Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Fed up with 6 music?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Are any of these ‘stations’ that people are recommending actual analogue/DAB? Ie, not internet?

I only really listen to 6M as I have a DAB/Analogue radio at work. Its the best I’ve found so far. Sure, if I had an interpipe I could listen to my own preferred micro-niche genre of dance music with no talking/adverts for 24 hours a day. But until then…

Non-internet recommendations? NO ADS, and waffle to the bare minimum.

alpin
    Free Member

Ego fm… Sun Station. Or Soul, but Sun is pretty good. No news. No talking.

doris5000

I like Gemma cairney too. I didn’t really like her one off shows, somehow I thought she came across as a bit try-hard. But in the breakfast slot she seems like a genuine cheery soul and that’s what I need as I struggle towards consciousness at 8am. I’m a fan now.

I wasn’t sure about Jamz Supernova at first either, as some of the current generation of soulful RnB gets a bit dull. But now I find my Saturdays grind to a halt around 2pm as I find various excuses to sit in the living room and listen to the rest of her show. The other week she played about 40 straight minutes of Baltimore Club music. On national radio in the middle of the day. That’s the kind of nonsense I am very much here for 😀

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Who is this ‘Jez Longe’? Is he Keavenys replacement?

Anyway, 6music just sounds waaay too nice at the moment. Not always a bad thing, but on most dab radios, it can sound like elevator muzak. Very polite. And the sunday vibe on 6msic feels like ‘Bagpuss’.
    Now and again, they play some rowdy tunes. But it mostly sounds like a tick-box of punk cliches: mockney; poorly played instruments; hysterical, over-zealous and out of tune vocals.

When the punks got to grips with their instruments, they channelled that aggression, and heavy metal (and goth) came into being.

We’re missing a big chunk of music history by denying airplay to the likes of napalm death, carcass, and amebix.
    Not only that, but the royalties accrued by a band are in part calculated by the amount of airtime they receive.
    So, by feathering the nest for the (cartel?) of artists who’ve had already received a fair slice of the pie (Bowie, Bowie, Bowie, the Rolling Stones, and Nick Lowe), 6music are crowding-out other, more deserving artists from their hard-earned investment.

The bbc used to run tv adverts about how they were bringing in lots of fresh talent, but it’s still the same bunch of presenters on 6music.
    I’d rather 6music played more up-and-coming artists and got their weekday daytime presenters to hone their recommendations.

As for bbc radio services, they used to run tv adverts about how great the switch to DAB transmissions would be (more stations to choose from).

But, like the mobile phone companies, they are only transmitting on their own masts.
    So, the signal on your radio is fine until you start listening to a dab station on a mobile device (whether a portable dab player, or in your car), as he radio signal can vary according to your proximity to the dab mast.

If all the dab stations got together (a cartel?), and agree to transmit each others stations, the benefits for the listener would be tremendous. There’s more than enough bandwidth for this to become feasible.
    I was going to email this suggestion to OFCOM, but they only correspond by telephone, and the ‘cap’ where my tooth used to be has fallen out, so…

Speaking of bandwidth, if theres enough of it, why is bbc ‘radio1dance’ not yet available on dab?

As someone who tries to play a musical instrument, I think that the bbc needs another dab station that plays an DJ-free selection of music that encourages people to pick up their guitar, use, synth, clarinet and play along. Kind of like the ‘rag-time’ of yore, but minus the actual printed copy.
    Just like the trades unions were the conveyor belt to global communism, the bbc owes it to the music industry by sowing the seeds of the next generation of artists by encouraging us all to articulate our skills on our musical instruments. And these artists make a tonne of money for UK PLC.

So, music like the cures ‘killing an Arab’, ‘seedy films’ by soft cell, and loads of heavy metal (for the guitar solos).
    Jazz too, and the classical music without the pomp. Keep it lean and keep it moving.

They could even call the station ‘7music. For players’.

Pretentious, Moi?

llama

You are over thinking it

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@llama

You’re not a player?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Correction: ‘tin-pan alley’ instead of ‘ragtime’🤪

sadexpunk

And the sunday vibe on 6msic feels like ‘Bagpuss’.

listen to radmac on a weekend and you would probably hear that actually 😁

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

@zippykona thank you for this!! I’m getting too old for daytime 6 Music..

