Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Fenix experts – 5plus vs 6X?
  • Premier Icon Kryton57

Short question, being an older model if the 5 plus is half the price, it appears to still be a very good sports watch right?

Uses would be weekend outdoors stuff, ride / location recording and general smart watch / rugged stuff, I don’t need Pulse ox, Google pay or some of the most extensive mapping features for my use and neither am I in the wilderness long enough to need a massive battery life.

Or have I missed something?

Premier Icon ahsat

My 5S is excellent – and does many things I don’t really need. Don’t feel any need to upgrade just to keep up with Garmins marketing team. If you can get the 5 significantly cheaper, go for it.

The pulse ox on them isn’t that accurate. Nowhere in the UK real takes Garmin pay… etc.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

Nowhere in the UK real takes Garmin pay… etc.

Even if they did the list of participating banks is short and mostly not the big names

Premier Icon gilesmartin81

I spent ages trying to decide between the 5 Pro and the 6 Solar. In the end i couldn’t justify the extra cost and went with the 5 and can confirm that it is an amazing smart sports watch.

Once you get past looking at the various specs and start using it, you don’t notice the differences. the 5 works really well and has even contributed to my decision to start running.

If you want to use the Garmin Pay, i set up a Revolut MasterCard account which works, Visa didn’t. However it is not the easiest to activate, I had hoped you just hold the watch near the payment reader but you need to go to the menu and select the card first.

Based on the saving I would go for the 5 Pro again every time.

Premier Icon Kryton57

If I’m reading the reviews right then, for my use its worth getting the 5 not the Plus based on battery life and not the 5X due to size or maps, and not needing Google Pay or Music streaming. And then definitely not the 6 based on price – I can get a 5 for £250

Premier Icon muggomagic

I recently went from a 5X to a 6 pro. The 5X was a great watch and the perfect replacement from the apple watch and garmin 520 combo I was using before.
    I went for the 6 pro as it was on offer so I got it for £400 with cashback and discount.
    The 6 is a much nicer looking watch has a better display, is a lot thinner so fits nicer on the wrist. Also the widgets and notifications are better as is the battery life.
    There are some training and recovery metrics that you don’t get on the 5 watches which are actually pretty informative even as someone who has never paid that much attention to that stuff. The newer models come with new Elevate HR sensor too.
    I have a Revolut bank account that I got as you can have 2 junior accounts that I put the kids pocket money in and that works with Garmin Pay. I’ve not had a chance to use GP yet but it may come in handy for that post ride pint once the pubs are open again.
    Are any of those worth the extra over the 5? That’s up to you.

Premier Icon ditch_jockey

I recently swapped my old Fenix 3 for a 5, mainly because I wanted the option of a wrist based HRM for general fitness monitoring. I can’t recall which specific model I went for, but it’s 42mm, so sits more comfortably on my wrist than my old 3 which is about 46mm.

It’s got a range of features, most of which I don’t currently use, and haven’t properly explored yet. Route logging seems pretty dependable, and I’ve used it for one 2 day hillwalking trip last Autumn where it lasted all the way back to the car. I really like to ‘multi sport’ logging option, where you can have it switch between ‘MTB’ for the ride into a hill, then ‘Hike’ for the actual hillwalk. I can, theoretically, do the same thing with ski touring, although the current lockdown restrictions mean that’s not been tested so far.

I don’t use it for navigation (other than occasional GR checks which it performs briskly).

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

If I’m reading the reviews right then, for my use its worth getting the 5 not the Plus based on battery life and not the 5X due to size or maps, and not needing Google Pay or Music streaming. And then definitely not the 6 based on price – I can get a 5 for £250

So what are you getting over and above your Instinct?

I had an Instinct, got one of the 5s on offer at SP and then returned it and got a 6X Pro.
    The key upgrades for me are Music, Garmin Pay (using Curve), Maps and Navigation. And the altimeter / stair counter stuff actually works.

I did dabble with an Apple Watch for a couple of months, but I punted that on and returned to the 6X Pro.

Premier Icon kiwijohn

Whatever you get, get the sapphire screen.
    I’m very impressed at how unscratchable my 5X is.

Premier Icon Aidy
    Free Member

Nowhere in the UK real takes Garmin pay… etc.

Everywhere that takes contactless payments takes Garmin Pay?

I’ve used it a fair amount

Premier Icon Kryton57

So what are you getting over and above your Instinct?

