Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Feels like the weather is turning…
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Is anyone considering swapping tyres and fitting mud guards yet?

Vortexracing

yip

Trimix
    Free Member

Not yet, tomorrow is sunny, so Im looking forward to some slippery chalky singletrack in the Chilterns. When the leaves start to come down and add to the rain, then the mud will get cloggy. At the moment I reckon its fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So long as it’s not just me. Feel like it’s about the right time to do bearings, freehub, slidy bits service so thought tyres and fenders feels about right. Having said that, there’s maybe a bit of life left in the rear tyre, but not enough to justify keeping for spring if I do remove it.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Not only tyres! Switched bike from old and ratty FS to even older and rattier hard tail – Much cheaper bits and quicker to hose off!

bubs

Yep it still appears to be drying out between downpours but fast, dusty trails are definitely a thing of the past. Damp is the word on the North Downs.

daveylad
    Free Member

No but if that’s it for the year the bike gets packed away till April.
    I don’t enjoy slip sliding around getting cold, wet and ruining my bike.

RustySpanner

Not stopped raining here for a week.

Going for a walk rather than a ride later, can’t face getting the freshly cleaned and fettled MTB’s muddy just yet 🙂. Give it a week.

Even a road ride doesn’t appeal, it’s that grim.

ta11pau1

Looks like I got my Zwift set up done just in time.

scotroutes

Had a first wet ride of the season on Thursday night. Interesting discovering wet roots again after months of little or no rain.

Water temperature down to 12-13c in Loch Vaa today and likely a couple of degrees colder in Loch Morlich. Trees have only just started turning and shedding though.

Oh, and we’ve had a couple of overnight frost’s and a first snowfall on the tops.

All pretty much as normal.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Turning? Fully turned here in the FoD.

Pretty much rained for a week solid. April & September were the best months of the year for weather (and general riding). The bit in between has been a mix of warm, wet and really wet.

Front mudguard stays on year round, don’t have a rear guard as I’m not one of ‘those’ riders 😐

Literally swapped out the front tyre yesterday, the Shorty MaxxGrip is now on, and probably there for the next 6 months. Racing next weekend for the last time this year (and only the second time in 2 years!), then I’m spending the winter on the Eeb.

Klunk
    Free Member

twas a tad chilly this morning but otherwise mostly dry even after a few days of rain.

reluctantjumper

It’s definitely feels like it skipped my favourite time of year this time, when you get dry days but with a chill in the air before it warms up and all the leaves are turning brown. It’s just gone straight to wet, muddy and miserable. Be really nice have a few weeks of umming and ahhhing about whether it’s time for fitting the mudhuggers and the einter tyres, no indecision this year!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s been a week and more of shit weather in South Wales including several days of wall-to-wall rain like today. So I’d say it has definitely completely turned.

ta11pau1

SE has had horizontal rain the last few days, it’s raining sideways as we speak.

BigJohn

2 weeks ago: 1mm shorty wetsuit
    Last Sunday: 3/2mm summer wetsuit
    Wednesday and Yesterday: 5/4mm winter wetsuit
    Today: Sod that for a lark! Central heating on and 6 Music.

Alex

Project Autumn was completed this morning

Project Autumn

Box fresh Mary on the front

Mudhugger F&R. Not yet fitting the Crudcatcher XL at the front.

First year with full length riding troons

Sealskinz

Gortex FiveTens.

Just need to find my motivation for a slip and slide in the FoD tomorrow.

StuE
    Free Member

If the weather forecast is to be believed it’s all change next week and back to dry and mild conditions

el_boufador

Yeah as stu,
    Around Leeds we’ve had some rain, but until today not for extended periods, so trails damper than they were but not terrible just yet. Hoping a few sunny windy days will put them back in good condition, though also a bit of rain in the forecast next week.

bikesandboots

Short rides are off as the riding:cleaning/washing ratio has become too poor. Plus the dark evenings for weekday rides.

I run front and rear mudguards all year (yes I’m one of “those”) so no change there. Tyres are staying put for now, until it gets to the point when I’ll appreciate the winter ones after the swap. DHR2 will be swapped to the back, new Conti Der Baron Projekt is ready to go on the front.

