Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Fawlty Towers
  • thols2

how many of these reboots haven’t been absolutely painfully bad?

Perry Mason was pretty good. The new Quantum Leap is pretty much the same as I remember the old one.

MoreCashThanDash

Like all sitcoms it was hit and miss at the time, and some of it hasn’t dated well. They knew when to quit while they were ahead. (Stone the unbeliever!)

I’d be surprised if this proves worthwhile.

IdleJon

It’s meant to be a current, old-aged version of Fawlty dealing with the modern world, not a straight reboot. And if you look at it that way, taking characters from an earlier programme, there are several similar sitcoms that worked. Frasier stands out as being obvious. Also, Rob Reiner is involved, albeit as executive producer.

But, I’m not expecting much. 😀

TiRed

Is Cleese having another marital breakdown? That’s what made the writing so edgy in the first. They knew when to stop.

My best friend “retired” from corporate life to run a guest home in Torquay. He could offer up the premises. Not for me, I have to say.

ernielynch

Some sitcoms on the telly would be nice. Why has the whole genre appeared to have relied on Not Going Out and Mrs Brown’s Boys in recent years?

Father Ted, Black Adder, and Only Fools and Horses,  are becoming an ever more distant memories.

Some quality double acts  would be nice too.

IdleJon

Nowadays though, you have loads of shows that are about middle aged or old men having their crisis or breakdown,

Which shows are these? (I have 4 women in my house so may have missed something here in the Ice Dancing on Love Island after a 1st Date Wedding mix.)

thols2

Only Murders in the Building is a pretty good comedy-drama with Steve Martin and Martin Short.

desperatebicycle

but how many of these reboots haven’t been absolutely painfully bad?

Which ones? I’m not aware of any

PrinceJohn

This will very likely be a complete car crash. Rob Reiner’s involvement does intrigue tho.

PrinceJohn

Some sitcoms on the telly would be nice. Why has the whole genre appeared to have relied on Not Going Out and Mrs Brown’s Boys in recent years?

You’ve obviously missed the Good Place, Ghosts, This Country etc…

peekay

It’s meant to be a current, old-aged version of Fawlty dealing with the modern world, not a straight reboot.

So, it will be like the new Top Gun film?

DickBarton

Can only assume Cleese is running short on money again…that seems to be his reason for doing tv stuff – can’t be bothered with all this TV stuff so I’ll stay away from it and then an offer is made and he is suddenly all for it (probably like most folk, but the sums of money are likely to be much more here).

A new Quantum Leap – I hope they make reference to the previous attempt at this rather than pretending it never happened – reading the bio bit on IMDB it is set 30 years after the original – so they didn’t learn anything, or did they? Probably not if they’ve managed to get someone lost in time again.

desperatebicycle

There have been some new (non US!) sitcoms, but shortlived and almost hidden away – I loved This Way Up (kinda serious), Frank of Ireland, Newark Newark and The Walshes. Ghosts is nice, but not really hilarious, just amusing.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just been thinking on this and remembered an article I read many years ago when Cleese (on announcing he was going to do a sitcom about a hotel owner in Torquay) was told it was a dreadful idea that would never work. Maybe, just maybe, he can pull it off again?

timmys

that seems to be his reason for doing tv stuff

Keep up, the wokerati won’t let him get on TV apparently.

trailmonkey

I think the format has changed a bit, so now there are more comedy dramas like Inbetweeners or Spoof docu’s like The Office, People Just do Nothing, This Country. Still some funny TV out there. Ghosts was quite sitcom, I liked that a lot.

crazy-legs

Some sitcoms on the telly would be nice.

Put Gold on, it’s just an unending wall of Dad’s Army and Vicar of Dibley interspersed with occasional Keeping Up Appearances and One Foot In The Grave…

I never really liked Fawlty Towers, it was always too OTT and stereotyped, even back then.

Blackadder was genius – there’s long been talk of rebooting that with the original cast (or some of them anyway) but thankfully they’ve left well alone.

blackhat
    Free Member

The original 12 episodes stand up to scrutiny as very well crafted examples of the genre for the period of original production.  But that is where the story should end; Cleese has been in steady decline since and it is difficult to envisage modern attempts improving on the legacy.

ernielynch

“Put Gold on”

Yeah I get that you can see 30-40 year old sitcoms repeatedly.

I should have been more specific……. Some up-to-date fresh sitcoms on the telly would be nice.

Part of the appeal of the old sitcoms which enjoyed huge viewing figures was that they were new and unpredictable. In the case of Only Fools and Horses, for example, they followed a vague storyline which added to their appeal.

Father Ted being a racist will still make me laugh 25 years later but not as much as it did the first time I saw it.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Good to read the comedy experts of Singletrack who think they know better than Cleese, have taken time off from being health experts, legal eagles and generally being holier than thou and have already written this off. Phew, saved myself from the inevitable misery.

ernielynch

If you are not interested in opinions and in an exchange of veiws why do you log on to a forum?

wbo
    Free Member

I do it to confuse myself, as a middle aged man, struggling to navigate a rapidly changing world with social skills and attitudes from the 1970’s.

