Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Fell running shoes
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

I am continually puzzled by people wearing Mudclaws on dry summer MM’s such as the SLMM, but i suppose if they are comfy then that’s all that matters.

Pieface

Because whatever terrain may be thrown at you you’ll never regret having too much grip.

Its a psychology thats difficult to un-learn

Clink

dry summer MM’s

Hmmm – not always dry!

Cheers for all the advice chaps.

TomHill
    Free Member

I am continually puzzled by people wearing Mudclaws on dry summer MM’s such as the SLMM, but i suppose if they are comfy then that’s all that matters.

As Clink says… “Summer” hasn’t been that dry in recent years. Even damp grass on the kind of slope you can be asked to run down on a typical MM can be lethally slippy. Inov- 8 rubber is also superbly grippy on rock. Best of both worlds, really.

wombat

I’m doing the SLMM this year too and have just bought (2 weeks ago) a pair of Mizuna trail shoes (can’t remember the model name). They fit like my road shoes and feel like a pair of (very fast and grippy) slippers, lovely 🙂

Ran the SLMM in 2011 in a pair of Inov8 Terrocs and found that whilst they gripped very well the soles were too flexible and my feet were in agony for about a week afterwards.

Whatever you choose, do NOT get goretex uppers. your feet will get wet anyway and ypu’re much better having shoes that’ll let the wet out quickly rather than hold it in (IMO & IME)

As tragically1969 says (sort of), fit is everything

anonymouse
    Free Member

Mudclaws work for everything except long road sections (where they’re a little unforgiving) and wet rock, for which nothing works.

3P this year was dry as a bone and mudclaws did the job for me.

TomHill
    Free Member

Anonymouse – I think running style might make a difference. I use minimalist stuff on the road anyway, and don’t have any probs using Baregrips for prolonged road or hard trail sections. Accept I’m probably in the minority though!

I’ll be at Saunders too. Sounds like there’ll be a good sized STW contingent. Just doing Carrock, got fingers crossed for good weather for some mid-camp sunbathing 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

Captain – Member

“Summer” hasn’t been that dry in recent years. ever

(apart from 1976)

doog
    Free Member

Can’t help with the Kanadias I’m afraid, but I’ve been through a couple of pairs of La Sportiva Crosslites and get on well with them over mixed Lakes terrain. You can get cosmetic seconds at a reasonable price from Pete Bland:
    http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/la-sportiva-crosslite-cosmetic-seconds.htm?brand=1

Will be at the Saunders too – see you there!

Edit – woops, just read the bit where you said you’d already tried these but couldn’t get the right size from PB. Sorry!

Pieface

The Kanadia’s are my everyday training shoe on paths and they’re OK, however the grip is a bit lacking and they’re quite cushioned / unbalanced due to their height for rough stuff IMO

mikehow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch the Kanadias for an MM, great all round training shoe but lack any beef in the sole and are a bit high.

My mate used them when we did the OMM on Dartmoor but I wouldn’t fancy them on steep ground.

Mizuno Wave Harriers aren’t too bad, but again lack the sort of bite I prefer.

You’ll see all sorts of shoes used on an MM, you’ll have Mudclaws all the way through to cockneys using road shoes 😯

Fell running

Wasdale Fell Race by Andy Holden, on Flickr

mogrim

Trail running:

You’re right, it’s fell running’s glamorous cousin.

piemonster

You get fat old blokes trail running too.

And Im still scarred from seeing Frenchies near Cauterets out running in nowt but tight Speedos.

davetrave
    Free Member

Fell running is middle aged men in tiny shorts and vest carrying a tatty bumbag out of regulatory need over rough ground.

Oi, I’m not middle-aged! Least, I like to think not – 37 is mid-30’s, which means young… Although I do wear small shorts and a vest. And my bumbag’s not particulalry tatty…

mogrim

You get fat old blokes trail running too.

And Im still scarred from seeing Frenchies near Cauterets out running in nowt but tight Speedos.

Not doing a google image search for that!

piemonster

Oi, I’m not middle-aged! Least, I like to think not – 37 is mid-30’s, which means young

Only in Fell Running circles does 37 = young

piemonster

And have you seen what Killian Jornet usually runs in.

Looks like a bony semi all wrapped up in his shiny white lycra

Glamorous my ****

Pieface

Google images on Killian is a bit more revealing 😯

mogrim

And have you seen what Killian Jornet usually runs in.

Looks like a bony semi all wrapped up in his shiny white lycra

Glamorous my ****

lol did find some slightly dodgy videos, great locations though…

Edit: white-lycra-tastic:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTlj5qxb8x0[/video]

piemonster

His traverse of the Pyrenees is worth a watch

nosemineb
    Free Member

Pieface say hello then. I will be in a Ripon runner shirt. Have a good race!

Clink

To update Pete Bland have more stock of the cheap Crosslites so I’ve ordered a pair of those.

Once again thanks for all the help.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Only in Fell Running circles does 37 = young

The first time the wife came to watch me race her comment as I staggered over the line gasping for breath was “it’s not really a young man’s sport, is it?”

I’m 40.

wombat

Blimey, that makes 3 of us of here doing the Saunders this year, I’d assumed I’d be the only one

mikehow
    Free Member

I’d normally be doing it as its normally the weekend before my birthday. This time I’m doing something a bit different.

Pieface

I’ll be at Buckden in a DP vest (Brown with purple and yellow stripe).

Hoping to improve on my 56th place at Fairfield.

Clink

To update Pete Bland have more stock of the cheap Crosslites so I’ve ordered a pair of those.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Turns out they don’t have stock in my size, but they have been helpful and sorted me out something else with discount. Great service as usual. 😀

davetrave
    Free Member

Trail runners are generally pepsi max types wearing salomon / North face and with camelbak type things and crossover shoes (grippy road shoes). They spend a lot of money on compression wear, HRMs, personal trainers, magazine and are suckers for marketing. Tend to be all the gear, no idea.

There’s a (light-hearted, I think anyway) disparaging article in the current issue of The Fellrunner taking the mickey out of, and looking down on, trail-, mountain- and sky-running…

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Fell running shoes’ is closed to new replies.