• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ton.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • feel free to fall about chuckling. SPD sandals?
  • ton

keen and shimano both do a spd sandal.

anyone tried any?

I need a spd shoe for a very wide foot, and have tried all the HV shoes to no avail.
    I remember a thread possibly on here or somewhere else, saying that the spd sandals were mega wide.

and if you have owned a pair and are too embarrassed to own up, don’t be…….. ;o)

scotroutes

The only thing you need to know is that Epicyclo rides in them.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used the KEEN ones. I found them psychologically unsettling and also very heavy. My feet felt vulnerable in a way I didn’t like. KEEN stuff generally is high volume and wide in the forefoot, so they probably would work in that respect, but it’s a while since I’ve used them, so I can’t remember specifically.

one_bad_mofo

I had a pair of the first generation Shimano ones many years ago. I never used them in anger offroad, but I’d frequently use them on local rides around town. Surprisingly comfy and unless you knew otherwise you’d never guess they were cycling specific.

zippykona

I shall rescue your feet from heat.

Take a normal pair of bike shoes and cut the tongue out. You can also melt some air holes in the shoe with a soldering iron.

Come the cooler weather I attached the tongue back to the velcro straps .

I always have really hot feet but last summer I was laughing.

trailwagger
    Free Member

awaiting the “What socks for spd sandals?” thread

benp1

Sandals are like crocs

Very practical but anyone with self respect avoids them

epicyclo

scotroutes

The only thing you need to know is that Epicyclo rides in them.

Not SPD though, just ordinary Keens.

Just the job for wandering across Highland bogs with a bike on your shoulder (drain quickly), but if you’re sticking to the tracks no real advantage except they’re light.

But one could go upmarket…

https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/men/mens-shoes/mens-sandals-slides/sandals/mens-leather-and-mesh-sandal-p-56348498D108461?position=2&listName=VariationOverlay

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Ton have a post over on bearbones ,big dummy Steve had a pair of the keen ones on at last year’s rtts ,think he was the only one with fresh feet with the summer we had

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

I’ve been using Shimano SPD’s for years. Ideal for riding down in Southern Spain March to October. Very comfortable and perfect apart from the odd thorn getting under the toenail.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I tried them years ago – you feel get stung by nettles and ragged by brambles

No good

ton

these are more for touring and pottering.

montgomery
    Free Member

Used them for years, and wore them almost exclusively May to August last year, road and MTB. First gen Shimano straps pulled out, but the second gen ones I now have seem indestructible. Very comfortable, enough give that walking isn’t a chore. Done long tours on them, comfortable in chilly conditions with Sealskinz on. Maybe not enough support if you over-pronate (I suspect wearing them for long trips at least contributed to a flare-up of plantar fasciitis). Size 13, Time pedals.

montgomery
    Free Member

Old photo, taken 15 years ago tomorrow…

Buffalo, sandals AND Ron Hills. Pretty much what I still wear, in fact.

Garry_Lager

I had a shimano pair years ago – worked perfectly, physically comfy, but like badlywireddog says above just didn’t feel right, esp on the road (I did manage to back this up with a freak accident where I rode over a metal wire of some sort that jammed over my toes, hurt like hell but no serious damage).
    Worth a go I would say to see if you get on with them – they’re not like a novelty item, they do the job.

scruff9252

After the last European tour with super hot & uncomfortable feet in standard shoes, I will definitely be buying a pair for use in the continent.

zippykona

Honestly , this is all you need to do.

scaredypants

zippy – I think ton’s after width, not airflow

montgomery
    Free Member

Plus, you don’t get the cool tan-lines.

crazybaboon

Ton, I’ve got a pair of the Shimano sandals size 47/48, I got them after a foot op but now the swelling has gone they’re too big, worn only a hand full of times

PM me your address if they’re your size and I’ll stick them in the post for you.

ton

crazybaboon, messaged you mate

cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘feel free to fall about chuckling. SPD sandals?’ is closed to new replies.