Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Feng Shui?
  • GrahamS

People really do believe some mental stuff.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go carve a demonic face into a large squash to ward off the evil spirits on All Hallow’s Eve.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you present data that way then yes everything correlates but then who knows there might be some unexplained correlation.

and we finally get back to Causation vs Correlation

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go carve a demonic face into a large squash to ward off the evil spirits on All Hallow’s Eve.

Yes, what’s with this Halloween thingy? Can’t be arsed to Google so chinwag you go. 😛

mikewsmith – Member
    and we finally get back to Causation vs Correlation

I think even in modern sciences (generally speaking not related to FS) the attempt to establish causation is very limited in many fields especially at the early stage of investigation. I mean how many factors do you need to rule before you can provide definite answer to the causation. Even the factors themselves are topics for chinwagging and by the time you reach some sort of understanding many years have passed.

Therefore, the need to find genuine causation might be “blue sky thinking whatever that means or fairies” at times, while correlation might at least give you some hope so long as you apply common sense.

spot
    Free Member

Sounds very interesting
    Will give it a go
    After i’m done waiting for the effect of my powdered rhino horn to kick in…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Apparently the followings will happen, speculatively, in no particular order:
    1. Health
    2. Finance
    3. Career

Admittedly this is pretty distasteful but….
    I imagine at least some of the approx. 45 million people killed in the great leap forward were FS practitioners – if this is the case it doesn’t appear to impact positively on the above selfish desires.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think even in modern sciences (generally speaking not related to FS) the attempt to establish causation is very limited in many fields especially at the early stage of investigation. I mean how many factors do you need to rule before you can provide definite answer to the causation.

2 parts.
    First is proving that there is no link between your claim and the effect.
    Then proving what the cause actually was, I’ll let you waste years proving FS causes things to happen. It would be easy to prove it didn’t. By simply surveying the loves of people who a) do what you suggest, b) do the exact opposite (angles, holes etc) and c) some random people you should get a good idea.

You also need to ask the questions in a fair way – did something happen is not one of them. There are some nutjob anti windfarm/phone mast people around who very cleverly use suggestion to implant symptoms, if I asked you if you had any problems since it was turned on you could list some random stuff, if I carefully ask you if you have trouble sleeping, get headaches etc. I can “Show” that there is a link (with bad science)

CountZero

It works for the Chinese(honed over thousands of years).

Much like powdered rhino horn then? Rhinos are being butchered for their horn, which supposedly has magical health benefits, the reality being the animals are being exterminated for powdered keratin, which is what fingernails are made from, thus instead of exterminating a magnificent animal because of some society-wide delusion, you could just collect the nail clippings of millions of people, grind them up and label the stuff as magic rhino horn and make a financial killing.
    Much like FS.
    I lost a job I’d been doing for over eleven years back in July, then after a couple of weeks I got another job, which I’m much, much happier doing, after the stress which was damaging my health.
    And you know what? I didn’t change around one item of furniture, dig one hole, bury one piece of wood, or bang any nails into anything.
    Yeah, FS really worked for me! 🙄

Cougar

I ain’t giving anything away until you try it out.

So… we tell you what happened, and then you go “yeah, see! I knew that would happen.”

Right.

let’s all just chinwag.

Aw, you’ve leaned a new word.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    2 parts.

Just give a try then we can chinwag about whether it is or it is not.

CountZero – Member
    Much like FS.

That’s medical this is FS. You might try to establish association that such thinkings are alike but they are not.

What you have just described about your new job etc is really a stab in the dark innit.

Now go try out my experiments rather than trying to provide excuses.

Cougar – Moderator
    So… we tell you what happened, and then you go “yeah, see! I knew that would happen.”

Right. Nope. Coz the “results” have already been written so impossible for me to change them. The only thing is to see if those results are consistent with those written.

Aw, you’ve leaned a new word.

Yes, Chinwag. Very funny way of describing having conversation. I keep imagining my chin wagging if you must know …

Rob Hilton – Member
    Admittedly this is pretty distasteful but….
    I imagine at least some of the approx. 45 million people killed in the great leap forward were FS practitioners

How on earth do you speculatively attribute such atrocity to FS practitioners? 😆 If FS can do that then I would be very happy as they can help reduce human population.

Oh ya … Chairman Mao, a non-believer of anything religion etc, killed nearly double that and he considered himself a man of science. 😮

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    2 parts.

Just give a try then we can chinwag about whether it is or it is not.[/quote]
    Selective reading again, you prove it works we will prove it’s correlation -quite easily I expect.

In other news, something happened on the way into work.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Selective reading again, you prove it works we will prove it’s correlation -quite easily I expect.

In other news, something happened on the way into work.

See another excuse.

Just do it man! What’s with all this poncy excuses of attempting to avoid doing some simple experiments?

Like I said before once you have done the experiments then we can discuss all we want. I shall ask you if things have look up/down for you and according to your information, I shall then put my points forward to see if my explanation make sense then we can continue form there so how hard can that be?

We need to start the experiment somewhere so just try it man!

RobHilton
    Free Member

How on earth do you speculatively attribute such atrocity to FS practitioners?

How on earth do deliberately mis-read that as doing so?

The point was FS did shit-all for these people. In short, magic don’t work.

dissonance

Like I said before once you have done the experiments then we can discuss all we want.

For it to be a semi useful experiment you will need a control group and preferably have it blind to both the participant and the main tester. You need someone to sneak round and start banging nails through innertubes or whatever as opposed to having people do it themselves.

Cougar

Nope. Coz the “results” have already been written so impossible for me to change them. The only thing is to see if those results are consistent with those written.

So why not tell us what they are if they’re immutable?

Worried about prior knowledge biasing the result? That’s a fair objection. Would you be prepared to write these results down and have them held by a third party for a year if someone were to take you up on your challenge? I’d be more than happy to escrow for that.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rob Hilton – Member
    The point was FS did shit-all for these people. In short, magic don’t work.

It is time to do some experiment so stop that poncy excuse and do it then we chinwag.

dissonance – Member
    For it to be a semi useful experiment you will need a control group and preferably have it blind to both the participant and the main tester. You need someone to sneak round and start banging nails through innertubes or whatever as opposed to having people do it themselves.

I know that you need control group etc, which we can do after we try this out to see if it is worth leading to proper test innit. I trust the people to try it with honesty after all what is there to gain or to loose? Try it!

Cougar – Moderator
    So why not tell us what they are if they’re immutable?

The have their so called results so I just want to compare them myself.

Worried about prior knowledge biasing the result? That’s a fair objection. Would you be prepared to write these results down and have them held by a third party for a year if someone were to take you up on your challenge? I’d be more than happy to escrow for that.

The results can be different for everyone so this experiment is just to give a general hint direction to come and if needs be then the experiments will be done properly by writing the results. Before we proceed with the real experiments we will chinwag again so everything is clear. Do this general experiment now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know that you need control group etc, which we can do after we try this out to see if it is worth leading to proper test innit. I trust the people to try it with honesty after all what is there to gain or to loose? Try it!

Because we have no way of knowing if FS caused it or a dodgy reheated curry

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Because we have no way of knowing if FS caused it or a dodgy reheated curry

That is a topic for later discussion ok.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Feng Shui?’ is closed to new replies.