Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Fell running shoes
  • Clink

Doing the SLMM next month and need some new shoes. I have done mm in the past so know hat I’m letting myself in for!

I’ve narrowed it down to Salomon as they fit my feet – specifically has anyone tried both the Speedcross and Fellcross? The speedcross looks a bit high to me, for a fell shoe?

Please don’t advise Inov8 – they destroy my feet!

davetrave
    Free Member

Please don’t advise Inov8 – they destroy my feet!

OK, I won’t, although I do like Inov-8 shoes…!

Thought about La Sportiva Crosslites? That’s what I’ve got at the moment, very good tread pattern, not as low a drop sole as Inov-8s but certainly not big, foamy road running soles. I find them very grippy across a range of conditions – my fell running regularly takes me across the Dark Peak bogs, rocky Lake District trails and gravelly Cairngorms paths, very stable and a good intermediate drop helping me develop my mid/fore-foot strike running. The cover across the laces also does a good job of keeping the crud out, especially when combined with a pair of debris gaiters.

Clink

Thought about La Sportiva Crosslites?

Funnily enough I have a pair sitting in a box upstairs! 😯

I bought them form PB, but I would normally get half a size up but not left in stock. I ‘think’ they are just about ok – might chance it, seeing as you think they are ok, and try a run this weekend.

seanoc
    Free Member

La Sportiva Crosslite XC are pretty good at this price, although they are a slight compromise in terms of sole flexibility, and longevity (uppers), and grip next to Inov8 X-talon…they are slightly lighter though but with a similar heel height.

But if you’re looking at Speedcross then grip isn’t your priority?;0)
    I genuinely dislike the Speedcross and just can’t understand why so many people wear then, apart from that they are very comfy. I’d love to try the Fellcross but it seems like it has a similar sole, albeit lower, than the Fellcross and at a premium.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a pair of Speedcross – got them going cheap – and no way would I go fell running in them. In fact I’ve only ever run in them once and probably won’t again. Far too high and broad in the heel. No idea about the Fellcross.

How exactly do Inov-8s destroy your feet? I now cut a hole in the heel padding of new ones rather than wait for it to wear there, and they’re then far more comfy than any other proper fell shoe I’ve tried. You may well find that the fit of the Fellcross isn’t quite what you’re expecting if you’re used to broad fitting Salomon trail shoes (I’ve had some Salomon racers in the past and their fit was rather more like Inov-8s than standard Salomons). Fell racing shoes tend to fit a certain way for a reason.

Though the more pertinent question is what have you used before for fell running, and what have you been training in? Why not a pair of those – or are you planning on wearing new shoes for the SLMM?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mate who does the 24 marathons uses both speed cross and fell cross, fell cross for rough terrain and speed cross for smoother stuff.
    He prefers the fellcross’s.
    I use speed cross on local wooded trails that’s all, no idea what I’d be like on t’fells so lets leave my impressions there eh.. 😆

MrSparkle

Pretty sure there should be something useful about this on the FRA forum.

parkesie
    Free Member

I run around in adidas xt work they work for me.

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought all fell runners wore Walshes?

Pieface

Not all Inov8s are created equally. The mudclaw 333s are too tight around my outer, yet the lighter weight ones have less material there and flex, however their longevity leaves a lot to be desired.

The More Mile chviots are a bargain but I think the Mk2s are seriously lacking in reinforcing around the toe box (alot of mesh) and will invariably wear a hole there.

My next shoes would be the yellow Mudclaws – the (near) lightness of an x-talon with the grip of the mudclaw.

Crosslites are good, but a bit clumpy and fragile around the toe box.

The Adizero XT is a nice trail shoe, the sole is not aggressive enough for muddy slopes.

Clink

I’m training locally in trail shoes including Adidas xt’s; planning to use new shoes for last month. I’m having major pf issues so have not trained in fell shoes.

I’ve used Walshes in the past but thought newer shoes might be better. Adidas xt’ are ok but I’ve found the grip rubbish (although different terrain to lakes).

I have a major heel spur and the heel cup on Inov8s gives me massive blisters. I used them when they first came out, again a few years later, and more recently their road shoes. The road shoes made my pf go, but became unusable due to constant blisters on heel. And ye sI tried all the moulding heel cup techniques that Inov8 used to suggest!

The height of the Speedcross has worried me – Fellcross look better in that respect.

footflaps

If its dry I just used ‘retired’ Road running shoes but if it was muddy I used PB Walshes. Not that they’ve seen the light of day in many years now!

dobo
    Free Member

speedcross arnt that bad grip wise, certainly not much better or worse than many other shoes ive worn. never tried a proper fellcross shoe though and no doubt the inov mudclaw etc are better.

i used to rate my speedcross but the more i wear them the more i think my old inov shoes were more comfy (forgot the model) although they did fall to pieces, anoyingly the speedcross are lasting well. they are too high in the heel and also not too comfy on off cambre and steep downhill. could be a bit wider up front too.

my quest for perfect shoes continues, maybe xtalons next

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I wore a pair of Speedcross in the Highlander MM back in April. they were well worn-in and had the benefit of being very comfy but they didn’t inspire confidence going down. Grip was poor on wet, grassy slopes and they were hard work on traverses (heel is just too high).