Try this https://radio.nme.com/
    Listening to nme 1 and apart from the lottery advert and the occasional hippity hop pity song it’s not annoyed me.

fingerbang
    Free Member

did anyone hear the final Shaun K show today? I was pretty moved by it, especially his last chat with Matt Everitt on Thursday and then his final address just now, he pretty much revealed that he’d been forced to go I think – I can’t remember the exact words and it wasn’t delivered in a DLT bitter tirade at all. Hes a class act after all. It was pretty emotional

given the continued employment of Liz Kershaw I thought BBC radio jocks were unsackable; they just get shunted and shunted into minor slots or dodgy times until they get the hint. Perhaps thats what happened with SK

Im a huge huge fan of Shaun K, and im in good company given the outpouring of affection for SK. I’ll genuinely miss him and my weekdays will definitely be different now.

jamiemcf

It was moving. I’ll miss his dulcet tones and sense of humour. He had a good range of fans on saying bye. I never really got his breakfast show but it seemed to work well in the afternoon.

nuke

Good riddance from me. And whilst we’re on the topic, I wished they’d find a better stand in for Lauren L than Gemma Cairney

P20

I think he worded as “when he found out he wouldn’t be continuing with this show” or something along those lines implying it wasn’t his choice. I was a bit surprised

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

6 music seems to be a great example of trying to fix something until it’s broken.

mdavids
    Free Member

Yeah I picked up on that comment. “Wasnt fully on board with the idea of not doing the show” was the comment I think. I’d been wondering whether he was forced out, plenty of others that should have gone first imo. I’ve been listening to 6 less and less and now Keaveny’s gone it’ll be even less.

onehundredthidiot

He’s a bit smashy and nicey but I’d forgive that with more music. The pub slot is just dull but chatting to punters is fine.
    The whole station seems to be slipping away from music.

kayak23

Really a sad listen.
    Does sound like leaving wasn’t his idea.

zippykona

Not a fan but as with Tory PMs I’m sure his replacement will be even worse.

donks
    Free Member

I got his last song well wrong though….the Carpenters!! Really?? ..I thought it was going to be Jane’s addiction for some reason.
    Good luck to him I say, and I just hope that Craig Charles doesn’t piss me off too much as I don’t mind him in small doses but he grinds my gears a bit when he laughs at his own gags and I’m not sure what his tastes are aside from funk and soul.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The whole station seems to be slipping away from music.

I was thinking the same thing. There seems to be an awful lot of talking sometimes, more often than not sod all to do about music. Seems a bit ironic for a station supposedly dedicated to music.

And when they do talk about music, they seem to be obsessed with a handful of bands rather than introducing the listeners to new stuff.

fingerbang
    Free Member

He played led zep, Jeff Buckley, smashing pumpkins in the last two hours. True to form

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Really hard and emotional listen. I’m quite disappointed he’s gone. Loved his style and humour. Seemed like a good bloke to me.

Made my dull afternoons at work bearable anyway. Will miss the daftness and the cartwall. Always thought it was his decision to go which u respected but now seems beeb got rid. According to Twitter it was because of his personal political views.

Bad enough when RadMac got relegated to weekends. Not sure I’ll bother with the station anymore. Not in the short term.

Anyway, cats, cats operating in gangs.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ahh, missed his last show. What a pisser. Took a few years but I’d grown to quite like his show.

mdavids
    Free Member

A quick search on twitter suggests rumours are he was told to button it with regards to brexit. Cant say I really noticed him as particularly vociferous about it, just the odd quip but nothing overt.

Are the bbc now so paranoid about upsetting the government/brexiteers that there can be absolutely no mention of the B word in anything other than a positive light? I just assumed the new head was having a cull of middle aged blokes and replacing them with the terminally humourless. Not sure which answer is the worse.

zippykona

Here’s the music NME 1 played today.
    https://onlineradiobox.com/uk/themusicmachine1/playlist/

richardkennerley

I just assumed the new head was having a cull of middle aged blokes and replacing them with the terminally humourless.

It seems odd he’s being replaced with Craig Charles. Yeah he’ll bring his own style of show, but it’s essentially replacing one middle aged northern bloke for another. If the change was to really shake things up, surely it would be Gemma Cairny or someone wildly different.

So maybe they didn’t like some of SK’s opinions, but didn’t want to lose some loyal listeners in that slot and picked the next closest option?

scuttler

I mean on the bright side whoever replaces SK, can’t be shitter than Steve Lamacq.

And if you asked me SKs view on Brexit I couldn’t honestly tell you. I could guess, but I wouldn’t honestly know.

fingerbang
    Free Member

If that’s the case then that’s shit. All the stations deejays are scrupulously apolitical in my experience, even though you know they’re probably left leaning anti brexit. With the exception of Liz Kershaw which goes to explain her sacred cow status

fingerbang
    Free Member

mean on the bright side whoever replaces SK, can’t be shitter than Steve Lamacq.

