Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fenix 3 as a smartwatch (coming from a Pebble)
  • Aidy
    Free Member

Anyone jumped from a Pebble to a Fenix? What’d you reckon?

The only things I really use on the Pebble are notifications and calendar reminders, it’s nice to be able to reply to the odd message by voice, but I kinda figure that’s got a limited shelf life now.

Stoner
    Free Member

managed to leave my pebble at security at Bristol airport the other day.

Quite liked the ability to read emails/hangout msgs etc and reply with canned responses or transcribed voice. But pebble is obviously a dead Co. now and I was constantly fighting with it to get it to stay connected by Bluetooth.

Am looking for a replacement too, and in a sea of cheap chinese smart watches and expensive Android Wear devices Im lost. But Im not inclined to go Garmin ever again. Poor firmware for the price and a no exciting developments.

Cougar

I really like my Huawai Watch if that’s any help. Annihilates the Pebble.

nemesis
    Free Member

How so? Link?

Stoner
    Free Member

HW watch has been on my radar. Is it full android wear?

I v rarely wear a watch though, so Im worried about losing it as I tend to take them off and then forget Im not wearing one (hence lost pebble at Brizz)

Its still an expensive trinket. So why Im looking at cheap chinese too.

nemesis
    Free Member

Have an iPhone now 🙁

Liked that the pebble worked with both

EDIT Looks like android wear 2 works with ios

Stoner
    Free Member

Have an iPhone now

wallow in your own poo. You’re dead to me now.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m dead to myself if that helps. Company provided so not my choice

Toasty

Yeah, I went from Samsung Android Watch thing (1 day battery life was terrible), to Pebble Time (the entire ecosystem always just felt flaky and half finished), to Fenix 3.

In all honesty, I mainly use the Fenix 3 for notifications and as the worlds most expensive pedometer. It works very nicely as a daily watch though, the battery life is similar to the Pebble, if not more, easily a week if you’re not using the GPS much. It’s just a really solid bit of kit I can’t see myself ever finding a reason to swap out.

I use my Edge when biking most of the time, then the Fenix for anything else, it obviously pairs with my entire collection of random ANT+ bits. I don’t think I could justify one at this point in my life, cost wise, but I’m glad I bought one when I could! 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah – battery life is a concern, really want at least a week. Pretty much every android wear thing is out for that reason, unfortunately.

Aidy
    Free Member

Toasty – how do you find the notifications compared with the Pebble?

Cougar

HW watch has been on my radar. Is it full android wear?

2.0 yes. The only thing it’s noticeably missing is an NFC chip (so I added a bPay Loop to the strap which is cool but overpriced). There’s a Watch 2 out now, but I’m not as keen on the aesthetics.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Stainless-Classic-Smartwatch-Leather/dp/B017XDOBJW (though we picked it up on an Amazon deal, Black Friday maybe, for like £170).

Cougar

Oh, one other thing, it’s not great in direct sunlight (like most phone displays really).

battery life is a concern, really want at least a week.

Yeah, that was the killer app with the Pebble, Kindle-a-like screen with the corresponding battery life. I probably get a day and a half out of the Huawai, though that’s with the display always-on and it takes no time at all to charge (half an hour for a full charge maybe).

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a Vivoactive HR. Bit 80s in looks, but over a week of battery, GPS, HR and relays all phone notifications.

The firmware is not that bad for Garmin. Although I am aware that is not the most glowing of endorsements.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My Fenix 3 occasionally gets used for notifications, weather and turning up the music when I’m in the shower!
    Plus it’s dual time, and a great sports watch/GPS etc etc……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fenix 3 as a smartwatch (coming from a Pebble)’ is closed to new replies.