I lost much of the summer due to an injury, so I had an excuse to spend money on new kit resolved to make it a good winter – new (first time) waterproof trousers, Gore-Tex Five Tens, and a Worx Hydroshot.

martinhutch

I have to say I’m getting sick of the bloody wind already! I don’t think I’m mentally prepared for autumn yet.

reeksy

Spring is here in Queensland. 37 yesterday. High fire risk and no sign of rain until the weekend 🙁

dyna-ti

Clearly, the winter glove threads and ‘which lights’ threads are already in full swing.

doomanic

Front mudguard almost never comes off and I run a Magic Mary front all year round, just hope I can find one for a reasonable price as the current one is looking a little tyred… ho ho.
    Whaletail will be going back on soon; I really hate getting a wet back so it’s worth the ugly to me.

muggomagic

After listening to the rain batter the house this morning I’ve bitten the bullet on some of those Five Ten goretex trailcross shoes. Found a 30% discount code for the Adidas store which worked and made the price a little easier to swallow.
    Going to fit the front mudhugger today and might even putoline the shiny chain….

escrs
    Free Member

Chucked the Mudhugger on the Hardtail last weekend, will do the same to the E-MTB this week

That’s it for winterising my bikes, cant be arsed with changing tyres, dealing with scooping sealant out, refilling new tyres, getting them sealed again etc… to suit the conditions, i just run the same tyres all year round, Assegai’s on the E-MTB, DHF & DHR on the Hardtail

If it gets too muddy for those tyres to cope i bin off the MTB’s and just go out on the winter road bike or the BMX at indoor skateparks

mahalo

Magic Mary or Shorty all year for me, and a front mudhugger! have a spare wheel with a wet scream fitted for ‘special’ occasions but not rolled that out yet. took the plunge on a new gravel bike for winter miles and slop avoidance recently. i ride most days in the evenings and couldnt be arsed with the cleaning routine cold and dark when i get home. I’ve been out on that a few times, enjoying it. Its a lot more fun than i thought it would be – but i took the mtb back out last night for some good old steep n tech! this is definitely where its at!! i will not resort to tarmac or static bikes no matter what the weather throws at me! but id have probably included gravel in that list a few years ago…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, the lights have come out of hibernation, I just need to find my base layers and get a new jacket.

IHN

Looks like I got my Zwift set up done just in time.

This. See you in spring*

*unless it’s a nice dry day.

jam-bo

shorty on the front and minion DHF on the rear going on when my cushcore XC set turns up later.

joebristol

I think it’s time for a tyre change – the hardtail wears a Forekaster on the rear all year round but the dhf on the front is he tying swapped out for the 2.6” Magic Mary.

The DHF on the front of the full suss already got changed for a Wild Enduro and the rear dissector is getting swapped for a Dhr2 this week.

Not yet time for mahoosive front mudguards – sticking with the enduro guards for now.

mahalo

trails are great at the moment, they have gone past the initial wet dust turbo grease stage but not entered into full axle deep slop mode yet!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s definitely feels like it skipped my favourite time of year this time, when you get dry days but with a chill in the air before it warms up and all the leaves are turning brown. It’s just gone straight to wet, muddy and miserable

We’re only just into October ffs! Plenty time for nice crispy autumn days yet.

vmgscot

Local trails have definitely gone to the slippy roots and leaf litter stage at the weekend.
    Upside is you can pick up dinner while biking…

stumpy01

^^^^ I didn’t know you could get brioche onna stick!

IdleJon

2 weeks ago: 1mm shorty wetsuit
    Last Sunday: 3/2mm summer wetsuit
    Wednesday and Yesterday: 5/4mm winter wetsuit

The thing about fatbikes is that you need to make sure that the tide is out….

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Those brioche mushrooms just need a half pound burger between them.

Trimix
    Free Member

One of the reasons I’ve not gone Tubeless is so I can easily / quickly change tyres when I arrive at the carpark.

I keep my tyre collection in the van anyway, so swopping is probably a 10 min job while everyone else is still faffing about looking for gloves, gamins etc. I can have a look and do some faffing myself before they finish. I’m also one of those that turns up a bit early anyway, so I have time for faffing but can claim its not faffing as its within the deadline 🙂

However, last Sunday in the Chilterns I kept with my summer tyres – just to see. They actually made it more exciting. Just enough slip to liven the ride up, but not to the point you couldn’t ride up hill.

I think they will stay on for a bit longer.

IdleJon

I keep my tyre collection in the van anyway, so swopping is probably a 10 min job while everyone else is still faffing about looking for gloves, gamins etc

Yeah, I’ve ridden with people like you. The others aren’t faffing about looking for gloves, Garmins, etc, they are just filling the time it takes for you to sort your bike out. Its never 10 minutes, its closer to 45 and takes two other people to help, provide tools, etc. In the meantime, someone will have arrived who was so late leaving their house that they thought they were going to miss the ride, but on the way they realised that you were there and so the group would still be in the car park dicking about about with your tyres. They are now faffing about looking for gloves, Garmins etc 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol, spot on! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Feels like the weather is turning…’ is closed to new replies.