Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Feeling rough after post ride pint
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

Weekly night ride is usually around 30k and 750m+ of climbing then back to the pub for a pint and bag of crisps.

I’ve started to feel rough if I have anything more than a pint and even after just 1 I can feel it the next day.

Don’t have the same problem if I’ve not ridden so is it dehydration? I’ve tried drinking a pint of water at the pub then more before bed – makes no difference…

Or am I just getting old and its a case of mtfu?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Eaten enough and hydrated enough? Best excuse to have 2 pints though if one make you rough no reason not to have the second 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

We have this discussion from time-to-time. It’s your cortisol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol. A couple of years ago it was ruining me. Basically your body is all stressed up from the biking and a pint of poison and a bag of salt just makes it worse.

am I just getting old

Yes like all of us.

SIS Rego works for me. Taken as directed and then make a big effort to unwind and generally relax

turneround

i did my first 24hr solo last year and completed it, was over the moon but totally f*ked.  Had a celebratory bottle of my fav warsteiner larger (only managed 1/2 the bottle) and proceeded to feel absolutely crap for the 4hr drive (as a passenger) home.  Basically my body was so stressed even a slight dose of booze knocked it for 6. i never drink after a ride / event now.  Im 47 so that’s  part of the reason, in my 20’s id stop mid ride for a pint….

Bez

Don’t have the same problem if I’ve not ridden

Have the pint first, then go for the ride, problem solved 😉

sanername

Have a couple of non-alcoholic beers first and then a shot of vodka?

andybrad

interesting ive had the same.

4 pints cured it and i ended up in a garden on my way home.

but in all seriousness i cant sleep at all after either?! any way to actually get some kip?

mattkkitch

If you’re getting a headache it could be a neck strain. I had a similar thing a few years ago and one back massage to release tension in my neck stopped it instantly.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me!

Basically your body is all stressed up from the biking and a pint of poison and a bag of salt just makes it worse.

So you’re saying ride slower and ditch the crisps then? Will give that a go!

Best excuse to have 2 pints though if one make you rough no reason not to have the second

This has been my exact strategy, 3 seems to have fairly similar results.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mixture of old, mtfu and drink more alcohol.

Post running club on a Thursday a few of us go to the pub.  We figure you may as well drink 4/5 pints rather than just have 1.

taxi25
    Free Member

We figure you may as well drink 4/5 pints rather than just have 1.

Exactly my coping strategy after a hot ride. Can’t imagine feeling I’ll after a nice cooling pint. It must be horrible !!@

Keva
    Free Member

you need to stop riding your bike if it’s doing that to you!?!? I always have a couple of pints post ride, makes me feel great 🙂

what sort of feeling rough though, as in sickly in the stomach or is it like your head is spinning out?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have 8 pints, then the first one won’t be the problem…

damascus
    Free Member

I had this problem but unfortunately it now happens without riding. I’ve come to the conclusion beer doesn’t agree with me. I can get away with shandy etc. Now I just drink red wine or whisky but never together.

Try changing your beverage and experiment

scaredypants

Basically your body is all stressed up from the biking and a pint of poison and a bag of salt just makes it worse

I don’t see that the stress response is a bad thing, really, nor why it would make the effects of alcohol worse.  As for salt, OP’s likely depleted anyway if the ride’s been a hard one.

My money’s on the blood supply to your gut still being impaired by diversion to muscle and so all that beer’n’chips is just sitting there in yr stomach & small bowel rather than being usefully processed – bit like a mild dumping syndrome, maybe

sirromj

I don’t handle alcohol well even without being knackered from a ride. If I am knackered from a ride it’s usually the last thing I want. MTFU? Nah you’re alright.

StirlingCrispin

Add in a tin of full-fat lemonade for the win.

If you do feel rough in the morning, a BLT in the local cafe will perk you up.

🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends what beer you were drinking maybe. I’d much rather have a decent pint after a big ride than some sickly sweet energy drink or minging power from a tub recovery drink. But not crap beer like any of the mass produced premium lagers that are full of a cocktail of chemicals which is what actually makes you feel crap and gives you a hangover.

senorj

Lightweight!

Just joking ,normally I’m a two pint wonder!

I had a pint during a ride once . Ride over.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

mass produced premium lagers that are full of a cocktail of chemicals which is what actually makes you feel crap and gives you a hangover.

I’m pretty sure as a non lager drinker my history of hangovers proves this is nonsense. Admittedly anecdotes do not statistics make but i doubt you’d find it hard to get significant statistical proof that spirits, real ale, wine, mead and any of a number of other things make you feel rubbish and give you a hangover when consumed in requisite quantity.

As to the OP, i have this occasionally, i usually find it’s more to do with volume of liquid than anything else as drinking water, milk etc (at the same rate as i tend to drink lovely tasty beer) gives me the same nauseous feeling. Night rides are particularly bad for this for me as it tends to mean I’ve drunk loads of water in the afternoon, not had dinner, probably drunk more water before i go out (esp. if I’m not carrying water) then more liquid with little food when I’m done. Gives me what i refer to as washing machine stomach, and it tends to be worse when I’m sweating lots. YMMV of course.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Nah it’s just dehydration and any diuretic will make it worse! Ideally don’t go there in the first place. If not cram as much water/non-alcoholic down your throat, as soon as you stop riding, not hours later and you will be fine.

