Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Fed up with 6 music?
  • zippykona

Try this https://radio.nme.com/
    Listening to nme 1 and apart from the lottery advert and the occasional hippity hop pity song it’s not annoyed me.
    They’ve just played Pink Frost by The Chills and Tail lights Fade by Buffalo Tom so I’m happy . No djs, I’d prefer some but can easily live within them.

thenorthwind

I’m still a 6music die-hard, but agree the standard has been dropping over the last couple of years.
    2 weeks of Gemma Cairney was not the news I was hoping for this morning.

jezzep

Totally fed up with some of the new hip, hop used to like hip hop but the current stuff seems like it was written in a school playground, and no there isn’t anything to read into this. I just can’t stand modern hip hop.

JeZ

tthew

2 weeks of Gemma Cairney was not the news I was hoping for this morning.

Oh really? I like Lauren Laverne, but I think Gemma Cairney is an excellent stand-in. Love her positive attitude and general enthusiasm for life. There’s plenty of full time DJ’s on 6 that should be put out to pasture with her given their job.

lister

“all the day long all the day long on the chaise longue…”

If they play that **** song one more time I might kill…!

sharkattack

“all the day long all the day long on the chaise longue…”

If they play that **** song one more time I might kill…!

Perfect example of a song which I really liked at first but has already been ruined by repetition.

kayla1
    Free Member

Gemma Cairney

Jebus wept, no. LaLa’s ace, MAH is brill despite the drivel, Ravers is rad and Huw Stephens is pretty listenable too but Gemma Cairney can FRO.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Perfect example of a song which I really liked at first but has already been ruined by repetition

Excuse me, what?

purple_moose
    Free Member

I’ve also pretty much dropped listening to 6music recently – too much repetition of songs and the news is on far too frequently – should be maximum twice a day

I now listen to https://www.fip.fr/

You can choose a genre of music you prefer – no song is repeated more than once every 48 hours – minimal chat (and what there is is all in French) – no news (I listen while working and am yet to hear any)

Keva
    Free Member

Gemma Cairney, is she the one who can’t pronounce ‘better’ properly? beh-err

DezB
    Free Member

, and no there isn’t anything to read into this. I just can’t stand modern hip hop

There is: you haven’t heard much modern hip-hop 😆

labsey
    Free Member

Still loyal to 6 Music during the day, less so after 5pm. Was surprise this morning when Lauren wasn’t on but Gemma Cairney is a good substitute!

After 5pm though, not good.

CountZero

and the news is on far too frequently – should be maximum twice a day

It’s a BBC station, you’ve only just realised that news is on every hour? And for what, three minutes?
    I don’t get much chance to listen to 6 except during my commute in the morning and evening, but I can pretty much guarantee that I’ll be asking Siri to Shazam something that I haven’t heard before. Last week I was feeling a bit under the weather and left work mid-morning while Hobnob was on, and she played a black metal band, Wolves In The Throneroom, who I hadn’t heard of before, who I really can’t imagine any other radio station playing.

DougD

I now listen to https://www.fip.fr/

Fip is excellent. I remember years ago when my gf lived in Brighton you could get it on the radio. Used to love cooking dinner with that on, just playing cool tracks and as you say, minimal chat, just the occasional news report in french on the main channel but I don’t think they do on the other ones. Now listen to it on the app and can highly recommend

chrismac

I gave 6 a go last week and soon gave up. I thought it was about music but instead they had what felt like never ending promotional interviews with presenters trying to be all matey with who ever the guests were

llama

Kexp is ok

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I’m a regular 6 music listener but really struggling with it at the moment. The playlist means it’s only a few hours before I’m repeat listening to tracks. It just sounds a bit drab sometimes.

Keaveney/Iggy/Huey/Charles/Caris are favourites, and Lard some evenings too. But the core playlist is bad, I’d rather hear them do their thing more.

pondo

+1 for FIP. 🙂

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve given up with R6 in the day during the week. Though Marc Riley and Gid Coe are still the best things on the radio, at 7 and 9pm.
    Radmac and Tom Robinson are highlights of the weekend.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I like the playlist, there’s the odd stinker but it’s turned over pretty quickly. Thankfully self esteem womans single has been rotated out, and hopefully chaise long is on its way out. In fact some of the playlist has been excellent, Emma Jean Thackeray springs to mind

Not a big fan of Gemma cairney but she did play an Onyx song this morning, so whatevs

I don’t know what id do without 6 music to be honest. The keaveny replacement is a big deal for me as can’t stand lamaq so the whole afternoon could be a write off

Just listening to gid Coe right now and it’s delightful as always,

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

NTS my bike riding brothers and sisters, NTS

http://Www.Nts.live

richardkennerley

I still have a soft spot for 6music, been listening for years. Guess it was probably Adam and Joe that brought me in originally. But something’s changed and I just can’t be arsed listening to it anymore.

