Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • FB pics with words & political issues = nonsense
  • jekkyl

So many people on my fb, intelligent people who you think should know better constantly share pics with words on, completely unsubstantiated nonsense about David Cameron or Boris or trump, from like Jihaddi Johns day off and other various conspiracy theorists. There’s never any sauce and this rubbish just gets shared all over. You can’t just pick random images because they support your point of view, such nonsense. Some of them have whole rafts of ‘information’ about activities of people over a picture of them looking goofy, no source listed, completely unsubstantiated.
    Morons!

allan23
    Free Member

I found blocking the pages helps. I still see the more rational stuff that people post.

I think the man is a prime knob, but even I can’t believe David Cameron did half the things these nutjobs claim. It would take a level of competence to be that deliberately evil.

My suspicion of Westminster is the same as any workplace I’ve been in and that’s that 80% of what happens involves winging it as no one really knows.

jimmy

nemesis
    Free Member

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

tomhoward

growinglad
    Free Member

So people shouldn’t discuss or post things that they may agree with?
    Morons.

Everybody, go back to your boxes and ignore anything that is going on…carry on proles.

kudos100
    Free Member

The internet and facebook are gradually making people dumber. Rather than using the web to read up on and cross reference information, they are posting stupid pictures with some sensationalist rubbish on them.

I know a guy who I used to ride with quite a bit, intelligent, reasonably well read. I’ve had to block him as he keeps spamming this kind of crap about David Cameron and the Tories.

Now I despise the Tories and their dead pig shagging leader, but I cannot stand to be subjected to this level of nonsense. Left wing, right wing, it makes no difference to me.

The worrying thing is, people seem to take these kind of posts as fact. It’s the Simpsons pitch fork mentality.

If you can’t be bothered to read a 5 minute article, don’t bother posting anything at all.

Drac

Do you have any proof this is happening and what are you sharing it with us?

jekkyl

edit: no point.

andytherocketeer

all my seemingly intelligent friends in real life are ultra communist or ultra fascist rasicts on facebook.

most people hit share without even thinking about it.

racist, real, fake, scambait, if it’s on the internet, it must be true so like/share!

yunki
    Free Member

I like facebook.. it’s a clever system that lets YOU CHOOSE who you interact with..

If you’re getting crap on your news feed it’s because YOU are too dumb to pick intelligent friends

munrobiker
    Free Member

This has been doing the rounds on my facebook lately. It’s a political, reasonable picture with words in with no source. I can’t see how you can disagree with it.

jimjam
    Free Member

growinglad
    Morons.

Everybody, go back to your boxes and ignore anything that is going on…carry on proles.

So, just to be clear here….someone on Facebook shares a video which purports to show some guy getting beaten by a much bigger guy, apparently for setting fire to a puppy farm (I’m not actually making this up).

However the video is actually a notorious (and completely genuine) video from Russia where the much bigger man is brutally beating the smaller man for being gay.

This is fine?

yunki

I like facebook.. it’s a clever system that lets YOU CHOOSE who you interact with..

If you’re getting crap on your news feed it’s because YOU are too dumb to pick intelligent friends

Oooh, check out the big brain on this guy. Somewhat ironic that you chose to be on here interacting with anyone, even people who haven’t passed your Facebook IQ testing procedure.

And fwiw there are plenty of reasonably intelligent people who post crap on Facebook, they are typically 40 something’s who are completely new to social media and dipping their toes thanks to smart phones.

dragon
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this, it frigging awful. I’m friends with a chap I worked with, really clever guy but since the EU referendum started every couple of days he posts a ‘Stay In’ post. I’m sure in his case they are well researched but I just don’t care, it is worse than cute baby pics and cats.

Facebook even promotes political stories at me, so it’s not just friends I pick.

If it carries on like it is at present, then I think my days on Facebook are numbered.

kudos100
    Free Member

That’s the problem Yunki, intelligent people who you would think wouldn’t go near this kind of stuff are posting it regularly.

I’ve blocked anyone who posts up right wing nonsense, a long time ago. When it comes from people who actually read grown up newspapers and books, it’s a bit more concerning.

growinglad
    Free Member

It’s information…some of it true, some of it not.

I receive lots of things that I don’t agree with and I’m pretty sure aren’t true. I will maybe research some of them if I think they may be of interest to see if it’s rubbish or true…if I’m bored….I may learn something

They’ll be other stuff that I’m pretty sure is true and of interest, I research, learn something new and gain a bit of knowledge.

I think social media has led to civilization being able to share thoughts and ideas very quickly…I think the good out weighs the bad.

And lets face it….it’s pretty similar to this place….although thankfully here I don’t have to see pictures of your kids on their first day of school 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm, I remember a BBC article criticising this sort of thing when a pic had been widely shared showing an empty parliament during a debate of benefits and a full one debating MP’s pay, which were apparently unsubstantiated.

The pictures had been taken from the relevant articles on the BBC website! How silly of people assuming those pictures were representative of the debates described.

Anyway, if someone does post a load of rubbish I tend to be of the opinion it’s best to call them out on it rather than block them. If they block me for it I don’t really care.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Facebook even promotes political stories at me, so it’s not just friends I pick.

I think Facebook chooses what to promote according to your friends’ likes as well as what your own.

yunki
    Free Member

Northwind

I do like these though:

Cougar

The internet and facebook are gradually making people dumber.

I’m not sure it is. I think plenty were dumb to start with and were just good at hiding it. Facebook just puts them in plain view, which I’m not convinced is a bad thing. It’s the 21st Century version of “here’s your sign.”

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjelRDKHUk[/video]

MrsToast
    Free Member

Could be worse, could be a random quote over a picture of a Minion…

kimbers

Oh Jesus, the **** Minion posts drive me crazy

jekkyl

yeah, minions can’t even talk and yet they come out with all this sentimental guff.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I shared one the other day. It was a photo of Cameron holding a card which read, ‘please share if you’d love to kick me square in the balls’
    In fact I think I shared it 15 times.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m not sure it is. I think plenty were dumb to start with and were just good at hiding it. Facebook just puts them in plain view, which I’m not convinced is a bad thing. It’s the 21st Century version of “here’s your sign.”

It could be partly this. I do think that they way information is presented for the click-bait generation is detrimental.

The Facebook ‘like’ button doesn’t encourage people to write anything. Much easier to click a button. I know many people who haven’t read a book, or a decent length article for that matter, in years.

Also, journalism has taken a nosedive. I rarely read things in the paper that are any good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/humans-have-shorter-attention-span-than-goldfish-thanks-to-smart/

The clickbait at the bottom is pretty bad for a broadsheet newspaper. I am guilty of some of the above though, and am a self confessed internet junkie.

Drac

You need one of these.

slowoldman

That’s not the issue. It’s people posting bollocks because they wish it was true.

thomthumb
    Free Member

choose your friends better.

konabunny
    Free Member

7/10 rant. A good effort and some moments of incomprehensibility, but needs more swearing and capitals

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind

Coincidentally or maybe not, this just appeared in my facebook

I do like a motivational poster though, I had this up in my last office in the bank for about 2 years before anyone noticed.

And also one that we were given by some “positive mental attitude” dingbat that gave us a course in how not to be miserable at work even though the place is run by sociopaths.

But I don’t think she meant it how we took it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘FB pics with words & political issues = nonsense’ is closed to new replies.