I’ve always run in Walshes in the past which are the opposite extreme – low and stable with great grip BUT very uncomfortable on my feet.

I’ve just started running in a pair of Mudclaw 265s and so far they seem to be the perfect compromise – stable, great grip and supremely comfortable for my feet. I know this doesn’t help the OP since Inov-8 are off the table, but I wasn’t impressed with the Speedcross as a FELL shoe (fine for trail running though).

aracer
    Free Member

I have a major heel spur and the heel cup on Inov8s gives me massive blisters.

I’ll bet it’s not bigger than mine. See my comment above about cutting holes in the padding on the heel – far more effective than any moulding you can do. Looks like it should be really uncomfortable with a great big hole, but it’s not. Given at the time I came up with that idea I was sponsored by Inov-8 I guess I really should have passed that back in feedback as a suggestion for other people with heel spurs.

Clink

I’ll bet it’s not bigger than mine. See my comment above about cutting holes in the padding on the heel – far more effective than any moulding you can do. Looks like it should be really uncomfortable with a great big hole, but it’s not. Given at the time I came up with that idea I was sponsored by Inov-8 I guess I really should have passed that back in feedback as a suggestion for other people with heel spurs.

Thanks for the tip; if I could get a pair dead cheap I might try it, but I’m not prepared to do it on something costing ££££.

TomHill
    Free Member

Wot Pieface said. The original Mudclaws tore my heels to shreds, no matter what I tried (moulding the heel cup after warming it up over a steaming kettle etc).

It was a real shame as I have never used fell shoes that were so grippy before. Prior to them I had used Walshes and Adidas Swoops. Both pretty good, but not sure if you can buy Swoops any more? I swapped back to Swoops for a while, but while they grip fairly well on wet grass and dry trails, they are awful on wet rock, just lethal.

There seems to be a smaller and smaller market for fell shoes now. Maybe because Inov-8 are taking over? When looking for a new set, I found some Inov-8s on special offer, and took a punt on the Bare-Grips. They probably aren’t for everyone as they are extremely minimalist, but they’ve been a revelation… all the grip that I remember from the Mudclaw, slipper like comfort and light weight. I can’t vouch for other models, but it might be worth trying some on again?

Personally wouldn’t wear Salomons for running anything in – heels are too high for me. Mostly personal preference, but when fell running they are asking for turned ankles.

davetrave
    Free Member

Clink – Member

Thanks for the tip; if I could get a pair dead cheap I might try it, but I’m not prepared to do it on something costing ££££.

Shame you’re about a week late posting as Sportpursuit were doing a massive Inov-8 sale… But yhou could also try Sportsshoes.com.

Crosslites are good, but a bit clumpy and fragile around the toe box.

Can’t say I’ve found mine clumpy, and the toe box is holding up to being bashed around the rock of Peak and Lake Districts with no problems.

MrSparkle – Member
    Pretty sure there should be something useful about this on the FRA forum.

You’re right, but (as I’m sure you’ll know, recognising the same username…!) if the OP doesn’t do his homework first there’ll be a few usual FRA faces who’ll berate him (bit like STW really…)…

surfer
    Free Member

The original Mudclaws tore my heels to shreds, no matter what I tried (moulding the heel cup after warming it up over a steaming kettle etc).

+1 the original ones were a disaster. Tried on several occasions to mould them and persevere because the rest of the fit and the grip was very good. Threw them in the bin eventually. Walshes are very grippy and low but a bit too narrow for me.

totalshell

just bought a pair of innov8 x talon..( forget deep price cutting .. many sizes are literally not available due to an oversight in taiwan or where ever..) they grip there light the sizing is a little wiffy ie my 43’s ( my normal size) ‘feel’ to long but i tried two half sizes either side andthey were the best compromise, with that in mind i’d 100% reccomend buying from a shop so you can try on all those half sizes as i’d have spent weeks and cash sending stuff backward and forward to some warehouse.. complete runner in burnley.. very friendley spent loads of time helping me get what I wanted..

my old walsh’s are loverly stuff but too narrow and i couldnt wear them for more than an hour without getting pins and needles..

doing some of the shorter ( but steeper) bofra races this year especially the burnsall sports..( my daughter won her race last year and the gauntlet was thrown down in no uncertain style.. my aim is to beat someone.. anyone.

mikehow
    Free Member

Speedcross are great shoes but they are at the upper end of the trail shoes. They’ve got a relatively aggressive tread pattern and reasonably good in mud – certainly no mudclaw mind.

