Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Feeling stretched when saddle up… Halp!
  • tomcanbefound
    Free Member

So ive got a medium soul @ 120mm with a 70mm haven stem and bars.

Love the handling and very comfortable with the ride position with the saddle in either low or medium position but when i raise it for climbs or more XC stuff i feel a bit stretched on the bike like my weight is to far forwards making my arms and palms ache…

Already have 15mm of spacers under the stem and dont have any steerer left to add more.

I guess putting a shorter stem will affect the handling somewhat. Would putting a stem with a rise have any effect on the handling or should i be looking for some riser bars or maybe shorten the bars slightly to bring my arms in?

Thanks!

Edric64
    Free Member

Isnt your weight further back as you raise the saddle it moves further behind the bottom bracket the higher it goes? This would leave you stretching to the bars .You could move the saddle forward to try and compensate.

kayak23

I would stick a shorter stem on there straight away.
    The handling will only improve imho, with a tiny bit of compromise on climbing. But if it’s too long, get a shorter stem innit.

Or try sliding the seat forward a little..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

How tall are you and how much of that is leg? What’s the drop from saddle to bars when the saddle is at full height? How far forward or back is the saddle on the post?

My Soda is set up very similarly to yours, but with only 5mm of spacers and it’s spot on for me at 5’10″/32″ inseam. Don’t have the bike handy, but I’d guess somewhere between 1″ and 2″ vertical drop, saddle->bars.

Unless you’re of significantly proportions, then unfortunately, a lot of it may be to do with core strength/flexibility….?

chiefgrooveguru

Also, if you have a layback post change it for a straight one. I’m running that with a 50mm stem and Haven bars on my Soul – perfect at 5’10.5″ with long arms!

chiefgrooveguru

Unless you’re of significantly proportions, then unfortunately, a lot of it may be to do with core strength/flexibility….?

This too!

joeegg
    Free Member

First of all you should go back and set your saddle in the right position for pedalling.Slight bend in leg when pedal in lowest position etc………saddle set forward to back so that when cranks are horizontal soft part below kneecap is vertically above pedal spindle ( use a plumb line).Theres plenty of basic bike fit videos on youtube.
    Once you’ve got the saddle in the correct position then you can start on the bars and stem.

TooTall
    Free Member

First of all you should go back and set your saddle in the right position for pedalling

Start with that. That is your pedalling position which by default is the one you are having trouble with. When you drop the seat, you accept a reduced efficiency anyway, so start with the one you need to pedal in.

shortcut

A pic of the bike might help. With the saddle at full height.
    A pic with you on the bike might also help.

If you are too stretched out you can – bring the bars to you by cutting them down, shortening the stem or raising the bars. Or move the seat forward – which may be appropriate if you have short thighs.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

saddle set forward to back so that when cranks are horizontal soft part below kneecap is vertically above pedal spindle ( use a plumb line).

KOPS is slightly old hat on modern trail bikes with big(ish) forks. To get enough weight over the front you need the saddle a bit further forward than KOPS would suggest.

(I think there was a Keith Bontrager article on this subject somewhere)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Feeling stretched when saddle up… Halp!’ is closed to new replies.