Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Favourite comics
  • SaxonRider

I was a pretty big comic book geek, and even today one of my good friends laughs at how much I can remember from the most obscure Marvel offering.

My main introduction to the various groups like the X-Men, the Avengers, and the Defenders was through Marvel’s Secret Wars:

In the meantime, I suddenly remembered a series I loved but lost and that had nothing to do with superheroes. It was called ‘Black Dragon’:

Anyone remember it?

What were your favourites?

MoreCashThanDash

Warlord.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Beano

DING

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Dandy.

Quality pies.

Northwind

Commando, when I was a kid.

These days my brother passes me graphic novels he thinks I’ll like, new or old stuff… just wading my way through nikolai dante which I read a wee bit of first time round, then there’s some ancient zenith… Might have to reread Preacher so I can disapprove of the TV series harder.

mrsfry
    Free Member

2000AD
    Tales from the crypt
    MAD
    Tales of horror

drlex
    Free Member

Still reading 2000AD.
    current favourites – Chew, BPRD/Hellboy, Atomic Robo.

Clobber
    Free Member

My favourite was Lobo, worth checking out, it would still be funny…

Probably…

chubstr
    Free Member

I loved The Punisher, just been browsing some of the comics on Amazon today.

2000ad was always good

but then I got to reminising about these two from ym school days:

metalheart
    Free Member

Love & Rockets,
    Hate (and whatever it’s predecessor was that Buddy grew out of)
    Eightball
    Yummy Fur.

Back in the eighties I think.

Further back, Sparky & Corr.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

Robert crumb also does some brilliant stuff

bazwadah
    Free Member

not just for the artwork but also the humour… where else do you get a robot assassin that thinks he’s Ginger Rogers?

yossarian
    Free Member

a mate of mine illustrates for BPRD/Hellboy. His work is painstaking and magnificent.

kimbers

Yossarian I’m in awe, love the Hellboy comics artwork

When I was younger I religiously bought the Transformers comics as well as Spidey, later 2000AD

codybrennan
    Free Member

Never seen “The Black Dragon”, but that artwork looks like the excellent John Bolton. Funny how you can spot certain styles straight away.

yunki
    Free Member

Freak brothers when I was younger and being an 80s graffiti writer it was obviously the work of Vaughn Bode by the time I hit my early teens

classic stuff

Very sad that he died the year after I was born

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Victor
    Tupper, tough of the track

codybrennan
    Free Member

I might have mentioned this before, but an old pal of mine is now a huge big-shot in comics, and away back when he was getting set up he did some stuff for 2000AD.

For reasons that now escape me, he named a character in the strip he was doing after me (my real name, I mean), and so my obscure claim to fame is that I had my own character in 2000AD for 8 or so issues in 1990/91.

He’s a cool guy 🙂

slowoldman

senorj

MAD used to make me laugh….
    and was a fully paid up member of the Dennis The Menace fanclub.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Another 2000ad fan here mainly rogue trooper, nemesis and abc warriors, started the buying back issues when I hit 40. Brought back loadsa memories , the joy of riding the shops on my ultra burner to spend my £1 pocket money on the latest issue and a bag of sherbet lemons 🙂
    Amazing how some of the artists visions of the future have come true
    Otto sump = plastic surgery
    Mobile phones etc.

lapdog
    Free Member

Anything by Jack Kirby.

control67
    Free Member

Another Hate and Love and Rockets (and other Hernandez brothers work) fan here. Also 2000 AD, Transformers, Action Force/GI Joe and other 80s cartoon comics like Visionaries and Thundercats, marvel UK titles like overkill (featuring Deaths Head), Tank Girl, Alan Moore, Frank Miller…..

My only regular buy these days though is Viz.

BillMC

Nasty Tales, Cozmics, anything by Robert Crumb.

Cougar

I think I must’ve lead a sheltered childhood.

steveoath
    Free Member

Dredd!

At the moment the Saga series is fantastically well done.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Spiderman, liked the humor in them. Would have loved to buy some sea monkeys or Xray specs from the ads in the back of the old comics but alas I was only poor 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

2000AD, I currently have the Strontium Dog Search/Destroy Agency Files to get through, plus a Mean Machine and Chopper compendium. Not even got started on Dredd (have Vol.1) but do have a few of the complete stories.

Absolute favourite though is Young Death.

When not buried in 2000AD then Calvin and Hobbes is another go-to. Dilbert helped me pass a business module at uni (probably about 80% of my knowledge of Organisational Management and Context).

BigJohn

Isn’t that Germaine Greer on the cover of Oz? And a pensive Vivian Stanshall?

bearnecessities

..fettling Keith Lemon?

Pigface
    Free Member

Doonesbury is my favourite comic strip, but that is not the question.

Always like to read Tiger when I was a kid because of Skid Solo.

Never got into 2000AD but would look at friends copies.

zinaru
    Free Member

v for vendetta is an amazing graphic novel. had a profound affect on a 16 year old me. still relevant as well…

the robert crumb etc ‘zap comix’ stuff is great as well. a mate had a huge compilation of ‘zap’ – I’ve never managed to track a copy down despite years of looking.

and finally, i loved the ‘like a velvet glove cast in iron’ by daniel clowes.i’d like to see that being made into a film by someone that could do it justice…

Nico
    Free Member

slowoldman

Isn’t that Germaine Greer on the cover of Oz? And a pensive Vivian Stanshall?

Indeed. There is an even better shot that was not used for the cover. I’ll leave it to you to find.

antigee

as a small kid in the 60’s the only comic got on a regular basis was The Victor
    – Dandys and Beanos came from Jumble Sales

The Victor was very odd full of 2nd world war stuff and Alf Tupper

fongsaiyuk – Member

thanks Fat Freddy and The Furry Freak Bros – completely forgotten except for the cockroaches – my much older brother had a big collection – friday night here so I’ll see what can see on line

gobuchul
    Free Member

Coyote
    Free Member

My two favourites were:

and

Cougar seems to be the other reader of Cheeky apart from me.

franki
    Free Member

Star Lord
    2000AD
    X-Men
    Moon Knight
    Alpha Flight
    Conan The Barbarian

binners

As Charlie Brooker put it

No paper wants to gratuitously offend the reader. Pity, because gratuitous offence, when performed with aplomb, is the funniest thing in the world. There’s more unpretentious joie de vivre in a single issue of vintage-era Viz than most artists or singers manage in a lifetime.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Jezuz..

My favourite was BATTLE / ACTION FORCE which was ace… I just Google’d it. Found a site with them on…And the first issue was 1983! So I was 7 years old. Actually a little shocked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Favourite comics’ is closed to new replies.