No feeling of depression every time I put it on? Its just got dull TBH and I might prefer the Fenix UI.

Premier Icon muggomagic

Whatever you get, get the sapphire screen.
    I’m very impressed at how unscratchable my 5X is.

The sapphire screen is incredibly scratch resistant and I was always accidentally knocking my watch against walls, door frames etc and there are no marks at all. But comparing my 5X to the 6pro the sapphire screen isn’t as clear and sharp as Gorilla glass. When I first got the 6 I kept thinking the backlight was on as it just looked so bright and clear compared to the 5X. I’m hoping the GG isn’t easily scratched as it is a much nicer looking display compared to the 5X.

One other thing to consider is that I have also seen reviewers talk about how sapphire glass is more prone to shattering as it’s very rigid. You’d like to think that’s less of an issue on a small screen like a watch than it is a smartphone that people shove in their back pocket and sit on, but it’s worth thinking about.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

I have an Instinct, V4 and Fenix 6 pro sapphire.
    Instinct for when I’m likely to bash it, V4 at work and F6 for all other times.

The F6 (and V4) Garmin pay works brilliantly with Revolut and Starling on mine.
    The updated HR sensor on V4 and F6 are much better than that on the instinct.

I would echo above comment about sapphire. It definitely is harder to read than the V4. I’d probably get the standard model plus screen protector if I did it again.

Premier Icon petrieboy
    Free Member

I went from a 3hr to a 6xPro. The bigger and brighter screen is nice but harming pay doesn’t work with any of my cards and I’ve yet to use mapping in anger yet.

I really wanted the Marq because I’m proper fancy but couldn’t justify the premium.
    As with so many top end things – it’s more a want thing than a need so the 5 looks like a great deal

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Garmin Pay works with Curve, which is free and easy to set up.

If you want maps you’ll need a 5 Plus or a 6 Pro. Advise caution paying near full price at the moment as Fenix 7 rumoured later this year.

Premier Icon jam-bo

No feeling of depression every time I put it on? Its just got dull TBH and I might prefer the Fenix UI.

moved on from moving on from consumerism then? 😉

Premier Icon petec
    Free Member

i have a 5x plus. Not really for cycling (got a wahoo for that), but running/hiking/kayaking etc

Two observations from me

the sapphire glass is handy. I have a penchant for scratching watch glass. Not a mark on it – and it’s had some hard knocks (and tying kayaks onto car rooves)

Every time i go for a walk in a new area (and there’s been a lot of walks in the last 9 months), the maps is incredibly useful. Downloaded the free talkytoaster ones – and honestly, I now couldn’t have one without maps.

Obviously, others may disagree

I’ve set up garmin pay, but it seems ridiculously complicated in comparison with google pay. Not used the music, as I like to listen to the birdies when walking/running. And generally have my phone with me anyway.

Premier Icon Kryton57

moved on from moving on from consumerism then?

Fair point and by the time I realised the implication of OTS post it was too late to edit. Yes I should save it and use the Instinct as a grey slab of a tool for the job.

Turns out saving money in 12 months of lockdowns with very little means of making any interest is tremendously dull, even more so than owning an Instinct. Could be worse though!

Premier Icon jam-bo

oh I know. the only reason I haven’t bought a gravel bike I don’t need is nothing is in stock…

Premier Icon DickBarton

The 5 is a perfectly good watch…it might not have the latest bits the 6 does but it also doesn’t have the price tag.

Garmin Pay works with Starling (and a few others)…is handy as it works well instead of finding a card amongst the other junk thrown in the same storage compartment, but that is being used as a basic contactless solution (just goes through Garmin Pay instead of the card directly – but it is a near instant notification of money spent so no issues with it).

I don’t think having the watch as a payment device is going to be a massive thing any time soon – I do think it will become the norm but not for a while yet – especially as folk seem more willing to use their phones for the payments.

Premier Icon muggomagic

Regarding Garmin Pay, how does it work? I’ve not used it to buy anything yet and I have only looked at it via the shortcut menu and you have to enter a passcode with up, down and select buttons which seems pretty slow and clunky.

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

When it came out, the reviews said 5 was a great watch with a dodgy GPS problem. Not great HR too.
    Reports were that it was a hardware issue and unfixable through software updates, that’s why the next models followed so quickly.
    Maybe later production was fixed, don’t know, but there does seem to be a massive surplus of fives on big discounts.
    I wouldn’t want one, lots of functions, but if the two most basic underlying data sets are iffy then everything else is really just a function of bad data.
    Would jump at at a 6 though, if on offer.

