Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Favourite dialect / slang / local words and phrases
  • bob_summers

Yon yow’s liggin kessin!

It’s a viking remnant

A lot of that in Cumbrian. Nana used to moan about t’mowdywaffs ont’ lawn. Moldywarp old English, Muldvarp Danish. Also used to tell us to gi’owwer laikin (stop messing about) – leik (hence English verb to lark?) in Nyorsk.

sweepy
    Free Member

Gutees was a word used for gym shoes when I was at Primary School

We always called them daps

TiRed

Ansome

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Well, arl gu t’Anne!

My Gran used to say this as a mild exclamation of surprise. The nearest translation I could fathom was ‘Well, I’ll go to Anne!’.

Victorian/Edwardian or earlier as it faded out with my parent’s generation but my Great Gran used it a lot.

And then the other soid o’the cut (Wordsley, ayet) if yow wuz a bit saft loike, yerd gerrem sayin:

‘Yam yampy ay yer!?’

iainc

Gutties reminds me of what we called our gym shoes, sannies.. Now there’s a story in there about a well kent weegie stw writer…

Ambrose

On the wonk. Not level or straight.

binners

Mrs Binners, being from Wigan, just used a classic this afternoon which left a couple of people looking baffled

Keckin’ oo’er

Translation:

Falling over

cheburashka
    Free Member

Gertcha.

Rona

One I can’t spell tho and no one has been able to help me. a fool or numpty – its pronounced like “tube” but how is it spelled? Tube? choob?

I don’t know the answer to this. If I had to guess, I’d go with choob … the ch sound in choob seems slightly harsher and more appropriate (to my ear anyway) than the ty sound in tube … somehow seems a bit refined for ‘gonnae no dae that, ya choob.’

Please feel free to pay me no mind – I’m just idly speculating. I’m sure someone else will be along soon with the real answer. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Twurnt. If it twurt there your gut would fall out.

anagallis_arvensis

singlespeedstu

Malvern.
    Are your relatives from Brierly Bonk or Cradley Bonk?
    Dow cum round eya with all yowr binin and bayin.

Its a bit black over Bills mothers.
    It’s going to rain.

mucker

@thepurist cahootchy is rubber.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lugs (ears) is one I rarely hear now.

‘Yel get a cuff roon yer lug’ was a common shout when I was being a wee shite.

thelawman

@anagallis_arvensis
    That was bostin’ (top quality, my good man)

redmex
    Free Member

Along with lugs you have to like oxters as a word

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Are your relatives from Brierly Bonk or Cradley Bonk?

Gerroffit ull ya! Them pash up thettaway 🤣 Troi up frum the Bonk, goo throo Colley Gaerte un owver Wullascott un yow’ll be clowse. Me wun antie lives in Cradley Bonk now thow. Er moved up in the werld by movin dowun.

👍🏼

Me dad remembers the mud ‘ouses on The Lye Waste. They looked dowun on themuz lived theya.

“Slums” of the Black Country: Waste Bank, Lye

cashback

As a Cornishman, dreckly means I ll get there at some point. They always were abit more punctual on the wrong side of the tamar.

theotherjonv

my Dad, from West Sussex, uses ‘scasing’ which means just in case.

So if you go out and it looks like rain, best take an umbrella scasing.

My mum’s side of the family, from Wallsend in Newcastle…… well, where to start!

tomparkin

My Mrs is from a Scots/Irish family and is hence rich in interesting phrases.

Some good ‘uns:

Hoyle = mess, as in “Get up them stairs and tidy your room, it’s a hoyle!”

“Fools and bairns shouldnae see things half-done” = an admonishment not to stick your nose in commenting when I’m mid way though a job.

“It wasnae from the grass she licked it” = effectively “like father, like son”

Lots of good dialect from my time living in the north east too, but my favourite is probably just “Eeeee!” which is a kind of multi-purpose exclamation which can mean just about whatever you like depending on how you say it and what facial expression you use it with.

tjagain

I do enjoy the way scots ( and presumably others) can use the sweary word for ” to procreate” that we cannot use on here as many different parts of speech verb, noun, adjective etc

As in ( awaits bannhammer) that effing effer is effed. eff it

tjagain

Oh and I heard someone using “jings” the other day – not even ironically.