For generally off road running and longer distance stuff they are my go to shoe, however the main problem with the Speedcross to my mind is the ankle cut – its high.

On the SLMM you’ll tend to find a lot of contouring is required for the fastest lines and therefore the Speedcross’ ankle cut doesn’t necessarily lend itself to this very well.

If you’re limited to Salomon, Fellcross would be where I’d be going. Just make sure you get plenty of miles in you’ve only got 3 weeks to get them broken in and no nasty suprises!

piemonster

If you’re limited to Salomon, Fellcross would be where I’d be going. Just make sure you get plenty of miles in you’ve only got 3 weeks to get them broken in and no nasty suprises!

Plus one, Fellcross are pricey but tough as old boots. So long as they fit.

mogrim

Out of interest, what’s the difference between fell running and trail running? Marketing? Fell is a subset of trail?

piemonster

Fell involves off path running.

To varying degrees.

Trail is just on trail.

But yes, a bit of a grey area. I don’t think there’s a clear cut line between the two. Unless you go completely off path from start to finish. Also, there is (for race purposes) a minimum ascent requirement for Fell which there isn’t for trail.

Pieface

Fell is gnar.

Basically trail running is easier sort of stuff, not very muddy / steep / rocky, mainly sticking to trails as the name implies.

Fell is generally following any lines that you like (peat bogs, heather bashing) and taking steeper lines up and down. Generally in the mountains too so the paths followed are rockier and not very ‘groomed’.

Its like trail centre over hike-a-bike (maybe)

piemonster

In general my running involves 25-50% off path.

aracer
    Free Member

The original Mudclaws tore my heels to shreds, no matter what I tried

Actually I’m with you on that – I had similar problems. To be honest I tend to use ones which Inov-8 wouldn’t really class full on fell shoes, but they’re still lot better than most of the offerings from other companies.

I reckon the distinction is pretty clear – trail is sticking to marked paths, generally not very steep ones, just stuff which isn’t flat tarmac and might be a bit muddy. Nothing much in the way of cross camber putting strain on your ankles. Fell is going anywhere (I suppose that would include off-track through forests, but for that you want orienteering shoes with metal studs – a subset of fell shoes!)

nosemineb
    Free Member

pieface +1 that sums up what i was going to say.

Any one racing Buckden pike on sunday? 🙂

If salomon stuck a mudclaw/Talon sole on to their uppers we would have a clear winner.
    IMO Speedcross is too high off road. Tried it, didnt like it. Not tried the fellcross but would love to.

stever
    Free Member

You see a lot of Salomon out there but they terrify me – as someone with glass ankles and numerous sprains I like to be really close to the ground. Salomons felt like I was on stilts 🙂

Currently running in F-Lite 230, NB101 and XTalon in ascending order of gnarr. Trailrocs look a good if expensive crossover.

MrNutt
    Free Member

only fags wear plimsolls, run naked or stay at home and play with your dollys missis frillyknickers!

ahwiles
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

Out of interest, what’s the difference between fell running and trail running? Marketing? Fell is a subset of trail?

they’re sort of the same thing.

‘trail’ running is an American term, used by good looking people to describe this kind of thing:

‘fell’ running is a British term, used by gnarly old nutters to describe this kind of thing:

mogrim

they’re sort of the same thing.

‘trail’ running is an American term, used by good looking people to describe this kind of thing:
    ‘fell’ running is a British term, used by gnarly old nutters to describe this kind of thing:

So given a lot of “trail runs” are pretty grim/tough it’s basically a tomato/tomayto thing, with a dash of marketing thrown in.

piemonster

Neither of those pictures reflect what I think of as Fell Running.

Despite the second one being Edale Skyline race. That section is without a doubt trail.

Pieface

I’m running Buckden on saturday, but I’m sure it’ll be a nice quiet run on Sunday too.

Pieface

Fell running is middle aged men in tiny shorts and vest carrying a tatty bumbag out of regulatory need over rough ground.

Trail runners are generally pepsi max types wearing salomon / North face and with camelbak type things and crossover shoes (grippy road shoes). They spend a lot of money on compression wear, HRMs, personal trainers, magazine and are suckers for marketing. Tend to be all the gear, no idea.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Inov8 destroy my heels, I wear Salomon Speedcross for fell and MM’s, done 2 SLMM, 2 LAMM and 1 OMM, they are fine, its the only thing that fits my feet

MrNutt
    Free Member

Fell running is middle aged men in tiny shorts and vest carrying a tatty bumbag out of regulatory need over rough ground.

I had always wondered why those strange lean bearded wild eyed folks I see on the moor all had them, I’d assumed they were just lost & malnourished american tourists!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I recently picked up some of the new innov8 mud claws, baptised them at a horrifyingly muddy Stuc a’Chroin 5000 and they’re ace.

I guess it depends on terrain though. Probably wouldn’t be much use for the Lairig Ghru race or other path-based sort of stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Fell running shoes’ is closed to new replies.