Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Fellow gaming geeks – recommend me an online shooter please…
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

… that isn’t anything to do with COD, BF or Halo. Oh, and on the Xbox 360 too. Thanks in advance 😀

EDIT : Oops, bike forum, sorry

jekkyl

PC? Team Fortress 2. Free to play and it is excellent. Very immediate and easy to play, lifetime to master.

Lifer
    Free Member

Operation Flashpoint is pretty good for a more tactical shooter

jon1973
    Free Member

Two Gun Turtle – ZX Spectrum

Milkie
    Free Member

GoldenEye on N64… oh they also do it on X360 😉

lowey

Jekkyl beat me to it. But its PC platform.

TF2 for free is just brilliant!

Drac

TF2 is on Orange box so I think it’s on Xbox 360 too.

A great jump into game.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Titanfall in march

Smudger666

+1 for the two OP flashpoint games – be prepared to be absolutely smashed by the guys who have played it for a while though.

As shooters go, the single player game is remarkably rewarding IMO.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

You could download Steam and play Black Mesa for free.

lowey

Black Mesa

Single player.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Thanks so far

Like the sound of Operation Flashpoint, just had a quick read of reviews

TF2 a good shout, never played it when I had Orange Box years ago, do people still play it online on Xbox 360 then?

So can I download Steam to the Xbox 360?

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

lowey is right, it’s single player – if you were after multiplayer. It’s a great singleplayer though. Have no idea re: Xbox 360 but I suspect it’s not possible or is a massive pain in the posterior. Sorry – missed that bit.

dan1980
    Free Member

Farcry 3?

Had a lot of fun in the online multiplayer on the PS3.

The single player bit is rather good too.

jekkyl

Oh sorry I missed the Xbox 360 part on the OP.
    No steam is a PC only platform.
    1st person shooters on consoles are rubbish anyway IMO, using the thumb sticks to turn around in the time it takes to get killed by someone else.

Drac

I found it to be one of the worst games I’ve ever played, unless they patched it heavily on release it was just bloody awful. Bad mechanics, slow game play and very very dull.

Lifer
    Free Member

I got it on release and thought it was brill.

But then played the old one on the PC for years. Certainly ‘slower’ pace than your normal shooter, more freedom too. But (in singleplayer) you will spend 30 minutes getting somewhere just to get shot in the head by someone you can’t see. Which I think is nice compared to COD et al, a bit of peril. Brillaint in co-op mode too.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ah, Far Cry 3, I’ve got that! Absolutely caned the single player but for some reason didn’t even consider multiplayer online. I’ll give that a go later

Also, going to get Orange Box again anyway, for TF2, and also just to play through the brilliant Half Life 2 games again

Thanks for the help

CaptJon
    Free Member

Not sure how many people still play it online, but Mass Effect 3 has a great, and very addictive multiplier.

cranberry
    Free Member

I found it to be one of the worst games I’ve ever played, unless they patched it heavily on release it was just bloody awful. Bad mechanics, slow game play and very very dull.

It has a steep learning curve and it is very different in nature to the whack-a-mole games like COD, but if you stick with it its rewarding.

Crell
    Free Member

I used to play OFP then ARMA II & III (the proper sucessors to the first 2 OFP’s)

Best thing I’ve played recently is Day Z (alpha). Bonkers, not really a shooter but just brilliant (if you ignore the problems it has – it is an alpha after all).

Drac

Day Z is great been playing the Arma II mod version for ages had some great fun, I’ve got the standalone Alpha now too but latterly not had much time to play.

wilko1999
    Free Member

The premise of Day Z really appeals to me, was watching a mate play it, but I only have an Xbox 360. No room to house, or money to buy a decent gaming PC unfortunately

Cougar

Red Dead Redemption.

I think when we finally bury the 360, that’s going to be my top title on the platform.

mrchrispy

might be worth looking at this weeks humble bundle.
    ARMA (+op arrow head) and DayZ (plus a couple of others) for $6

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

paypal it, get the codes sent to you via email and pop them in steam.
    download and play, dead easy

wilko1999
    Free Member

I give up 😀

Drac

Hehe!

mrchrispy

sorry 😉

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ha no worries

So my next line of questioning as I really fancy playing Day Z, plus a number of other PC titles (maybe I should start a new thread, or try a more relevant forum)…

What cheap (new or 2nd hand), compact, gaming PC, that I can hook up to my TV, that won’t be too much bigger than my Xbox 360? Doesn’t have to perform at the very latest speeds (I’m used to an Xbox 360 remember 🙂 )

scuzz
    Free Member

How cheap is cheap? 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Good question. £500 is about as much as I could scrape together, taking into account getting shot of the Xbox. Toying with either PS4 or gaming PC at the moment. Depends what I can get for my money really.

lowey

Just built one up. I5, 8 gig ram, ASUS GTX 660

Whisker over £500 but plays Far Cry 3 at a staggering resolution.

If your confident of building your own you will save easy £150. The machine I built was about £700 on one of the prebuilt sites.

scuzz
    Free Member

Have a look
    Here’s what you can get new for that kind of money – threw it together, but it’s a good place to start.
    New kit (although can’t upgrade CPU without upgrading motherboard), good enough GPU, fast reliable (but small) SSD, more than enough power from a PSU made by a decent manufacturer and a good enough CPU (but I’d upgrade this to an i5 with any spare cash). Double check it’ll fit in that case (shouldn’t be a problem)
    £431 without an OS or storage drive.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Homefront?

Heard it was an ok game.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Nice one scuzz, thanks. Good price for the SSD. I’ve got a large external hard drive already ( 😉 ), and can source an OS, so that looks very promising.

Building my own is the best option I think, I’m confident enough to do the construction and ‘wiring’, and should be able to get any help if I go wrong from our IT dept at work

scuzz
    Free Member

No trouble, have a good weekend 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Fellow gaming geeks – recommend me an online shooter please…’ is closed to new replies.