And if you asked me SKs view on Brexit I couldn’t honestly tell you. I could guess, but I wouldn’t honestly know.

Lamaq went up in my estimation yesterday with his ‘this is your life’ tribute to SK, although to be fair he might not necessarily have had anything to do with it

CountZero

I’d rather 6music played more up-and-coming artists and got their weekday daytime presenters to hone their recommendations.

Well, considering how often I’m opening Shazam to tag something I’ve not heard before on 6, then I’m happy they’re doing something right. One of my favourites at the moment are Amyl And The Sniffers, who just bring a smile to my face every time I hear them.
    HobNob played Incubus a week or so back, which I never thought I’d hear on the radio, I like Yard Act, Bleach Lab, JOHN (TIMESTWO), Special Interest, Opus Kink, English Teacher, Kills Birds…
    None of which I can imagine any other radio station anywhere playing.
    Some people just aren’t happy unless they’re whining about something.
    And also considering that all of those artists, among many others, I hear during my 30-40 minute commute to and from work – I don’t find time to listen anywhen else.

iwluap

I really liked Craig Charles when he stood in for the awful Lamacq earlier this year. He played some cracking tunes. Brought in the trunk of punk!

mdavids
    Free Member

I still regularly hear stuff I haven’t heard before on 6, for the most part I can’t complain about their playlist although some of the stuff they champion grates (I have to change the channel when Little Simz is played for example but I accept I’m not her audience).
    But Keaveny regular raised a smile, I appreciated his shtich and thought his show was a good counter to all the overly serious muso-bores across the rest of the line up. Apart from RadMac the station is now devoid of humour.

2bit

Depending where I am its either R6, worldwide FM or wefunk (100% funk, soul , hip hop 24/7).

Love funk n soul but dislike Craig Charles so much I can’t listen to him so more of him means less R6 for me (Various friends have DJ’d with him & all have said the same thing about him which just reiterates my dislike)

Will check out NTS & FIM.

sharkattack

(Various friends have DJ’d with him & all have said the same thing about him which just reiterates my dislike)

Go on then, spill the beans!

I’ve heard he always gets a little too refreshed and is generally sloppy and boisterous.

I’ve never met him and still listen on most Saturday nights.

muddyground
    Free Member

I have been at home 2 days now. R6 on. Just realised why I am gradually getting depressed. The stuff that they are currently playing is no better than you find on a 50 pence CD at a petrol station. So, so bad.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

R6 is pretty dire in the afternoons now since Keavney departed. Hope it picks up when Craig Charles takes over (I’m sure it will).

nicko74

R6 is pretty dire in the afternoons now since Keavney departed. Hope it picks up when Craig Charles takes over (I’m sure it will).

It’s been a perfect storm of sh*te really. A straight replacement of Craig Charles for Shaun Keaveney would have been good, but for whatever reason that’s not happened. And now it’s Hugh Stevens first thing (nice but just so generic), Lauren Laverne, Jamz Supernova (not for me) and Chris the Hawk Hawkins (excellent first thing, not so good at 1pm).

Out of that lot there sadly isn’t a single show I actually want to listen to, just a bunch of stuff that’s marginally better than Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright. For now I’m working my way through the Rolling Stone best 500 album list, but at some point I’ll need a proper radio station playing a decent mix of music, like what 6Music used to

IdleJon

artists who’ve had already received a fair slice of the pie (Bowie, Bowie, Bowie, the Rolling Stones, and Nick Lowe)

I’ve been puzzling over this comment since I read it. (And then couldn’t remember where I’d read it!) Is Nick Lowe now considered to be on the same level as Bowie and The Stones? I thought I was reasonably au fait with Lowe’s output, but how did I miss his ninja-like world domination? 😀

lambchop
    Free Member

Been enjoying listening to Anne Frankenstein filling in for Chris Hawkins this week. Minimal talk and a varied, eclectic playlist.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Totally fed up with some of the new hip, hop used to like hip hop but the current stuff seems like it was written in a school playground, and no there isn’t anything to read into this. I just can’t stand modern hip hop.

I know what you mean. I can’t stand it either. Things change and 20 year old should like things 40 year old doesn’t but it seems a gap in the radio market.

Even at my age I am an oddity for listening to the radio and not Spotify. Its a driving thing for me and I enjoy the feeling that you are listening to a conversation. Day time weekday radio 6 just isn’t worth it anymore unfortunately. Lucky most of my driving is late.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.