Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • FB ..
  • sunshine1
    Free Member

Hi, hi, hi
    After having avoided falling off my bike consecutively for 2 weeks, on Tuesday this week the bike wheel got stuck on the tram rail/trail in Edinburgh landing flat on my side leaving me with pretty nasty cuts and bruises. As I cannot avoid riding thru the same spot I’ll probably have to replace my bike? Read somewhere that this called ‘Fat Bike’ might be better to use on this kind of ‘terrain’? I have an old Cannondale (light weight) that was given to me 12 years ago. I have grown very fond of it but I guess safety comes first. Can anyone advise me on what are the bestoptions? As I’m a girl I dont know anything about bikes (apart from the basics of course) Thank you guys! 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Pics of cuts n bruises and general flesh ?

sunshine1
    Free Member

Na thats not allowed jack the ripper! aha 🙄

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

1st post suicide right there. 😆

What you need is a tandem.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Swede the rapist if you please 😈

tazzymtb

Swede you got it wrong, you’re a psychoanalyst for a job so it’s Swede “therapist” idiot!!

sunshine1
    Free Member

Tandem? Nice one dude 😐

sunshine1
    Free Member

Thums up tazzy! 😛

TheSwede
    Free Member

psycho anal yst 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Bet Fred.

sunshine1
    Free Member

I guess I have come to the wrong plc for advise!? huh .. ❓

TheSwede
    Free Member

Don’t ride too close to the tram lines 🙄 but yes. You’re welcome 😀

Northwind

Right across the tramlines, not into them.

sunshine1
    Free Member

Errr you have just insulted my intelligence Swede .. ty anyway.

TheSwede
    Free Member

sunshine1 – Member

Errr you have just insulted my intelligence Swede .. ty anyway.

this week the bike wheel got stuck on the tram rail/trail

Really? 😉

sunshine1
    Free Member

You must be bored to death!

Mascy
    Free Member

Sunshine1; presumably you have to ride down a road adjacent or in very close proximity to the tram lines – which are also going in the same direction as the road?

You’re suggesting you want to change your bike to avoid your wheels falling into the tram ‘ruts’?

If you like the Cannondale that much, you don’t want to change it, so you need other options; as I see it these are either learn to avoid the rails by positioning yourself on the road further away from them. Alternatively, take a different route.

Either way, don’t change a bike you love just to accommodate for you what is a tricky section at present.

Good luck!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yeah, we don’t have trams around here. Lol at Mascy

sunshine1
    Free Member

Changing the route is not an option and yes .. I dont want to fall into the lines AGAIN! taking into consideration the wet weather in this country there is always a chance i’ll fall and bang my butt again. Safety comes first 8)

falkirk-mark

can you not put wider tyres on your wheels and keep them pumped up hard

Bregante

Something like this? 😉

sunshine1
    Free Member

Thats what I thought F-M not sure how effective and cheap would be? any ideas of prices for BIGGER tyres?? BTW I do check my bike every day. Last time I replaced my tyres was in March/April so there were brand new 😛

sunshine1
    Free Member

Lol at Bregante .. nice 1 :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

can’t change your route?

tons of choices in our city

sunshine1
    Free Member

Like I said I CANT change the route and I cannot give you the exact route I take. But its the ‘safest route’ apart from the damned bit that has the tram line. Otherwise I would not be asking for advise señores! (i’ll put the kettle on am loosing my patience) 😕 ¬¬

cynic-al
    Free Member

CANT = WONT

falkirk-mark

Probably could get wider tyres for £30 a pair online but they may be a bit heavier going than your present tyres.

sunshine1
    Free Member

WONT=CANT Time for a bath 😆

druidh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZnDlcBVlIg[/video]

sunshine1
    Free Member

Thanks Mark 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

Buy a fat bike… cruise to work during the week, do not worry about tramline ruts, potholes, taxies, people, roadies etc.. just roll right over them all with a big grin :mrgreen:

Then head east on the train with bike at the weekend and cruise the coastline in East Lothian… 🙂

Not many fat lovers on here, plenty septics – i mean sceptics and haterz and doubters :mrgreen:
    and also loads that dont ride much but pass judgement – let them be the mould on the bread… do what YOU want and ride what you want. 😉
    If i lived up town in Edinburgh i would deft ride my pugsley every day as some of the roads are not smooth at all in at the side, never mind the tramlines…

Oh here are some links; 🙂

USA (world wide imput) MTBR Fatbike Forum

UK Facebook page; UK Fatbikes

proof they are fun… http://coastkid.blogspot.co.uk/

poly
    Free Member

I’m guessing this is a troll, but Druidh’s video is a start. I think TIE were running some special initiatives to train cyclists on crossing the lines. I’m note sure why you can’t change your riding style to cross the lines at 60 deg. Perhaps you can post a Google Streetview of the particular site?

“Like I said I CANT change the route and I cannot give you the exact route I take. But its the ‘safest route'” but is it the safest overall accounting for this – especially if trams eventually start zipping up and down there.

Rather than changing the bike – perhaps some skills training would give the confidence and skills to clear the hazard?

Trimix
    Free Member

You should give up cycling – it sounds like its not for you.

If your failing on tramlines dont even thing about riding off road – you might die.

Northwind

Northwind – Member

Right across the tramlines, not into them.

sunshine1
    Free Member

The video was pretty good. Thanks. I see your point Poly kinda makes sense 🙂 Trimix has gone a bit over the top 😕 Like I said I am a very careful biker even a driver (no points on licence or accidents since 1998) 😀 the accident was just a one off, just the thought of having to cycle on that road again gives me the creeps. I thought that getting a bigger bike/tyres would do the trick?? Anyway still got 2 weeks off the road untill I recover properly. I’ll go along to a bike shop next week to see what my best options are..safety, safety, safety..
    ***NO PLANNING TO DIE (YET) .. LIFES FULL OF FUN*** 😉

keyses2

I’ve put these on my old Cannondale commuter

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/big-apple-tyre-26-x-215-creme-reflex-wired-2837-p.asp

They are quite chunky but are slicks so roll quick and are more comfortable than narrow slicks.

sunshine1
    Free Member

I love the idea of having anti-puncture tyres (good idea!) My brand new tyres are about 2″ wide (5cm)(mountainbike) They are also quite grippie but still managed to slip into the tramline :/ bad luck I guess. Cheers.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘FB ..’ is closed to new replies.