Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fell off my motorbike today….
  • higthepig
    Free Member

Riding down a country lane through a village, damp road, cars parked on my side, car coming in opposite direction so I slow down. Start braking gently and front wheel goes followed by back, put foot down to try and balance, foot goes from underneath me, end up lying in road with bike on leg. Jump up and try to pick bike up and nearly fall over again, pick bike up and move to side of the road to lick my wounds. Car driver asks if I’m ok and was ready to help. My bike was a Honda CB100N (1983 and a future classic!) and I was only doing between 5-10 mph before I braked, my shoulder hurts more than when I have bailed off a MTB at 3 times the speed, why? To whoever spread grease/desiel/Vaseline/chip fat or whatever it was, you bastid, I was like Bambi on ice (or a scene from Frozen for the younger generation). I hate riding on lovely summer mornings……

rone

Very similar to my GS fall a few years back. Bit too much front brake over something slippy, slid down the road. Not too bad on the paint. Like you say lifting the bike is a bit stressful.

£500 Worth of damage.

Still it’s nice to walk away from a motorbike slide.

imp999
    Free Member

I rode past a lad lying very still in the road as two cops kept the traffic off him yesterday.
    Good luck to him.

You have to assume EVERYONE out there is a **** & ride accordingly.
    Dificult when the sun comes out though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craigxxl
    Free Member

A lad had come off his motorbike this morning at the large roundabout, down from Showcase cinema at Birstall. There was a diesel slick about a metre wide by 20 metres going round it left by probably a truck driver, biker would have been lucky to have missed it. Now he has the bill to fix his bike due to someone else’s inconsideration.

You can claim off the insurance ombudsman for diesel spills but with the spike in your insurance renewal probably not worth it unless your bike is a write off.

higthepig
    Free Member

Mine is scratched clutch lever, mirror indicator stalk, bruised shoulder and massively hurt pride! First fall off a motorbike in over 20 years riding, save all my falls for MTB normally!

allthegear
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your accident. I felt so stupid when I dropped my bikes. (Once off-road and once getting off at the garage without remembering the kickstand 😳 )

One thing I do that might have helped above is only rear-braking below about 20mph. So much easier to control the rear sliding than the front.

Rachel

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve come off on diesel myself,it’s part of the learning process.
    Predicting where the diesel slick will be becomes part of Your sub-conscience.It’s even more lethal after light rain or drizzle,glad you survived!

footflaps

There was a diesel slick about a metre wide by 20 metres

I pass two builder’s merchants on my commute to work each day, there is always diesel in the road as a result of numerous trade vans with no fuel caps….

higthepig
    Free Member

One thing I do that might have helped above is only rear-braking below about 20mph. So much easier to control the rear sliding than the front

I did a nice trail with the rear before the front which is a cable operated disc, seems it is off or on, no in-between, stupid design! Glad I wasn’t in the big bike, otherwise I’d still be there trapped underneath it!

allthegear
    Free Member

Heh – big bikes are stupidly heavy. Did you know it’s now legal to tip over a 240Kg BMW GS if it has a “Dakar” sticker on it?

murf
    Free Member

Wasn’t a white BMW that was involved, was it?
    An eerily similar thing happened in my village today!

rocketman
    Free Member

Years ago I was following a dawdling French-registered 2CV along some narrow roads in Scotland on my Honda CBX. Rather than nip past I waited until the road opened up so I could show the Frenchies how an Englishman overtakes.

Indicate right, 3rd gear, plenty of space, indicate left, pull in, no problem

I was going a bit too fast for the upcoming left-hander and at that precise moment I was distracted by a submarine surfacing in the adjacent loch. I braked while leaned over and of course the bike slid out and across the road in an expensive shower of alloy and plastic.

I sat up in the road and the 2CV came past still doing about 25 mph.

sobriety
    Free Member

It’s that horrible, road looks wet, road looks shiny, helmet full of diesel fumes, ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck… until you clear it.

I’ve ridden through a few, and have been lucky enough not to come off on one yet, which will be very upsetting if/when it happens as my bike is a 21 year old 125 two stroke that despite 19 idiots owning it before me is still on its original body work, which reminds me that I really must chase up the painter for the pattern set of panels…

globalti
    Free Member

Nearest I came to coming off my CX650 was when I opened the throttle accelerating away from a junction on a wet road and the bike threw a massive tank-slapper. I slacked off, stabilised and opened up again and it happened again. Then I realised that my rear tyre was spinning on a wet band of bitumen that had been used to seal a long repair.

Going over the Buttertubs northwards at speed there’s a left-hander that catches you unawares because you think it’s just the Armco going a little out of sight behind a crest…. until you realise there’s quite a big bend and you lock the rear wheel in panic, heading towards the barrier….

craigxxl
    Free Member

Spotting them is hard you don’t always get the rainbow on the road to indicate where there has been a spill. It’s more a case of knowing where they could be as Bustaspoke stated and making sure you’re not in that position.
    I’ve been caught out a few times by them but been lucky in only to have a dab a foot or kicked out of the seat as the bike slid and then gripped again. A Scottoiler produces a similar effect as it flings oil everywhere including the rear tyre with the slightest increase in temperature 🙂
    I have much more problems with slippery man hole covers that are located in the most dangerous of places. If they can’t be moved they should at least be covered with something that grips so you don’t have to correct a turn part way round a corner just to avoid one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fell off my motorbike today….’ is closed to new replies.