Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Fear of holes is real
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Trypophobia Metro

If things like this make your skin crawl, than you are not alone and it is perfectly normal to run away screaming (regardless of your other half standing there rolling their eyes)

Blooming yech

No, just no

Somethng waiting to drag your face off

Think we should form a group where we can talk about the first time
    we realised that we feared holes.

MSP

I used to love a bit of crumpet, now you have ruined it 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

That first one is unsettling

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

That first one is unsettling

It really is. It’s like a bag of alien eyeballs.

Eyeball phobia is a thing too I think.

nealglover
    Free Member

This was on my Facebook feed the other day with the line “what happens next will blow your mind” or something similar.

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t mind crumpets but I really hate the first photo.
    There was a thread about phobias on here last year that mentioned this.

Urghh, makes me feel really anxious and sick looking at those things.

mrsfry
    Free Member

@MSP Sorry, but it’s for your own good 😳

maccruiskeen

CountZero

Fear this, then; a toad that carries its young embedded in the skin on its back:

slowoldman

No discernible effect on me at all.

Drac

Don’t Google Mangoworms if the first image disturbs you.

You can have a phobia of anything irrational, that’s the point.

RobHilton
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C2WIvJUBbJw[/video]

maccruiskeen

The OP had best avoid Blackburn

stumpy01

Yep, the weird holey pattern thing makes me feel quick queasy, rather than scared.

Video of that toad thing with it’s young breaking out of it’s back also weirds me out & there’s a jpeg doing the rounds of the teeth in the skull of a baby that makes me feel quite unsettled.

With me it is definitely something to do with patterns in nature, although honeycomb etc doesn’t bother me….

That seed pod…..bleurgh…..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Someone’s buttered that crumpet COOOOOOLLDD!!!!. Aaaaaaaarrrr?rrrrrgggggggghhhhh!!!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Not me, but I know someone who is freaked out by it – me, I’m freaked by that tic extraction! (Linked on the Metro page)
    Insects under the skin, now THAT is something to be weirded out by.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I regret making this thread. Anybody want to stay up all night with a flash light and a hammer 😯

Drac

insects under the skin, now THAT is something to be weirded out by.

You’ve Googled my suggestion then?

shermer75
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Perhaps you need to adopt the mantra

‘Every Hole is a Goal’

That toad scored big…

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Last hole I had the misfortune to fall into left me looking like a buttered crumpet 😛

DT78
    Free Member

This just made me gag. Will not google something Drac mentions ever ever again

Click at your peril

jimmy

Mangoworms was what I thought of with that first pic. Rationally, fine. But I feel a bit queasy.

EDIT: just watched that link. Good grief, I don’t know what boiled eggs that guy’s eating.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Damn your eyes 😯 That video is…….

You and Drac should be banned everyday…..i’m off to find someone to hold 🙁

pinetree
    Free Member

You know, I never thought I had any phobias, let alone one of holes… But something about that first image makes my skin crawl.

Bleurgh… *shudders*

GrahamS

Must stop kneeling on the gravel:

somafunk

Back in 94 I came back from a 6 month holiday in Zimbabwe with a new pet embedded in my leg 😀 , when out there I was told to always iron my clothing that I hung out to dry on a hot heat iron as there is a little fly known as a “jigga” that likes to lay its eggs/larvae on damp clothing, especially seams. To be honest I was always sceptical of this but as the houseboy dealt with all the washing I didn’t pay attention to it.
    In my last week in the country I went up to visit friends who had a house in Vic Falls as we were going rafting/bungee jumping/flying and bush hiking for my final week before I flew back home, as there was no houseboy (shock horror 😉 ) I ended up washing my own clothing so hung it out to dry and as we were heading out to the Explorers bar for a long drinking session I pulled my damp bush shorts from the line and wore them which was a mistake as the thick seam that ran up the inner thigh rubbed a red weal on my inner thigh. I thought no more of it until a few days after I returned to Scotland and picked the head off a rather unsightly large spot were the shorts had rubbed me raw and noticed something moving inside, I tried to grab it with tweezers but the little **** buried deeper 😯 . Straight off up to local docs/health centre and explained I had something wriggling in my thigh, a nurse saw me and I explained where I’d been, what I thought it was and she confirmed “yep, there’s something in there-wait here and I’ll get the doctor to have a look”.

Eventually the doctor came and confirmed there was something in there (no shit Sherlock), to cut a gruesome story short it ended up with me having a local anaesthetic and 6 stitches as they had to cut me rather deeply to make sure they got all of the little critter out, it wasn’t really that little once it was removed.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Never use that story as a chat up line…..gross. I hope your OH makes you keep your leg in the shed.

