Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Favourite museum
  • Harry_the_Spider

Mrs Spider has bought an item of furniture that I need to pick up on Saturday, so I’ve got a 120 mile drive to Solihull for my sins, however on the way back I’m having a few hours on my own in my favourite museum. RAF Cosford.
    Let’s have a list of what’s good and bad.

Good
    RAF Cosford
    NRM York
    Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum – Shambolic, but charming and packed full of stuff

Bad
    MOSI – It is getting a bit knackered

mogrim

Hard to choose between the V&A, Science Museum and the Imperial War.

The Natural History is always a bit of a let down, also showing its age.

andytherocketeer

Bletchley Park and the adjacent Computer Museum

Yak

Good:
    Tangmere
    NRM York
    Natural History and Science Museum, if you can get a quiet time

The kids and I used to love MOSI, but this was a few years ago. Shame to hear it’s gone downhill.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pitt Rivers/Museum of Natural History – Oxford

0T0A1944

I love the building. Just zoom in on the detailing on that roof.

0T0A9690-2-Pano

avdave2

The Vasa Museum in Stockholm. The only place in the world I’ve walked into and been stopped dead in my tracks.

willard

Dammit! I was going to suggest Vasamuseet too! +1 for it then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

V&A
    Wallace Collection
    Met Art in NY

scud
    Free Member

2 that i was very impressed by on recent visit to Cambridge:

– Fitzwilliam
    – Scott Polar Research institute museum.

Also love the little Tank museum near me in Norfolk, they have Guy Martin WW1 recreation, not very big but everyone there is very knowledgeable and clearly loves what they do.

JackHammer

Bovington Tank Museum.

binners

The Imperial War Museum in Salford is an interesting take on what a museum should be, and always has interesting side exhibitions on as well

Not been to IWR Duxford for years. I reckon that’s due a visit again soon

trumpton
    Free Member

I love the science museum in London.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love little random local museums, highlights include;

New Walk – Leicester

The McManus – Dundee

Montrose museum.

chakaping
    Free Member

Kelvingrove in Glasgow for me.

scud
    Free Member

Coming from Portsmouth and going to the seafront for the first time in years last summer, it was the first time i had been to see the Mary Rose since they have stopped spraying the preservative on and they have set up in position and they project moving images on to the hull and decks, it is amazing what they have done with it and the accompanying museum is really well done, especially for someone like me who watched it raised from seabed when i was at school. (i hate how they have turned lots of the old historic dockyard into the usual cinema/shops/ bars though).

lunge

Tate Modern, love it, whatever is on gets your mind working, even if you don’t particularly like it.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ll never forget Ground Zero in New York. It’s a superb place architecturally as well.

40mpg

I second Pitt Rivers at Oxford. Plus the aviation museum at old sarum airfield Salisbury for old-skool museum feel and being able to clamber through and sit in all sorts of bits of aircraft.

Richie_B

Good
    Jodrell Bank (Not strictly a museum but it seems designed to enable to take as much or as little information without being patronising).
    The Thackray Medical Museum in Leeds (The surgery floor is a bit of a let down once you’ve got past the initial icky bit but the rest is good)
    Bliss Hill at Coalbrookdale (As long as you can ignore the lack of pollution, horse shit, and dodgy food)
    The Justice Museum in Nottingham is worth a visit to

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good –

Ufizzi, Florence
    NM of Scotland, Edinburgh
    Kelvingrove, Glasgow

Bad –

Riverside, Glasgow

nickc

Musée d’Orsay

OK it’s mostly painting and sculpture, but there are some fantastic pieces in it, The Origin of the World by Courbet for instance, and the top floor is just amazing, there’s a room that’s just Manet,followed by a Monet, then a Cezanne, and a Rousseau, a Pizarro…and then you turn the corner and you’re in room of Van Gogh. and then here’s a Suerat, and a Matisse

It’s almost too much to take in. I can happily spend a day there.

scuttler

Will just lob this in https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/07/cuts-england-museums-london-cliff-edge and we can weigh up how many of people’s faves are in / out of the capital

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good: UK only

Barbara Hepworth in Wakefield & her StIves workshop (run by Tate)

Henry Moore in Leeds

Anthony Gormley (pretty much anywhere his installations are)

Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield

Design Museum in Kensington

Camera Museum in Holborn

Bad:

Imperial War Museum

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Good – IWM Duxford.