CountZero

I’ve never understood how a cheeselog is a woodlouse in Reading.

They’re chuckypigs round here, or they were when I was a kid, it’s what my mum called them. Doubt many do now.
    Re. the Welsh terms, I’ll ask my g/f, she’s speaks Welsh, she’s been trying to teach me for the last three years, with little success. 🤪

We always called them daps

Same here – North Wiltshire.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

‘Ecky thump.

Blummin ummer.

Rona

I often says jings (without irony) … probably picked it up from Oor Wullie in my early years and it’s never left. Can’t say I know anyone else who uses it though.

maccruiskeen

Round here I quiet like ‘mind’ used to mean ‘remember’

Two old guys were getting off the train and the recorded announcement tells everyone to ‘Mind the gap’

“Mind the gap?”

“Yeah I mind the gap, that was a good gap that one”

“Gads” as an exclamation, usually of disgust, and ‘gadsy’ as a an adjective. “I picked out all the gadsy bits and put them in the food bin”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Some more BC epithets:

‘Yowum loik a fart in a colindah!’

(‘You’re like a fart in a colander’ – ie ‘you are ineffective’)

‘Yowum loik a fairy on a gob o’lard’

(‘You are clumsy’)

‘Stap yer ivverin’ n’ ovverin’, ull’yer?’

(‘Would you stop hovering around?’)

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Few Cornish ones I enjoy, I got 2 books of Cornish slang as secret Santa presents one year.

Tuss! – like calling someone a ****.
    Yew! – Hello
    Two Scats Behind – someone who is rather slow, Two Scats can also be a nickname…. also use Cakey, soft in the head…
    Costymuchdida? – How much was it?
    Ellydoinov!? – What the hell are you doing!?
    Waseecall – When your telling a story and forget someones name, “you know Wasecall”

There is too many to list, I enjoy them all, just don’t get to use them any more 🙁 Sometimes with my parents but spending most the time with my grandparents I got used to speaking it.

scandal42
    Free Member

The wooden hill – stairs

Cougar

Tube? choob?

“Tube” is Australian slang isn’t it?

One of my favs is “Bawheid”

Author Christopher Brookmyre (who I think is Glaswegian) once came up with “Alakazmmy, bawheid rammy.”

I’ve heard “side up” or “side away” elsewhere

Aye. Side away is what one does to the table after dinner.

Again, from the correct side of the Pennines:
    Shape – roughly, to organise oneself.
    ‘Shape yerself’.

“Shape thissen.”

“When one is participating in accurate precision work and an object may need to be moved a bawhair, translated just a tiny bit or a smidge”

I believe what you’re describing here is a “gnat’s cock.”

“Lugs (ears) is one I rarely hear now.”

Nah then then, tha wantsta wesh thi lug oils eht.

Cougar

The wooden hill

… to Bedfordshire.

tjagain

I believe what you’re describing here is a “gnat’s cock.”

Bawhair is a bit less than a gnats cock which in turn is a bit less than a smidgeon

Cougar
    tjagain

“Tube” is Australian slang isn’t it?

Common usage in Scotland and has been since i were a kid – and that ain’t yesterday

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bawhair is a bit less than a gnats cock which in turn is a bit less than a smidgeon

Can be subdivided further to an Ants bawhair for extreme precision work.

gifferkev

Another Southwest one I always liked is Dimpsy.
    Blimey, in the dictionary…
    denoting the soft or dim light characteristic of twilight or dusk.
    “the dimpsy light of early evening”

nobbingsford

Hadaway (*and shite) *optional
    = Get lost / no way

Ahad
    = on fire

Hoy
    = throw / chuck

reluctantjumper

The way lots of Valleys people announce their job:

“I’m a plumber, I am!”

Always add the extra on the end, almost like they’re reminding themselves they have a job and always said with a bit of excitement at the end. I know it’s just a habit from when it was said in Welsh, where the sentence ‘I am a plumber’ literally translates as ‘Plumber I am’ but every time I hear an example I cannot help but think how simple the person saying it sounds.

Especially funny when you hear it said a long way from home!

brakestoomuch

I was once told by a friend of my nan’s that I “favoured her.” I was horrified as I thought it meant I fancied her, but it turned out, it meant I looked like her.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Favourite dialect / slang / local words and phrases’ is closed to new replies.