I used to get headaches not any more!

anagallis_arvensis

mass produced premium lagers that are full of a cocktail of chemicals

What are these artesan beers made if then, fairy tears? Unicorn wee?

slowoldman

Must be a dodgy pint.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Beer isn’t a great thing to have after a ride anyway – you’re dehydrated, blood’s in your muscles not your guts and you’re just not in peak condition. Then you’re having a diuretic that’ll dehydrate you more, of course you feel rough!

Maybe have a few pints of water as well as a beer, if you really have to have a beer?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

munrobiker Member
    Beer isn’t a great thing to have after a ride anyway

Burn the heretic! Beer is always a great thing to have.

taxi25
    Free Member

Then you’re having a diuretic that’ll dehydrate you more, of course you feel rough!

Not strictly true. Unless your drinking an extremely strong beer, there’s enough water in your pint to counteract the diuretic effects of the alchol. Normal beers will rehydrate you just a bit slower. Hence the need for more than just the one LOL.

slowoldman

Fell runners seem to re-hydrate on beer.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

750m+ climbs on a 30km ride, you are certainly not a southern fairy, are you from yorkshire …

i felt rather shoddy on sunday after 10 beers at the boltby bash saturday night,

although i think it was the butterflies and nerves of race day..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Fell runners seem to re-hydrate on beer

Maybe they’d have fell less if they didn’t?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

“What are these artesan beers made if then, fairy tears? Unicorn wee?”

no Unicorn wee included. Just mostly water, hops barley and a bit of sugar. Mass produced beers include a cocktail of chemicals as preservatives, chemicals that suppress the formation of the head so more pints per hour can be pulled, chemicals to aid the brewing process because lager is an aged ale, but actually takes less time for the mass producers to brew than a real ale, so  need a bit of help along the way. I don’t know what an artisan beer is – in my mind artisan is all the crap like Peroni – i.e. cheap mass produced been that has been subjected to clever marketing so huge premiums can be charged. But a real ale, i.e. one brewed with traditional methods and ingredients, doesn’t include any of these chemicals (I know as I know enough micro brewers), so you don’t suffer hangovers like you do with the chemical cocktails that some pubs pass off as beer.

“Beer isn’t a great thing to have after a ride anyway – you’re dehydrated, ”

And beer is about 95% – 97% water…..so perfectly appropriate to drink when dehydrated. Getting sloshed post ride is not necessarily a sensible plan obviously (feel a bit patronising having to point that out really, but some of the comments don’t seem  to be distinguishing between having a cheeky post ride pint or two and going out on a massive all night bender), but a pint or two is perfectly fine and extremely effective at re-hydrating the body.

Clearly if you’re a proper athlete (unlike almost all  of us on here) then beer will never do and you need to be a bit more scientific about it to aid recovery in preparation for your ongoing training or the next competitive event. But that is a different matter.

chevychase

+1 to the above.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Finally caught up on this one, glad its not just me that suffers and some interesting reading on subject.

Scientific approach this week… ditched the crisps, may be a coincidence but certainly felt a bit fresher the following day.

750m+ climbs on a 30km ride, you are certainly not a southern fairy, are you from yorkshire

Yup, well spotted – however I’ve been living the southern fairy lifestyle for the past 10+ years – admittedly near some hills. We try to crack 1000m but depends who turns up and how loud the pub is calling!

philjunior
    Free Member

Mass produced beers include a cocktail of chemicals as preservatives, chemicals that suppress the formation of the head so more pints per hour can be pulled, chemicals to aid the brewing process because lager is an aged ale, but actually takes less time for the mass producers to brew than a real ale, so  need a bit of help along the way

Source?

Mass produced beers still have a relatively short shelf life, I’d have thought adding preservatives etc. would massively increase this over real ales.

There is a bit of a labelling problem for booze, in that you don’t have to state all the actual stuff in it (although wines often do state when they have sulphites in – but these are allowed in limited quantities even in organic products).

Personally I always have a pint of something non alcoholic as soon as I get in, then might have a beer to unwind after. Otherwise you’ll be dehydrated. Don’t bother with the sports nutrition bollocks, just have something to eat and drink as well as the beer.

If you still feel unwell, don’t drink beer, it’s making you feel unwell (but that’s kind of obvious)

Edit- after a big ride it can be hard to get settled. This might be the entire problem, but if it seems to be the beer, see about cutting out the beer/altering what else you do.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Well, was going to experiment with a couple of pints of local cider last night however there was a bit of minor incident resulting in a compound fracture that ripped a 10cm gash in a guys ankle, straight through the tendons.

Ended up missing last orders waiting around getting him into an ambulance. Inconsiderate sod.

globalti
    Free Member

The only side-effects I get from beer are indigestion from the liquid sloshing around and going up my aesophagus (confirmed by my cycling buddy, a gastroenterologist) which is made bearable by taking an antacid. Also bloating and wind a couple of hours later thanks to the carbs in beer.

Anyway what’s this about drinking at the end of the ride? Our Wednesday evening hooligan rides end up at one of two favourite pubs both two miles from the end. We drink a pint, have some manly banter then race our nuts off for the last two miles home. No wonder the beer slops around…..

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Don’t eat crisps, try pork scratchings or a packet of nuts instead.

philjunior
    Free Member

Well, do you feel better after that than after a pint?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Anyway what’s this about drinking at the end of the ride?

I do have a 5k ride home from the, no one to race though!

I feel good, but I bet my mate feels like he’s got a belting hangover – mostly concentrated in his left ankle 😆

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Feeling rough after post ride pint’ is closed to new replies.