BillMC

Watts gallery (and chapel!), Compton
    Walker, Liverpool
    D’Orsay (‘The wheel of fortune’ Burne-Jones)
    Kelvingrove (great and eclectic, good for families)
    The Newcastle one (?) has a great Holman Hunt
    Pitt-Rivers
    Tate Britain (pre-raph room)
    Manchester Art Gallery (shall be there in about 5 minutes)
    Birmingham Art Gallery
    National Gallery (Van Eyck, Holbein)
    V and A (Grinling Gibbons)

Spud

In the UK: NHM and Science, NRM York, Imperial War North I felt is better than the IW in London. Despite living in Nottingham it’s been a very long time since I’ve done the Justice Museum. Not sure if it’s open to the public but Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh was a great venue for conference drinks.

Overseas, I was very impressed with the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart. Just the building alone was impressive.

sarawak
    Free Member

Musée d’Orsay

Seconded. The higher up you go the more mind blowing it becomes.

There is a small side museum in St Peter’s in Rome. Not the big Vatican Museum. Just a little one tucked away round a corner so most folk miss it. Only a couple of € entry fee. Well worth looking for.

ElShalimo

This one in Zagreb

jam-bo

museum of american war atrocities in ho-chi-minh city was an eye opener.

telegraph museum at porthcurno is worth a look if you are down that way.

sadmadalan

Musée d’Orsay + 1

Every time I go to Paris, I have to visit. Keep finding new parts. The Degas ballerinas are wonderful.

ctk
    Free Member

I just visited South Wales Aviation Museum- its just opened & only has 10 or so planes but it was dead good. All the planes are in varying states of repair and you can touch them, get up close etc.

richmars

The two Ferrari museums, in Maranello and Modena are worth it if you’re in the area. Worth a special trip if you have a car mad son.

globalti
    Free Member

The canal Museum in Amsterdam is pretty interesting if you want to know how the canals evolved and were built.

Harry_the_Spider

I forgot about this one.

Home

Lots of cockpits to go in.

zilog6128

Will just lob this in https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/07/cuts-england-museums-london-cliff-edge and we can weigh up how many of people’s faves are in / out of the capital

Interesting read. Do museums need to be council run i.e. publicly funded, and do they need to be free?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I was going to say how hard it would be to choose between the Bakelite museum in Williton and Barometer World.

Sadly it seems that the Bakelite museum is looking for a new home so Barometer World it is.

Philby

Te Papa – Museum of New Zealand, Wellington
    Cu Chi Tunnels – Vietnam
    Blaenavon World Heritage Site and Big Pit
    Wieliczka Salt Mine near Krakow
    Yorkshire Sculpture Park
    National Railway Museum
    Imperial War Museum especially the Holocaust exhibition

SaxonRider

Good:

Jarrow Hall (formerly Bede’s World) in Newcastle

Bad (or at least it was when I last went):

Imperial War Museum in Salford

EDIT: I should add that, although it has long since become something else, I always wanted to love URBIS in Manchester – the museum of urban life – but man, was that ever a let-down when I took the kids back in 2003 or 04.

SECOND EDIT: I didn’t know what MOSI was until just now. Considering the comments above, I wonder if the GMA just doesn’t know how to create and maintain a decent museum.

TiRed

I’m a bit of a geek so…
    Hunterian museum of the Royal College of Surgeons. Sadly closed until 2021
    Bletchley Park
    Greenwich Royal Observatory

In the US, the National Air and Space Museum will blow you away. Boeing museum in Seattle is also very good. Top Gun in Miramar less so. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is a favourite.

For cars, the Alfa Romeo museum outside Milan is the best I’ve been to. Even Mrs TiRed enjoyd it and she doesn’t like cars!

bowglie

NRM York.  We went earlier this year and spent hours longer than expected in there.  One of the highlights was a tour of the stores with an ‘explainer’.  I thought the tour with explainer thing might be a bit naff, but it was absolutely great.  Other highlight was the short brake van ride behind a steam loco (cue hyper excited kids!) The brake van had a little stove going in there, and it was proper cosy. I really like the child friendly relaxed family vibe in the museum. Proper cooked dinner from the restaurant in there too….eat yer greens🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Favourite museum’ is closed to new replies.