Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fencing Question
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone had any gravel board/ half gravel board half timber fencing done recently.
    What kind of cost was it?
    Got a 14 meter fence needs replacing.

chipster

I bought 13 panels worth of 6′ fencing (mostly 8′ posts [4 x 9′], gravel boards (had to double up some of them), premium wooden panels, last summer.
    It came to about £850 in materials, iirc, from a local place where a lot of tradesmen go.
    I helped a neighbour to put them up.
    He did the other side of the house a few weeks after, but I paid someone else to help him.
    Edit: they were 4′ high panels, mostly 1′ boards (some 6″)

eskay

Had some panels put up earlier in the year (concrete posts, 12″ concrete gravel boards and 6ft panels) it worked out around £100 per panel fitted.

kevs
    Free Member

A local fencer to me does featherboard fences for £55 a metre. Thats plymouth so location prices probably vary vastly

dirkpitt74

Last time I had fencing done – concrete posts, 2ft gravel boards & 4ft panels it worked out about £200/bay.

singlespeedstu

Should concrete posts be concreted in to the ground with a wet mix of cement or is the dirt that came out the hole mixed with dry cement enough?

dirkpitt74

I’d go for the bags of post mix – dump it in the hole and just add water….

stevied
    Free Member

Should concrete posts be concreted in to the ground with a wet mix of cement or is the dirt that came out the hole mixed with dry cement enough?

Use a couple of bags of postcrete per post.
    When we had ours done it was around £900 for 30m materials (arris rails not panels). £150/day labour

grtdkad

We’ve just had a full (pressure treat) timber fence done : 35 Metres feather and two gates.
    Worked out at £80/metre 😐. It looks good but wasn’t cheap.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

The average in Essex is £100 per panel for a concrete post and slot in panel fence.

towzer

Get the posts with bitumen wraps/postsaver/etc at soil level, the posts always go therefirst, that seems to help,

molgrips
    Free Member

If you use normal concrete it’s an absolute bastard to remove when the posts eventually fail. The builders put my fence in so they used a digger to make a big hole and poured their normal concrete in from a mixer. The concrete lumps are huge, I got once out the first time I tried because it happened to break in half; the next one I could not shift so I dug the rotten wood out of the hole and wedged a new post in.

avdave2

For concrete posts that last years though that isn’t likely to be a problem is it molgrips.

I’ve had a post fail not because it rotted away but because with very wet ground and high winds the postcrete in the ground moves. You can try and re-firm the ground around it but it’s not easy. My method now is to start with a concrete repair spur and plenty of concrete. Then a liberal application of waterproof grease to the threaded rod holding the wooden post to the spur. It’s a bit nicer aesthetically than concrete posts but hugely increases the longevity of the wooden posts.

CheesybeanZ

Stu , dig hole but concrete post in pour in water then postcrete, bit more water. Check post is upright Job done
    Mixing soil and concrete is a big no .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fencing Question’ is closed to new replies.