Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Feeling P'd off. Inspire me with your Steel 29er Pics
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t help with pics but I’m intrigued to know what was up with it and why you’ve lost faith in the brand.

NormalMan

My Solaris looks vaguely like RP’s so I won’t bore you with a similar pic but I will say it’s a great bike.

I’m also intrigued by the Stanton story too.

takisawa2

Needs more green does this thread.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DnqCvD]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

breadcrumb

Thanks mick. I’m a fabricator, so plenty of of experience just move in building a frame.

Did you use a jig?

How much do ceeway charge for a typical tube set? What wall thickness did you go for?

Unfortunately I don’t have access to any mandrels for bending tube at work, but I do like your curved seat tube.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Duffer
    Free Member

[Quote]Some plumbing tubes just bring the tone down a bit.[/quote]

Same frame, different build:

Nothing wrong with an Inbred! That said, Singlespeedstu’s green Jones is my favourite bike on STW…

benp1

mick_r

Hi Breadcrumb. Sounds like you are sorted with the skills so just get stuck in. I only do a bit as a hobby but drop me an email and I’ll give as much info as possible.

Apologies for going a bit OT, but quick answers to the questions for those interested – and probably convincing everyone just how little hassle and good value a far east frame (or a Shand!) is:-

I made a jig – but can be done with just a flat surface and V blocks.

Generally mix and match tubes. For the more basic tubes there is more choice in diameters than wall thickness.
    Plain 1.5m lengths of cro-mo in 0.8 – 0.9mm wall are around £10-£15 +VAT (various sizes from 8mm to 44.5mm). Much cheaper than aero spec 4130 / T45. Great for practice and I often use for seat tube and rear stays. http://www.framebuilding.com/Spare%20Tubes.htm

A mid range butted top or down tube like Zona is around £20-£25. Columbus do longer 750mm Zona down tubes for 29ers in 35 or 38mm. I’ve not built for anyone heavy so generally use 32mm tt and 35mm dt. For reference an Inbred that passes the fatigue tests for a heavy rider uses 35mm tt and dt (dunno what wall / butting but fairly chunky). http://www.framebuilding.com/ZONA.htm

Tube bending is done cold and can be tricky – no real substitute for tooling. Bending the ST is very difficult – tube rollers are the correct way to do it. I pack with sand and use this plywood contraption – leaves a few ripples and sometimes kinks / scraps the tube so far from ideal. Just about manages 24 deg bend. 38 deg bend in the 2nd photo shows a kink.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Krampus in Rotorua, steel 29 at its finest.

breadcrumb

Thanks for the info mick, I might drop you a mail at some point. I like the tube former, nice bit of problem solving.
    When working with tube it’s usually T45 but with a wall thickness between 1.0 and 2.0.

Although a recent project had me TIG welding 25*0.7 T45.

Shackleton

Would like to know what the Staunton issue is also. I’ve been hovering over the buy button and am suddenly wary after the Internet blew cold…..

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Envious …. now I’m sad 😥

ssboggy

@ mick_r yes that is a Blackbuck I posted on the previous page

retrobri
    Free Member

adsh
    Free Member

How do people find the Inbred. Spent a long time cleaning yesterday and would like a single speed to play with.

Rik
    Free Member

@Shand – new model? Very Fargo’esk presume it has a shorter top tube to run drops

shandcycles
    Free Member

@Shand
    – new model? Very Fargo’esk presume it has a shorter top tube to run drops

Aye, new model. The ‘Drove’. Shorter reach and taller stack for drop-bar specific geo.

Duffer
    Free Member

How do people find the Inbred.

Cheap, versatile, robust and brilliant.

Mine is a singlespeed specific frame (this one), so it’s got track ends and no cable guides. Rear tyre clearance isn’t great between the chainstays though; i run 35mm rims, and a 2.25 is really tight.

There certainly are better frames available, but not much better. And for 99 quid, an Inbred really can’t be beaten (it was on sale when i got mine).

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Love the OS Blackbuck! Rare bike 🙂

ssboggy

Love the OS Blackbuck! Rare bike

It’s definitely a keeper, quite a steep head angle by modern standards but it’s fantastic on singletrack.

Here’s another picture with Swift fork’s and a Knard on the front.

[/url]DSC_0099 by Chris Salt, on Flickr[/img]

neilwheel
    Free Member

No photos to add, sorry.