Still like a lot of the presenters, I can tolerate terrible music knowing that something good could be round the corner and I’m just happy it’s not the same two day play list like on bloody absolute radio.

But I’ve gone to radio 4. And Nihal on 5live.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I loved that Self Esteem single!

Liked Chaise Longe first couple of times too….getting fairly irritating now though.

reeksy

I listen to Gilles Peterson’s show pretty much every week at least once. He rarely repeats tracks and covers a really wide range of genres. Freaking legend.

kayak23

Not sure who I’d like to replace Shaun, but please not Gemma Cairney or Amy Lame.

Tom Radcliffe would be ok in my book. Eternal stand-in that he is.
    Took me a while to warm to his monotone delivery but I like him now.

It is incredibly repetitive though sometimes. I guess many folks like that.

richardkennerley

What about Paddy McGuiness to replace Shaun… 💣🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🤣

Duggan

Can’t stand keaveny, Lamaq or Marc Riley (the others are great) so a huge chunk of the afternoon, in the week, is unlistenable for me.

If I’m working I’ll sometimes just stick Absolute Radio on even though there’s a ton of adverts.

Will deffo give that FIP a try now though.

kayak23

Tom Radcliffe would be ok in my book

Ravenscroft obvs. Bit of a dj mash up there.

scud
    Free Member

i always loved 6 Music, there wasn’t a station around that played the music i liked without constant adverts.

i think they have forgotten their target audience is mostly middle-aged men, even if that is not want they wanted. So i used to want a bit more old school hip-hop and some old dance music in amongst the indie tracks. But they seem to have just brought a lot of modern dance music DJ’s, when there is already Radio 1, Radio 1 Dance, Kiss etc for that if you want it.

Best way to listen to it i find now is to listen to the particular shows i still like downloaded via BBC Sounds, so i can pick and choose.

in the car, i find myself playing Absolute 90’s most of the time.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks for suggesting. I’m listening to NME 1 on my network streamer and I’m enjoy the lack of DJ and pretty good playlist.

Paddy McGuinness would probably replace himself. Ubiquitous pr1ck.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s losing older listeners by trying to appeal more to a younger audience – I’m 31 and I find a lot of it quite stuffy, but I still don’t hear much new/upcoming music on the regular daytime playlisted shows (apart from hearing the same songs all day long all day long…). I don’t know many younger listeners either.

Tom Ravenscroft/Giles Peterson is a good balance for me, proper DJs.

cheese@4p

Cull time
    Erm er Radcliffe and erm erm er Maconie, first up against the wall

Nick

I like Mark Riley, old school indie, great

Saturday’s are just great though and better now Liz Kershaw has **** off, Rad Mac, Huey, Jamz, Gilles, Craig all excellent, nice

dannybgoode

I have 6M on in the car sometimes when R4 doesn’t have something on I find interesting. At home though, on the odd occasion I listen to the radio it is one of the Radio Paradise channels. Always good music, no ads and high quality streaming. Currently got their world music channel on…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I don’t know many younger listeners either.

Do the kids listen to ‘the radio’ these days?

I never did and them days was yonks ago.

ElShalimo

@cheese@4p – how very dare you!

thenorthwind

Saturday’s are just great though and better now Liz Kershaw has **** off

Hear hear!

IdleJon

Do the kids listen to ‘the radio’ these days?

My three teenagers don’t – I doubt they even know how to turn a radio on. I’d imagine it’s as archaic as a record player. (One of them recently asked me how a record player worked..)

warton
    Free Member

Re. Gemma Cairney.

today she said how much she loved 80s music, and here’s some ‘Blanc Mange’.

Don’t you mean blancmange?

yep, you really love that 80s music

Saturdays are good, Ravenscroft is good, and i though Lauren and Mary Anne were excellent during lockdown, but it’s gone a bit stale

brant
    Free Member

today she said how much she loved 80s music, and here’s some ‘Blanc Mange’.

Don’t you mean blancmange?

yep, you really love that 80s music

except that isn’t actually what happened at all if you go back and listen to the show on Sounds…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y0ck

1hr 14min for intro, 1hr 17min 30 for out-tro.

Me, I was delighted she played Blancmange, and loved the way she called herself out for the mispronunciation of a rarely played track that was released a year before she was born.

I’m enjoying her in place of Lauren which I didn’t immediately think I would – it’s hard sometimes for white middle aged men to engage with brilliant black women in their mid 30’s, but it’s great to have your eyes and ears opened a bit.

That said, I’m a bit confused by the OP – why not just put your itunes on shuffle or make a playlist?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.