(Starts scratching leg)

andyl
    Free Member

I would never eat crumpets as a kid as I thought little creatures lived in the holes!

I also still have a dislike of earwigs as I used to think they burrowed backwards into your ears and through into your brain.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Best not watch Star Trek II then 😉

*The Wrath Of Khan

slimjim78
    Free Member

I thought I was probably alone in this fear. First pic especially, and that weird Japanese girl(wtf?) just send shivers. The idea of embedded holes in flesh especially is almost enough to make me wretch.

Is there any scientific reasoning behind this phobia? Or, some kind of fight or flight reaction?

Crumpets I’m generally ok with, I think it’s because the holes aren’t usually a regular shape or pattern. Or maybe just because they are delicious.

Drac

Holes in crumpets. Finbar would be Fnaring himself to death.

stumpy01

slimjim78 – Member

I thought I was probably alone in this fear. First pic especially, and that weird Japanese girl(wtf?) just send shivers. The idea of embedded holes in flesh especially is almost enough to make me wretch.

Is there any scientific reasoning behind this phobia? Or, some kind of fight or flight reaction?

Funnily enough, until recently I thought it was just me that got freaked out by this stuff.
    The article I saw (via a FB link) basically said that the internet is allowing people to share and discuss rare ‘conditions’ more readily and several new illnesses/phobia’s/ailments have been characterised as a result.

The article I read basically said that no one knows exactly why people have a phobia of holes, but mentioned something about it may be a response to moulds or fungus’ that occur naturally and we would want to avoid; hence the feeling queasy thing, so you naturally avoid them.

I remember walking home from school as a kid & there was a patch on someone’s tarmacked driveway where some plants were pushing through. The regular pattern of broken holes with little shoots poking through used to make me feel really ill; I had to remember to avert my eyes as we got near.

That Japanese girl with holes in her arms & legs is so obviously photoshopped that I don’t get a reaction to it, although I have seen more subtle versions where just one of those seed pods has been ‘imbedded’ in someone’s back and that sets me off….. 😀

globalti
    Free Member

This is fear of holes; I love this huge painting in Manchester City Art Gallery:

(Briton Riviere: ‘In Manus Tuas Domine’ 1879)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it only wee holes that give the fear? is it the actual hole, or the thought of some wee creepy thing inside?. Do big holes have the same effect on you, ie that huge hole in the ground in Turkmenstan?.

Genuinely interested.

There was a GIF going about on here of some kind of grub type thing coming out below a guys hairline, tweezers come into view and the thing goes back below the skin.
    I have to say, I didn’t like that much at all!.

stumpy01

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Is it only wee holes that give the fear? is it the actual hole, or the thought of some wee creepy thing inside?. Do big holes have the same effect on you, ie that huge hole in the ground in Turkmenstan?.

Dunno exactly what it is with me, but it’s generally holes in some kind of regular pattern; they can be filled or not filled with something and don’t even have to be ‘gruesome’. It’s weird because I can acknowledge the natural beauty of that lotus seed pod & how clever it actually is, but it still weirds me out.

Some people seem to get the same feeling looking at photo’s of stacked pipes end-on etc. but that kind of thing doesn’t affect me. The holes in crumpets don’t bother me, nor does the regular arrangement of something like honeycomb.

Regarding the large hole comment – it’s not really the hole itself, but a regular pattern of them, so no a large hole in the ground wouldn’t have any affect on me….but a pattern of large holes photographed aerially from some distance away might…..

Weird….

rocketman
    Free Member

This whole thread is full of weird

IGMC

verses

Eventually the doctor came and confirmed there was something in there (no shit Sherlock), to cut a gruesome story short it ended up with me having a local anaesthetic and 6 stitches as they had to cut me rather deeply to make sure they got all of the little critter out, it wasn’t really that little once it was removed.

This story is fine without pics…

spekkie
    Free Member

Man this thread is awful!

I started reading and I was ok with the crumpets, but not so keen on the first pic, which made my skin crawl a bit. Then I made the mistake of watching the “dog with worms” link.

In quick succession I had crawling skin, then a funny bitter juice forming in the corners of my jaw, and then I started getting itchy all over. Now I’m fidgeting and scratching and typing.

Funny thing was I found it really hard to look away from the video for at least 2 minutes! What’s that all about???

stumpy01

spekkie – Member

Funny thing was I found it really hard to look away from the video for at least 2 minutes! What’s that all about???

Didn’t watch the video, but I am the same with other video’s I have seen & the images.
    I am grossed out by it, but strangely fascinated at the same time, so want to look at them, but then get queasy doing so……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Fear of holes is real’ is closed to new replies.