.

Like Binners I would assume Moyes but worry about his lack of record with a big team with big money players and he ha snoEuropean pedigree.

Will be interesting
    Anyone here gret lives on Radio 4 about Shankly and hwo he hung around the trainign ground being a pain to Paisley – will fergie really be able to step away will th eplayers not really call him tomoan?

Clean break would have been better for whoever has to go next but was always unlikely

PS Lodders i remeber my mate telling me it was all over when Schmeichel left – one day we will fade for sure who knows if it is now

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall with Jose’s agents over the past few weeks. Has been playing blues and the reds, or was Chelsea always a bluff. When will the real (poor joke) story come out?

loddrik
    Free Member

All players are replaceable, Fergie definitely isn’t, in the same way paisley wasn’t, ok dalglish carried some momentum for a few seasons, but it was only going one way once Paisley called it a day. I’m sure Utd won’t experience the decades long decline that we have had, but no one, mourinho included, will get within miles of the consistent success that Fergie achieved.

Klunk
    Free Member

Would manure be willing to pay the release clause fee to get Jose as I can’t see Real sacking him with the chance of a nice pay off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All players are replaceable, Fergie definitely isn’t, in the same way paisley wasn’t, ok dalglish carried some momentum for a few seasons, but it was only going one way once Paisley called it a day. I’m sure Utd won’t experience the decades long decline that we have had, but no one, mourinho included, will get within miles of the consistent success that Fergie achieved.

Dalglish didn’t replace paisley, and left Liverpool in a hell of a mess.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

An interesting stat (too lazy to check) on R5 this morning – he regained the championship 5 times after losing it to supposedly better teams with more resources. I guess that contains two points really wih the latter being more subjective. But even so, I think that is a telling indication of how successful he has been.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspect the 13 premierships and the champions leagues he did win may go some way to calming his fevered brow.

Your brow I think binbins. However, ’twas European success he craved towards the end. And in recent years they were poor against the top teams from abroad. Unbelievable record though. Possibly the greatest manager this country has seen. Will rightly go up there with the legends…Shanks, Clough etc. His legacy in terms of respect to referees will be forgotten over the coming grief stricken days of course.

I wonder how his successor will deal with him being around. This is why I suspect it might be Moyes – having a few years under his tutelage. It would suit him better than Jose and his circus. Who knows though.

allthepies
    Free Member

I remember just how close Fergie was to getting the boot when he first started at Utd. Had Mark Robins to thank for his long career 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fergie definitely isn’t, in the same way paisley wasn’t

Didnt paisley replace Shankly and Fagin not win the treble after Paisley

Think these days with money it will be hard to decline below the top four without some effort tbh

portlyone

Fergie didn’t just build a squad of footballers he built a legacy. The club is set up quite well to succeed.

It’ll be a tough year next year even before Fergie retiring.

glupton1976
    Free Member

That’ll be the last of the old school managers hanging up his tracksuit then.

Definitely one of the greatest managers ever to take charge of a team.

disco_stu
    Free Member

If Moyes takes over at Man U does this mean Rooney might be on his way out in the summer?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Personally I do not like the man at all but I do have a lot of respect for the way he has built some very successful teams over his 26 years at the club. It is a big job for whoever takes over after him. David Moyes would be an interesting choice who has proved pretty consistent at Everton where there is a not much budget at all. I don’t know that it is particularly relevant that he has not really won anything as a manager – not many managers have. What he has achieved at Everton and the way they can play is admirable. I am not sure that Jose is really a good fit for United though. I’m pretty sure that most fans would not like him (irrespective of the fact that he was manager at Chelsea) as his style of play is not what they are used to or want to see.

As mentioned ^^ I suspect the successor ha already been chosen and has known for a little while. Which could suggest it is Moyes. Or else Moyes suspected it ay happen and is waiting to see if Fergies successor comes from a big club that he can then move in on.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Fergie’ is closed to new replies.