I am John Cleese and I claim my £10

##edited for spelling

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Where did I state I wasn’t interested?

I think its fascinating that some have already written it off without knowing hardly anything about it.

IdleJon

It’s meant to be a current, old-aged version of Fawlty dealing with the modern world, not a straight reboot.

So, it will be like the new Top Gun film?

Or Top Gear with Clarkson et al?

DrJ

Keep up, the wokerati won’t let him get on TV apparently.

It’s true! He said so! On TV….

finbar
    Free Member

Does Cobra Kai count? Loved that.

crazy-legs

I think its fascinating that some have already written it off without knowing hardly anything about it.

Not sure people have written it off as such – just expressed (valid) concerns that John Cleese as been drifting further to a right wing populism and pro-Brexit standpoint alongside making various accusations of cancel culture – what right wingers like to call it when no-one finds them funny any more and doesn’t book them for any work.

Kind of like how Neil Oliver wasn’t bad in the early days of Coast but is now just a conspiracy theory mouthpiece and total **** on GB News. In fact Cleese himself is supposed to be hosting a slot on GB News later this year.

mattyfez

Hotel guests to include Clarkson, Piers Morgan, Katie Hopkins, Prince Andrew and Kevin Spacey. Lizz Truss as the Maid and Anne Widdecom as the Wife.

tjagain

the original was weak and dated even in its day relying on casual racial sterotyping and sexism for “jokes”  It was cruel humour.   Cleese has become unbearably right wing as he has aged.

The mix of the two does not give rise to hope for good TV

eddiebaby
    Free Member

the original was weak and dated even in its day.

Bollox.

IMHO obviously

tjagain

sorry – should have had an IMO on my post 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

🙂

andylc
    Free Member

Even if he hadn’t turned into a bit of a dick the guy is 83 years old now so the chances of him making us laugh seem pretty slim. If he tries to attack his car again he’ll probably snap.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well if he’s got six million followers he’s obviously doing something right.

Twatty Owls MK2 will be shite, or may absolutely hilarious in an unintended way…

trailmonkey

the original was weak and dated even in its day relying on casual racial sterotyping and sexism for “jokes”

far from being dated in its day, I’d say it was at least of its day if not even ahead of its time.

as for racial stereotyping, you’re just talking nonsense. I’m totally unaware of Spanish people being characterised as bumbling, inept and a bit dim. Manuel just happened to be a person with those traits that was born in Spain. Nothing wrong with that, you seem to be the one projecting the inferred racism. The black doctor wasn’t portrayed in anyway stereotypically and the Germans were portrayed as perfectly ordinary people trying to cope with a bit of a nutcase. The Irish builders weren’t portrayed as thick  as per the 70s English stereotyping.

The closest thing I can see as stereotypical were the upper class gin soaked Major and the neurotic, reactionary middle class, middle aged Englishman.

tjagain

Thats your opinion.  Mine differs.  I remember looking forward to it and finding it utterly cringeworthy using cheap stereotypes to laugh at people not with them.   Just having the builders as Irish is a stereotype and the handling of the Manual character was offensive and yes – a cheap stereotype.  Never heard of “spanish practices”?

I found the humour cruel – laughing at people.  I loathe that

It was certainly very dated when it came out.  No doubt at all in my mind.  It looked and felt like it was a decade earlier

Edit – Why was Manual spanish if not to laugh at furriners?

Edukator
    Free Member

That tit T*te also has 6 million followers, Jambourgie. I’ll complete your offensive racial sterotyping of the males with the sexist sterotying of the females, TJ. And that piped laughter, awful.

dudeofdoom

TBH didn’t Manuel speak Catalan rather than Spanish ,him coming from Barcelona?

imnotverygood

the Manual character was offensive and yes – a cheap stereotype. Never heard of “spanish practices”?

The terms Spanish practice or old Spanish customs are British expressions that refer to irregular or restrictive practices in workers’ interests. Typically, these are arrangements that have been negotiated in the past between employers and unions.

In what way does the Manuel character relate to Spanish practices?

jambourgie
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

That tit T*te also has 6 million followers, Jambourgie. I’ll complete your offensive racial sterotyping of the males with the sexist sterotying of the females, TJ. And that piped laughter, awful.

</div>

What’s your point? Is AT a comedian? I thought he was a kind hustle philosophy grifter? Must be pretty successful at it if he’s got six million followers…

Six million followers suggests to me a lot of people find him funny. So, as a comedian, he’s doing something right.

But because you don’t like it they’re invalid. Is that it?

What about… hmm… Sir Paul McCartney, he’s probably got six million followers too. Does that suggest he’s a successful musician?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.