Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Favourite dialect / slang / local words and phrases
  • martinhutch

I’ve got a weird mix of occasional Somerset (my mum), Essex (where I grew up), and northern England where I’ve lived my entire adult life.

the best test of origin is what you call a bread roll – teacake, bap, barm, muffin, bun, cob etc..

Obviously calling a bread roll by default marks me out as a soft southerner.

ThePinkster

“Lug ‘oles” = “Ears”. Learned from my Dad in his finest West Country

“Years” = “Ears”. From my Mid Wales Mum

“Yam yampy yam am” = “I say old chap, you appears to be slightly mentally challenged with that idea”. This came years ago from my Black Country bred sister-in-law

“Spuzzled” = “Crazy”. No idea where the wife picked this one up from but have a feeling it may have come from Walsall area.

ThePinkster

Ooh, just remembered another.

Around the Crewe area they call potato scallops “Smacks”. Never heard that anywhere else, ever.

kennyp
    Free Member

I have an elderly aunt who still says she is “black affronted” meaning she’s embarrassed about something.

Personally I like the Scots word “footer” meaning to fiddle around with something.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The way lots of Valleys people announce their job:

“I’m a plumber, I am!”

Always made me laugh visiting the outlaws in NI, my niece saying something like “I’m going for ice cream…. So I am.” or “I saw a dog….So I did.”

Rona

Personally I like the Scots word “footer” meaning to fiddle around with something.

I like this too – even though I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been told to stop footering with my hair, jumper, … &c.

I also like toty … is that a toty wee mouse running around inside your sofa?

BigJohn

“It says Swiss cheese on the buses but they don’t go there” and “I’m not so green as I’m cabbage looking” are two phrases used by a mate from Donny (Moorends to be precise) on a regular basis. He’s a bit of a swatchel-headed bugger though.

“Eee, I were reet stalled. We were sidin’ all wikend” Apparently means he was bored because they were moving furniture around.

Cougar

the best test of origin is what you call a bread roll – teacake, bap, barm, muffin, bun, cob etc..

“Barm” is very much a Preston-ism. I live like 12 miles away and I’d never heard the term until I was a student there. There was a shop called Mama’s Wonderbarms which sold breakfast barms – basically a full English in a barm – that were so big you could buy half of one.

duncancallum

Oh my favourite

Hummel doddies fingerless mittens

maccruiskeen

I do enjoy the way scots ( and presumably others) can use the sweary word for ” to procreate” that we cannot use on here as many different parts of speech verb, noun, adjective etc

abso’to procreate’inglutely.

In his recent tv series Frankie Boyle reckoned in Scotland the word ‘***ing’ is used to warn the listener that theres a noun approaching.

montylikesbeer

One from Rossendale is Oin (oyne) which means to bother ( pester or “mither”) someone or be bothered by someone

I’ve not heard it be used anywhere else and is a cracker

roger_mellie

Not from these (UK) shores, but shonky is a fav of mine.    dishonest, unreliable, or illegal, especially in a devious way.

breadcrumb

Some local favourites of mine:

Lowp – jump
    Cowie – thing/thingy
    Skrow – mess
    Divn’t – don’t
    Jav – Dave

Loads here, you can seat up for your next Lakes visit 😉

https://www.cumbriandictionary.co.uk/

smiffy

its a popty ping in my house!

redmex
    Free Member

To cowp your first car means you were driving way above your ability thinking you were the late Colin McRae
    Yelly
    Skale
    Wisnae me an adeken

scud
    Free Member

Not a native but married a Norfolk girl and couldn’t keep her away…

There are a number of homemade signs on a road where i travel to work saying:

“slow yerr down bor” – excuse me my good man you should slow down..

“cor blast yar argoin tew farst” – blimey, you’re going to fast..

“watch yar speed ma ole booty” – please watch your speed..

There are even proper road signs that say “drive you steady”

Then there are some great words like “bishey barney bee” for a ladybird or if some is not too attractive “shes a brahmer!”

whytetrash

Cwtch…. is far more than a cuddle! It’s a cupboard under the stairs, outside storage, an invitation to move closer if you’re short on room “cwtch up” plimsolls are daps… woodlice granny greys… in gogland I like twmfat…literally a funnel but used if someones a bit dopey😉

james-rennie

The wife from Fife says “Chittering” to mean cold & shivering which seems peculiar to her.
    She also uses the more common ones mentioned earlier like Dreich (cold), Baffies (slippers OR trainers), wee radge (bothersome teenager), etc

Rona

The wife from Fife says “Chittering” to mean cold & shivering which seems peculiar to her.

I say chittering too – I’m not from Fife, but from Scotland.

johnx2
    Free Member

You’re not Fay Fife?
    null

redmex
    Free Member

Another Fifey word probably used all over Scotland, if one was to get a fright from behind in the dark then they may “keech” or keich themselves
    Not a pleasant outcome

tjagain

“bolt ya rocket” – go away you fool

Shonky is one I use and hear used a lot. We even had a favourite bridge in Glen Feshie that was well known as “shonky bridge”

oldtennisshoes

Shoogly peg – job security as a contractor 🤣

kayak23

I’ve always loved a bit of Jamaican Creole or Patois and between select friends will sometimes use a phrase or two here and there.

I seem to often say ‘wa gwan’ to friends for example or ‘wa gwan sistren’ to my girlfriend. It’s tongue in cheek of course but also a genuine love of the flow and casual, easy feeling nature of the dialect…and also, I may be a bit of a knobber 😅

I love listening to it. It’s like poetry to me and goes along with my love of Jamaican music.

This is a pretty interesting video on its origins and evolution.

BillMC

‘Getting off at Redfern’ aka the act of coitus interruptus
    (Redfern is the last stop before Sydney Central)

tjagain

We have ” getting off at Haymarket” for exactly the same thing

Rona

The Tale o the Wee Mowdie

There’s a PDF glossary on this page to help with translation – humorous and educational!

nakedrider
    Free Member

If someone is quite cross (or you just want to take the mick cos they’re getting all stressy) you say “You’ve got a right cobb on”.

No idea where it comes from but been saying/hearing it for years.

Cougar

‘Getting off at Redfern’ aka the act of coitus interruptus

I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to decipher exactly what specific sexual deviance this refers to, but you’ve reminded me of an “M32” which is the fastest way of coming into the Bristol area.

Cougar

“You’ve got a right cobb on”.

Cob on is (was) common here too, it’s the sort of thing my gran would have said.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to decipher exactly what specific sexual deviance this refers to

Is that what STW stands for?

Cougar

🤣 Well played. And, yes.

theotherjonv

Getting off at Redfern

In a similar vein (fnarr) – approaching Billy Mill; it’s the last roundabout on the coast road, if you go past Billy Mill you’re going all the way to the coast. AKA vinegar strokes.

redmex
    Free Member

Anyone who wears trainers and socks unchanged for many days their feet are either boggin or bealin take your pick
    Many females suffer from this but disagree I’m only joking

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Favourite dialect / slang / local words and phrases’ is closed to new replies.