Salsa EM, rigid and SS right now, orange frame, everything else is black, insert backdrop of your own choosing.

adsh
    Free Member

Rear tyre clearance isn’t great between the chainstays though; i run 35mm rims, and a 2.25 is really tight.

Thanks – as it’s a dedicated foul mud frame I’m after I think that rules it out. It seems to me the limitations of bending steel plus the desire for short chainstays means steel frames are often a bit cramped for clearance

Clink

Double post. 😳

Clink

My Stooge.

dazh

tommid
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zhmeuj]Untitled[/url] by Tom Middleton, on Flickr

Classic Singular Swift. Love it, had lots of Steel hardballs over the past 25 years, but it is by far the best. Only thing I would contemplate swapping it with, would be a Jones.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

This thread needs answers what was/is the issue with Stanton!?

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t ignoring the questions about Stanton but missed the first few tbh as I swiped through the photo’s, but anyway it’s between me and Stanton/the retailer and I’m not naming and shaming so don’t ask. I’m sure it’s a great bike and seems to get some v good reviews which I’m sure are well deserved, it’s just not for me, that’s all.

Main thing is some absolutely brilliant photo’s which as well as giving me a few ideas motivated me to go riding for a couple of hours this morning, even though it was on a road bike and peeing down. Happy days 😀

roverpig

Since NormalMan won’t post his, here is another one just like it from today 🙂 One of those rides that look better in the pictures than it was in reality if I’m honest, but I was just checking out some new route ideas and anyway all rides beat no ride.

singlespeedstu

It seems to me the limitations of bending steel plus the desire for short chainstays means steel frames are often a bit cramped for clearance

Have a look at the Canfield N9 or if you’re feeling flush the 2Souls QH.
    Shit loads of room in the back for 2.4’s on wide rims and propper short chainstays.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Niner ROS9 at a less than useful angle…

Sorry for the picture of last summer’s dry and dusty trails!

mick_r

^Mmmm dry trails. Location looks familiar – not in the Lakes is it? Looks a bit like dropping into Troutbeck from Garburn / Dubbs – but could equally be hundreds of other places….

I’ll say one thing for this thread – steel 29er owners all seem to ride them in proper off road places in all conditions (very few back yard photos).

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Bang on that – it is indeed the track off Garburn if you take the right fork where the track spilts above Limefit Caravan Park instead of sticking on the left fork towards Dubbs.

mick_r

Wow! Don’t know why but it just looked really familiar. A bit damper when we came down it last Sunday being chased off Garburn by a snow / hail flurry 🙂 Still a great ride and really impressed at my 13yr old lad – under 3 hours to ride Grayrigg, Longsleddale, over Sadgill to Kentmere, over Garburn and then Jenkin Crag to Ambleside. If he grows any more I’ll have to make him a 29er frame…..(steel of course)

oxym0r0n

Rigid/SS El Mariachi:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/z3Zve9]DSC_0561[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Old but my favourite one of my Solaris (brakes, saddle, drivetrain and bars all changed now):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ebE4ZJ]IMG_0452[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

DanW
    Free Member

I can’t believe no-one has ignored the thread title yet 🙂 Anyway, in fine tradition here’s not what you asked for but another utilitarian, adaptable 29er to consider anyway 🙂

Clink

Oh well, if we are ignoring the steel bit, here’s another (its as comfy as any steel bike I’ve ridden). 😀

singlespeedstu

While we’re at it lets ignore the fact this 29er isn’t steel and doesn’t have 29er wheels fitted. 🙄 😛
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BJUYPK]IMG_20151218_104558040_HDR[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

DanW
    Free Member

I am very sorry for what may have started OP 😳 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t ignoring the questions about Stanton but missed the first few tbh as I swiped through the photo’s, but anyway it’s between me and Stanton/the retailer and I’m not naming and shaming so don’t ask. I’m sure it’s a great bike and seems to get some v good reviews which I’m sure are well deserved, it’s just not for me, that’s all.

Was there an issue with the frame itself? Only ask because you said initially that you lost faith in the brand which makes it so do like there was an issue that didn’t get sorted out. Then you finish up saying that you didn’t like it which is a bit different.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Feeling P'd off. Inspire me with your Steel 29er Pics’ is closed to new replies.