Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Fed up with 6 music?
  • wait4me

I don’t care what colour Gemma Cairney is, I’d just rather she didn’t talk to me like I was a 5 year old.

Paul. White male. Aged 53 1/2.

zippykona

That said, I’m a bit confused by the OP – why not just put your itunes on shuffle or make a playlist?

Because I always want to hear new stuff even if it’s old.
    I’d never heard this til yesterday. Imagine if I’d missed it.

brant
    Free Member

I don’t care what colour Gemma Cairney is, I’d just rather she didn’t talk to me like I was a 5 year old.

Paul. White male. Aged 53 1/2.

That is satire? Isn’t it?

mdavids
    Free Member

I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for Keaveny, if it’s not his choice to be going. I feel he’s been culled for being middle aged (and maybe a little past it) and will likely be replaced by ‘cool dj name generator’ Jamz Supernova to bring in more of the yoof audience. He seems to get a lot of stick on here but at least he doesn’t take himself seriously and as a fellow past-it middle aged bloke he usually manages to raise at least half a chuckle from time to time.

thenorthwind

I’m enjoying her in place of Lauren which I didn’t immediately think I would – it’s hard sometimes for white middle aged men to engage with brilliant black women in their mid 30’s, but it’s great to have your eyes and ears opened a bit.

Had no idea what colour her skin is (funny this radio thing with the hearing but not the seeing isn’t it) but it doesn’t change my opinion of her broadcasting, funnily enough.

scud
    Free Member

Well this shakes things up a bit.. Craig Charles taking over from Keaveny in afternoons, Iggy moving to the weekends, BUT 2 hours less RadMac…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/craig-charles-6-music-weekday-afternoon-show?fbclid=IwAR2CZ64JJi0urQiMuBdNvK98hbpP1gKiRLnwslTIr3XiR_o6rUpZpL2LlvY

thenorthwind

Weekday afternoons is a bit of a weird time for Craig Charles IMO, but maybe I struggle associating him with anything other than his party sets. I enjoyed it when he sat in for Keaveny (? – or was it the morning show) a while back. Thankfully the F&S show is staying, had me worried for a second.

Iggy on Sunday afternoon is weird too, definitely better on Friday evening.

Weekday RadMac is a big miss for me. Less weekend RadMac is not good.

thenorthwind

Hang on, better check with @brant whether Craig Charles is black enough given he’s not even female…

b33k34

Weekday afternoons is a bit of a weird time for Craig Charles IMO, but maybe I struggle associating him with anything other than his party sets. I enjoyed it when he sat in for Keaveny (? – or was it the morning show) a while back

He sat in for Lamacq during first lockdown. It worked well and he genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself the whole time, unlike Keveney whose schtick seems to be that he’d rather be anywhere else (or perhaps he’d just rather be anywhere else). Most DJs have a mainstream radio best before date. It’s not unusual. The ones that stay sounding fresh for decades are a rarity.

Iggy’s show will work equally well on a Sunday afternoon (its a pre record anyway and it’s on Sounds so nothing to stop you listening a week later on Friday night if that’s what floats your boat)

Don’t understand what’s going on with RadMac, but perhaps the love for them here isn’t reflected in audience figures. I can understand them not wanting an early start on weekends but I still rate them as probably the best, and most knowledgable, broadcasters on the station = a shame they couldn’t have kept going until 11 each day.

andrewreay

I love the CC F&S Show, and like CC generally, but six days a week?

I hope he manages to stay fresh and focused for his Saturday evening belters.

scud
    Free Member

I wonder with RadMac if it by their request? Radcliffe had his cancer diagnosis and recovery and in current times, maybe they want to scale back.

derek_starship
    Free Member

If sex and colour don’t matter a jot, why are the BBC prioritising both of those over ability and experience?

And it’s not just the BBC.

johnx2
    Free Member

… middle-aged middle class white guys being such a discriminated against and disempowered group? Bait, Shirley?

thenorthwind

He sat in for Lamacq during first lockdown

That was what I was thinking of. Yeah, I thought he was really good. Wasn’t sure how well his personality would translate from party set to drivetime DJ, but worked really well.

alanl
    Free Member

Craig Charles has stood in for Steve Wright on R2 a number of times, he was good. I’m not sure 5 days a week and twice on a Saturday will be a good thing though.

sharkattack

Just switched 6 on for the first time this week.

Second song to come on- Chez Longue

Back to Spotify..

b33k34

Just switched 6 on for the first time this week.

Second song to come on- Chez Longue

Why do people still act surprised about hearing songs on the playlist a lot?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5JDPyPdDGs3yCLdtPhGgWM7/bbc-radio-6-music-playlist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio/entries/df07a250-5626-37a8-b374-57c15f0f6f31

thenorthwind

I’m well aware of the playlist. Even before I was aware of how explicitly it’s defined, I could tell which times of day were subject to it. Maybe I’m imagining it, but sometimes I think you can hear a note of frustration in some DJs’ voices at having to play a playlist track, again.

Interesting to read that blog about it. I still can’t see the point in it, and don’t think it really offers any strong arguments in favour of it TBH. When I hear a new track I like on the radio, it more often than not gets ruined by being completely overplayed.

sharkattack

Why do people still act surprised about hearing songs on the playlist a lot?

