Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Favourite trail beer?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Advertising dressed up as regular post, yawn.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Golden, bitter or pale pint from pump. But old school, ie before it went ‘crafty’. Pub stop should see you riding faster not slower, otherwise doing it wrong. 1 x pint and off. Tend to try and find something straw-coloured, cool and refreshing around 3.6

Enville
    Worcesteshire Way
    Bathams Best
    Black Pear
    HPA

Any green hop beer in the season I’ll jump on, not really fussy, but something with Citra hops usually a winner.

Trail tins? No ta. Will stick with the water bottle and a treat at the pub if it pops up, not fussed if mid-ride or post-ride*

Note: Post-ride can be dangerous for the wallet, liable to extend to a session and then be demotivating for the ride home where the bike will miss a clean.

*Can only remember 2 x rides in 2019 where had a pint. Both in Bewdley on a Wyre loop. Is it that time of life already? When young it’d be riding and drinking every weekend, rain or shine, 30” waist and no bike lights.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Charliedontsurf but he does astroturf

scruff
    Free Member

Can only remember 2 x rides in 2019 where had a pint. Both in Bewdley on a Wyre loop. Is it that time of life already? When young it’d be riding and drinking every weekend, rain or shine, 30” waist and no bike lights

I can only remember 2 x rides in 2019 where we didnt have a pint.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£18 for 6, you’re taking the piss right?

Pretty much every shop has 3 for a fiver or 4 for £6. Lidl and Aldi are about £1.50 a can….

Yea…….

But…….

The stuff in lidl / Aldi is really brewed down to a price point. It’s not a good comparison to anything brewed in smaller batches, or using specific or rarer hops rather than just another generically hoppy IPA.

The 4 for £6 offers are a loss leader. £18 is probably about the cost of breing 6 cans of beer, paying duty, putting it in a box and shipping it to you. The supermarkets are frequently cheaper than cash and carry, sometimes cheaper than buying it by the barrel!

It’s like moaning that a slice of cake costs £2.50, when you can get two packets of Jammy Dodgers BOGOF in for 50p in ASDA.

But then I once paid £18 for a 750ml bottle of beer in a shop. It was good, so good I e-mailed the brewer in the states to get the recipe and brewed a batch of it!

kayla1
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I learned that The Newcastle Brewing Company’s Satsuma IPA (6%) is not a good way to hydrate and it’s not even one of your five a day either.

ads678

Tinas – that’s all well and good but they’re selling it as beer for a mid ride drink which I assume would need to be transported in a back pack. I really can’t see it being at optimal drinking state when it gets opened….

If I want a decent beer mid ride I’ll stop at a pub. If I want a can that has had the shit shaken out of it I’m certainly not paying £18 for 6 of them + £8 delivery, when I could get something that’s reasonable to the average man in any supermarket.

There’s probably a reason people stop at a cafe for cake rather than carrying it out on the trails…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I want a decent beer mid ride I’ll stop at a pub. If I want a can that has had the shit shaken out of it I’m certainly not paying £18 for 6 of them + £8 delivery, when I could get something that’s reasonable to the average man in any supermarket.

There’s probably a reason people stop at a cafe for cake rather than carrying it out on the trails…

I agree, I probably wouldn’t pay for it to be delivered at that price either. My point was that £3/can is probably a lot closer to what it actually costs to brew some beer and make a profit, and comparable to what shops selling craft beer sell a can for. Rather than 4 for £6 Doombar brewed on an industrial scale and sold at a loss to get you through the door to buy your washing powder and bread in Sainsburys.

ton

I don’t get canned beer. I don’t like fizzy beer. and I know a lot of the canned beers are not fizzy like larger but the ones I have tried are still a bit carbonated.

teenrat

Got to be Bradfield brewery’s ‘Peatys Trail Ale’

at £2.50 a pint I might add!

sc-xc

The 4 for £6 offers are a loss leader. £18 is probably about the cost of breing 6 cans of beer, paying duty, putting it in a box and shipping it to you. The supermarkets are frequently cheaper than cash and carry, sometimes cheaper than buying it by the barrel!

So the £8 post and packing they have added is them fleecing us?

Good to know.

bearnecessities

They’re obviously not fleecing anyone, and I’m a fully paid-up member of the  ‘pay for quality/locally produced’ club.

However £4 for 330ml can of beer is off the chart – but if that’s what it costs, with a bit of a profit chucked in, then I have sympathy for what must be a tough market – but there must be better ways to make money if those are the margins involved.

I like much of what Hebtroco produce, but it’s just on the the wrong end of spendy for me- if STW could sell some of their clothing, at a discount, I’d be interested – is that an avenue?

Just my idle musings 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Favourite trail beer?’ is closed to new replies.