Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fed up of being a drowned on a ride..which damn good jacket?
  • goby

Oh all so I’m fed up of getting downed on my rides as all my jackets are really old now and now matter how much nicwax I try they have had it tape on joins gone and fabric layers are separating.
    So what damn good waterproof jacket for Mtb can you all recommend? As for cost I don’t care now just need something that works!!

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Really impressed with my decathlon mtb jacket, waterproof, breathable, well fitted cant reccomend it enough.

Trimix
    Free Member

I recently bought an Endura jacket for MTB’ing. They do a variety of types, colours. Small enough to live in my camelback till needed. Not too expensive that you cry when you ride through brambles wearing it.

Also not super expensive because it claims to be breathable. I dont believe anything is breathable for proper mountain biking. When your in your lowest gear, breathing out of your ass up a long, steep Welsh hill, sweating like Sumo in a sauna, nothing works.

They work fine at keeping the rain off, also comes with a detachable hood.

I figure it will work well for a few years then die, like all my other waterproofs despite re-proofing them. Never seems to work as the adverts tell you. So buy a cheaper jacket and expect a few years use rather than an expensive one that never lives up to the hype.

Of course, for road riding its a different matter, higher speed, less sweating – then breathable can work. But roadie jackets are even more expensive, but they do last years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    escrs
    Free Member

My Altura Nevis has never let me down, gets used on my 15 mile round trip commute and then on the mtb at weekends

Got some nice features too like 3 good size front pockets (one is a chest pocket) large rear pocket and zippered arm pit vents to aid cooling

Can be had for under £50 and is on sale at £35 at the momment on some sites

joepud
    Free Member

Totally agree. I have given up on the prospect of staying dry on any ride in the coming weeks. Today I think they said 20% chance of light rain in London… it rained and it was anything but light.

ton

most cycling jackets are no more than lightweight showerproof things.
    pretty shit in most conditions.
    to ride in rain for a long time you need a good outdoor jacket.
    bikepackers spend a lot more time outside on their bikes riding than most mtb riders do.
    bikepackers with any amount of sense are using Columbia Outdry jackets.

they look shit. but by heck they work…….. ;o)

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/c/outdry-extreme-rainwear

z1ppy

After several years (ok a decade) of Decathlon kit which has been great value for money, I notice some Endura kit on sale for the same price of the latest Decathlon cycle jacket (which looks great). So far I’ve been extremely impressed by the performance Endura’s Singetrack jacket (it **** rocks), it also has pitzips to help out with those long assents, that would overwhelm any purely breathable material. I also bought the Endura MTR shell for summer use, after reading recommendation for it on over many years, though only limited use so far, it was brilliant yesterday in the rain & packs up very small.

MoreCashThanDash

Been 2-3 threads on here this week, must be the weather for it

goby

Yeah sorry about that just got back from another ride drenched and had enough so didn’t scroll through, will look at suggestions and start making a list!
    Had an Endura one for 6 years but it’s just died now, stops a very light shower but that’s it.

four
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Castelli IDRO PRO Shakedry jacket after getting fed up being wet from being caught out in showered.

I’ve got an Endura shell and being honest it’s crap – I sweat in it and it leaks.

Shakedry maybe fragile for full on mtb but I ride XC up on the South Downs and road and gravel so I’m hoping it will be a decent purchase.

roballison

Had a berghaus jacket for 10yrs. Been faultless.

tall_martin

I have spent the last two days in my 10 year old goretex packlight jacket.

My mate was in one year old shake Dry jacket.

I was a bit sweaty on the inside, he said he was dry.

Mine let the rain in- it’s covered in repairs.

His mostly didn’t.

I’d not by a shakedry jacket for my local stuff as it’s covered in brambles and Holly.

I will buy a gore packlight jacket when I give up fixing this one.

joebristol

I’d have a look on sport pursuit (you need to sign up for free) and they’ve had some Event jackets that have looked decent. Fairly breathable- but like mentioned above I think mtb defeats most breathable materials that are also waterproof. To much slow speed gurning at high intensity uphills without much wind flow.

I’ve got a Royal Racing Matrix jacket I picked up in a half price sale for £50 a few years back. Generally I like it but wish it didn’t have a hood (or had a detachable one). For cycling I prefer just to have something with a high collar – I find hoods either just get in the way or on a road bike they fill up with air and slow you down.

Superficial
    Free Member

True, but a hood that can go over a helmet is a real luxury in a proper downpour.

alan1977
    Free Member

Ive got a leatt 5.0? jacket
    it is definitely waterproof (i jetwashed it off when i finished my ride last night, one side wet, the other not)
    It isn’t the absolute most breathable jacket (apparently, i have nothing to compare it to) i do ride with the vents open and sometimes dropping the zip, i stayed pleasantly dry and not too warm on my ride last night, i do struggle with temperatures and love feeling the draft pulling sweat off me.
    but it was 18 deg c and masses of standing water, and i was fine. also has nice finishing touches like magnetic hood retention and lots of draw strings

goby

Ah that’s spooky was reading about the Leatt 5.0 jacket and is added to the list too.cheers for all the reply’s.

lucky13
    Free Member

I recently got a Gore R7 Shakedry Trail jacket. Gore recommended it to me for biking even though it’s part of their running range.

Being a Shakedry, it’s superb in heavy rain. The hood has the best under helmet fit I’ve tried. The fabric is stronger than on the other Shakedry jackets. It is the only version they recommend for use with a backpack.

Can’t comment on long term durability yet. I’ve had other Gore-Tex repaired by Scottish Mountain Gear before, so if it does get damaged at some point I’ll send it to them.

lucky13
    Free Member

A couple of links for R7 Shakedry Trail jacket reviews:
    https://bikepacking.com/gear/three-gore-ultralight-jackets-review/
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/07/reviewed-womens-gore-wear-summer-mtb-apparel-r7-shakedry-trail-hooded-jacket/ – this is the women’s version so has the pocket on the back

yoshimi

What Ton said – Columbia Outdry

I picked one up whilst in the states, cost about £70 there – membrane on the outside so you can literally hose it down afterwards – 100% waterproof, has pit vents, packs up tiny, been pretty tough from falls and strap rubbage

The only real isue is that someone I ride with says it looks like I’m wearaing a big johnny

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Endura MT500 is what you need great jacket nice fit, excellent ventilation and for me never failed, I had one for 3 years seams went refunded under warranty recently purchased newer model.

joebristol

The only real isue is that someone I ride with says it looks like I’m wearaing a big johnny

And they’d be correct 🤣

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fed up of being a drowned on a ride..which damn good jacket?’ is closed to new replies.