I’m not surprised I’m just bored and disappointed by it. Even if you like a song on Monday morning you’ll be bloody sick of it by Friday afternoon.

kayak23

Well I hope at least we get a daily trunk of punk.

tenfoot

I’m finding the best way to listen at the moment is on Sounds on delay. I usually start listening to Chris Hawkins’ 5 am show at 7 and carry on through the morning. Gives me the option of fast forwarding anything I don’t want to hear.

Won’t work for everyone though I know.

scratch
    Free Member

I was very 6 Music until a few years ago, it’s mostly Radcliffes fault for introducing me to WFMU (Great station in a very random way) once ween’d off R6 I found NTS, love this station, Weatherall’s monthly residency was my highlight, I still listen back to his old shows on Mixcloud now, David Holmes, Fourtet, Erol Alkan do a decent job of filling the space left

Charlie Bones in the morning has pretty much got me through WFH lockdown, and has also introduced me to Limmy ‘shes turned the we’ans against me!’

thenorthwind

I lasted about 10 minutes of Cairney this morning. It has to be pretty bad for me to actively turn the radio off, but I find her annoying beyond belief. And she’s on for FOUR HOURS this morning. Will investigate some of the other recommendations after my meeting this morning.

b33k34

Maybe I’m imagining it, but sometimes I think you can hear a note of frustration in some DJs’ voices at having to play a playlist track, again.

Huey in particular. He dislikes the new Sault track so much he played the instrumental last weekend

Fully agree on getting tired of stuff too but every station with a playlist is the same. Though not a problem if you’re in the majority who listen less frequently/ for less time.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I listened to NTS earlier and the scouse presenter (MAKKKA?) said FFS live on air / line. I was horrified and now feel sullied.

tenfoot

Huey in particular. He dislikes the new Sault track so much he played the instrumental last weekend

Hmm. I thought Sault were great when I first came across them, but now I get the feeling they’re just playing the same track over and over and just changing the words.

scratch
    Free Member

I listened to NTS earlier and the scouse presenter (MAKKKA?) said FFS live on air / line. I was horrified and now feel sullied.

Yeah, they don’t have too many rules, at times the one DJ will just play on in the hope the next person arrives in the next 15-20 minutes…the swearings not big or clever but it’s mostly run by under 30s and half the time it’s just like them speaking to their mates, there’s no cut off. The contents usually ok though and I’m not playing it out to granny in the living room

scratch
    Free Member

Giles Peterson’s Worldwide radio is my other go to when NTS gets a bit too grime.

choppersquad
    Free Member

If Keaveney’s gone then I’ve gone.
    Don’t understand the hate…. he was the best thing on six.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’ve found it unlistenable today, Gemma cairney is really annoying and the music in particular has been toss

I’ve nothing to turn it over to so just turned it down.

I’m too much of a miserable middle aged man to not be annoyed when the DJ whoops about people going to latitude festival or plays a PJ Harvey song and goes ‘sing it PJ!!!!’

I might just have it put whale music or headspace on instead, might get some work done then

llama

TBF the fact that latitude is happening is quite exciting, in normal times I would not be seen dead there, but at the moment I am rather jealous.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah latitude going ahead is great and I hope it all goes well, it’s more the DJ being so giddy about that and other stuff. But that’s DJing I guess

That’s why SK was such a breath of stale air

fingerbang
    Free Member

Just playing ‘sugar kane’ so all is forgiven

thenorthwind

Switched the radio on in the kitchen this morning as per, even though it was just gone 7.30, so into the Cairney zone. Heard about 5 seconds of Chaise Longue, switched it off again. Too much for Monday morning. I’m now on WFMU again – had it on last week and the early morning show (8-11 our time) was great. All got a bit weird when the DJ came on at 11 and I felt like I was in Grand Theft Auto.

Laziness is the basic problem. I want to just switch the radio on and have something to listen to, not find a device, find a stream to listen to, and plug it into a speaker of some sort.

zippykona

Chooooooon.
    null

luv2ride
    Free Member

Have to say I’ve been listening to 6 Music a lot less of late, but just tuned in to SK’s show this afternoon and heard Katy J Pearson’s “Take back the radio” for the first time. Utterly brilliant. Going to give it a go again now, hoping there are a few more “what was that..?” moments

fingerbang
    Free Member

katy j pearson’s great, i might buy her album. Its on ‘Heavenly’ records so even better. I loved her last single, ‘miracle’

im enjoying the ‘Goat’ song just cos nice to hear some wah wah guitar fretwankery on the radio

he played an extended version of ‘cold sweat’ this afternoon which was particularly enjoyable.

luv2ride
    Free Member

im enjoying the ‘Goat’ song just cos nice to hear some wah wah guitar fretwankery on the radio

Yeah the Goat track was great, got the bass off the wall hanger to play along with that one (it’s been a while)! Had also forgotten what a good song “Cosmic Girl” is by Jamiroquai (Stuart Zender, great bassplayer…)…Funky Frank’s Friday Floorfillers. I might miss SK after all

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s been a new head of Radio 6 since last August (Samantha Moy), which is why we have been seeing all the changes. She started her career at Kiss FM, which goes a long way to explaining the thinking behind all the new DJs

john_l
    Free Member

Ravers standing in for Lamacq this week has been brilliant and I like Lamacq.

Quite happy to listen to 6m all day, except for SK, when I switch to R4 for the Archers and Gardener’s World. Horses for courses.

Oh and I though Gemma Cairney was great too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.