February 2009 – This Months Classifieds Contributors

Home Forum Classifieds – For Sale February 2009 – This Months Classifieds Contributors

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • February 2009 – This Months Classifieds Contributors
  • Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

This classified forum is run charge free to registered members. To keep it free we encourage the occasional donation if you have done particularly well with a sale. So far this month the following classifieds users get our appreciation from making a donation.

Thanks guys!

Mr C I Wilkinson
    Velocis Ltd
    Christopher Hadaway
    Nicholas Gilling
    Peter Atkin
    Stephen Lord
    Frank Yates
    Martin Robinson
    Jonathan Moore
    Daniel Whittaker
    Robert Belsom
    Adam Dunajko
    Chris Hudson

Premier Icon postierich
    Subscriber

Hopefully you got a donation from another user that I gave a child seat clamp to and posted free of charge.

Rich

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

I’ve not included January’s donations in this. Just starting it from February the first. Apologies if you donated in January. We love you just as much as these guys above 🙂

When we get to the end of February I’ll unsticky this one and start a new sticky for March.

PeterPoddy

This is a very good idea, Mark. I gave some little widgets away to a bloke for free and he suggested he’d make a donation….. We shall see…..
    🙂

EDIT – And now I feel guilty because I’ve sold some gear on here recently, so your cunning plan has worked….
    😉

julianwilson

that is an excellent idea. perhaps if sellers put their login name on the paypal message bit then you can show them too?

lord

donation sent,thanks

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Would it be possible to include or, probably better, for confidentiality issues,to use the username as an alternative?
    Just a thought.

clubber

just a suggestion but I’d actually be happy enough to give a few quid a month through paypal. Is it possible to set up regular payments with pp? I reckon that there’s a fair few people who’d do it and it’d add up…

gtkid

Great idea, will shame me in to donating but as others have said, would it be better to use usernames?

druidh

If it’s from Paypal, it’ll be whichever name that uses.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

If it’s from Paypal, it’ll be whichever name that uses.

You could add your username in the message part. It doesn’t bother me and probably lots of others, but I reckon some folk may be put off by having their names posted on here.

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Oh dear, so shaming people into donating is the way forward?

I bet that really kills the kind of people that freeload the classifieds.

FFS, even the ‘trade ad’, that was closed earlier, left the sellers email in the replies, not to forget it was also in his profile anyway, and all the details of what was being sold & the price was there for all to see after it was closed.

BTW, can we have a sticky thread for all those that have lost out this month? currently I’m £100 down due to royal mail.

TTFN.

alias

FWIW the guy (Will Cambell) who scammed me for £45 before xmas…and a load more of us too….he knocked £5 off the asking price if I made a donation to the STW classified fund….cheeky eh? Now I know what he was on about….donation to come…I sold my Jones here….. BTW I see this as not so much shaming as informational!

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

It’s not shaming.. it’s recognising the people who donate. Just like the page in the mag this issue that thanks all those who donated post hack was not a page intended to shame people into donating but just to say thanks.

What is your point 2unfit?

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Mark, did you read the thread I posted on the main forum?
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/should-stw-charge-for-adds

I just think you deserve more than the odd quid or two for bankrolling the busiest bike classified forum this side of ebay.
    That is all.

coffeeking

Not wishing to be contrary, but it doesnt take much bankrolling an MTB classifieds forum – I’m fairly confident that donations more than cover it. I see no reason not to list donators, it’s only those who feel they’ve done really well but havent donated and feel they maybe should have that are likely to feel guilty. But likewise I dont see the point, the donations are there for people to say thanks for them getting a bargain and wishing to help out, theres not much point in thanking them for thanking you.

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

The feedback we got for the page we ran in the mag spoke volumes to us so we decided to run an online version here. The weight of opinion is most certainly for it. Why does their have to be a point to say ‘thanks’?

2Unfit.. We read and talked about the issues revolving around the classifieds on that thread and we all agree that there’s no way we can really charge for classified ads. As soon as there is a charge levied, no matter how small, the traffic will fall off disproportionately. So it’s a case of less traffic with small charges or high levels of traffic with no charge. We have decided to maintain the traffic levels so the use of our classifieds will remain free. However, the costs involved are real and go beyond just hosting. We are a company that employs people who need to be paid. That means everything we do needs to have a positive effect in terms of financial reward – otherwise what’s the point of it? We are providing a free resource that allows trading to take place that over a year amounts to millions of pounds. We get nothing in return for that service other than the occasional donation. The commercial reality is that we need to look at ways of getting a return on this service. We don’t want to restrict anyone’s free us of it and so we feel at the moment voluntary donations are the way forward.

hora

I’ve bought a few things this month but dont recognise any names on the above list 🙄

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

I’ll have a scan through the payments again. Sorry if I missed it hora.

timbercombe

What about a £10/year subs. for use of the classifieds? Most people have a tenner in paypal anyway?

Ok, so I’m going to ask a daft question, but how do I make a donation ?

OK,OK, now I’ve seen it. The big yellowy orange “Make a Donation” button. We don’t need to make a big deal over it….. please. 😳

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

looks like someone forgot to make a donation they promised when i sent out some stuff for nowt……

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

name and shame 😉

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I was one of those who got their name in the mag for post hack donationing. I was left feeling slightly embarassed I hadn’t sent more as I didn’t feel it deserved mentioning me by name in print and certainly wasn’t done in the expectation of recognition.

anyway – I think the list above is a good idea and will hopefully make people think about sending money when they do make a sale – particularly as some fairly high value items (often non-bike) go through the classifieds on here.

I know the old donate button generated about £3.42 during the course of a year so this can’t do any worse…

Premier Icon Andy
    Subscriber

Mag list; yes totally unexpected , but nice to be recognised. Thanks.

This list is fine Mark, but this only works if you keep the list updated regularly. I’ve sold a fair few bits recently and contributed based on funds recieved so far. I’d like my buyers to know that I’m playing fair, and so would espect to see my contribution recognised, say within 24hrs, of making it.

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

That’s a bit optimistic. We (or more accurately, I) don’t have the time to commit to checking our paypal account every day. I’ll do it as often as I can though.

Premier Icon Andy
    Subscriber

fair enough! 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘February 2009 – This Months Classifieds Contributors’ is closed to new replies.