Premier Icon savoyad

I don’t think having the watch as a payment device is going to be a massive thing any time soon

I said that when I got my garmin pay enabled watch. I thought it was a novelty extra I’d never get round to using. But I actually use it for nearly every payment I make now. It’s accepted everywhere (it’s just normal contactless), there’s no limit, my watch is the last thing I’d ever forget to take anywhere. Surprised myself.

If you don’t fancy a newfangled fancybank like revolut or starling, just get a curve card and put only your normal debit card through it. Easy.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

I use garmin pay frequently…very rapid to put in code on Fenix and even quicker on V4

Premier Icon muggomagic

When I had an apple watch I would use it to pay all the time as it was more convenient than having to get my phone out my pocket and unlock etc.
    Do you have to enter the code every time you pay for something? Probably just as easy to do that now as with wearing a mask in shops now means my phone makes me enter the passcode each time anyway.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Regarding Garmin Pay, how does it work? I’ve not used it to buy anything yet and I have only looked at it via the shortcut menu and you have to enter a passcode with up, down and select buttons which seems pretty slow and clunky.

Pick a simple code – it doesn’t have to the be same as the card. You’ve had a really bad day if you get mugged for your watch and the mugger guesses the PIN too.

I actually use(d) it quite a lot if I was out running and wanted to buy a bottle of water or an ice-cream etc because you don’t need to carry a phone or card with you.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

I have just got the 6X and it is bloody brilliant. The larger screen alone (same case size, smaller bezel) make it worth it. The mapping and navigation is incredibly well implemented and the whole thing is of tank like build. No way would I go for a 5 Plus now.

I am not too fussed about a sapphire screen – the nice thing about the Fenix range is the metal surround to the bezel is raised a bit so a screen protector fits nicely without causing a lip to the edge of the glass.

As for Garmin pay – I think there’s 2 banks in the UK that support it so it’s not a feature I use (it may be a few more but it is not well supported). I did very recently have an apple watch and pay by watch was nice but given phone or card is contactless more often than not these days I do not really miss it.

Premier Icon alaric
    Free Member

You can speed up access to Garmin Pay by setting it as shortcut – I access mine with a long press bottom left. You only have to enter the PIN once every 24 hours or when the watch has been taken off.

And, yes as previously stated its pretty quick to enter the PIN.

Premier Icon ditch_jockey

On the HRM function of the 5, I can only speak anecdotally, but I’ve never seen any significant discrepancies between the track from my Wahoo Tickr and the wrist based HRM from the 5.

Likewise track logging rides – the track generally follows a similar pattern to my iPhone and Garmin 530, in that they’re spot on in open country and sometimes wander very slightly when canyoned by trees.

Premier Icon jam-bo

wrist HRM seems very wrist specific. some swear they don’t work at all, I’ve had garmin and now apple and both types have worked pretty much flawlessly.

Premier Icon baddddad
    Free Member

Went from a 5 to a 5 plus and the battery life went significantly in the wrong direction (2 weeks to about 5 days with gps use most days). Thought I’d use the Garmin Pay and Spotify integration but hardly ever do. Also had no issues with HRM on the 5

6X sounds like a much better bet

Premier Icon Wally

Santander supports Garmin pay – so get a 123 account. Works for me.

@Kryton57 I think it’s a decent upgrade over the Instinct. If you fancy moving your Instinct on, I might be interested for the boy.

Premier Icon superfli
    Free Member

Two of the best features of the newer watches (I have the 945), are Music and Garmin Pay. I actually thought the 5plus would do garmin pay?
    Anyway, I setup a Starling acc just for this purpose and chuck some change into it every now and again. Very useful. Its far better than my phone NFC payments which seem to be limited to about £40. It doesnt appear to have a limit. Its got me out of a few situations before. Just a quick transfer of some cash to my Starling acc and I can use the watch.
    Music whilst running is very useful to me. I dont want to take my phone. On the bike, I would have the phone anyway.

Premier Icon ahsat

Thanks for the heads up that Starling allow Garmin Pay. My two main accounts don’t but I have a starling account for when I’m travelling (not that is happening!). But I always have my phone on me (maybe the difference of being a woman!) so it’s never been something I’ve felt I’ve needed when Apple Pay works so well, and works with my main account.

My iPhone’s face recognition to pay is currently a pain. Garmin pay on the watch is logistically easier at the moment.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.