Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Favourite bike of your childhood?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let’s see some memories….! Am sure we’ll have a few Choppers and Bombers (in fact, am sure that most will be Raleighs!) but my childhood favourite?

A lime green Raleigh Strika, just like this;

See? I was rocking that triple clamp thing way before it became cool!

I ragged this thing senseless, planks and bricks as jumps, whatever I could find. I reckon this is what got me really in to riding bikes and what led me on to BMX, which in turn got me on to mountain bikes. It was all good!

apart from the grips. They were shocking!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My first! not mine, but it looked like this…

have a video of my first ever ride without stabilizers somewhere

nodrog2
    Free Member

I had the strika’s little brother, the boxer. This bad boy

Great little bike until i snapped the forks popping wheelies and jumping it over brick and wood plank jumps in the back lane.

swisstony
    Free Member

great thread,

I had that same colour strika, a tomahawk mk11, then later BMX’s but my favourite was the commando, mine was better than this one though as it actually had a camo colour scheme

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Apparently, my mum says I was overjoyed to receive a little tricycle, when I was very small. something like this. I couldn’t ride it at first, but just sat on it, beaming, saying ‘bike!’.

Ah, the memories of childhood…

Had a Grifter, later. Think the little trike was probbly my ‘favourite’, though.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Was just about to post the commando!

Gripshift yello/blue/red.

Stop in red and you’d have to push until you found a hill to coast down and change gear again lol

Oh and the seat was the most uncomfortable thing ever!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

A blue Tomahawk – (not mine and not me I’m afraid)

and later on, a Mongoose California:

nickc

I had a Raliegh Jeep. Sort of an early mountain bike really. wide cow-horns, 3 speed SA, rack. It was lush. Grifters were shite, a mate had one, it must have been made of solid pig iron it weigh so much

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Grifters were shite

What punishment for this blasphemer, d’you reckon? Hanging? Burning alive? Public disembowelment?

They were proper bastard heavy, mind…

theflatboy
    Free Member

this is the first one i had bought new for me:

class!

acjim
    Free Member

why did old school bmx’s have those massively laid back seatposts?

(I had a 5spd pug racer until I was old enough to buy my own mtb – how I coveted my best mates Grifter)

IHN

The Raleigh Boxer.

If anyone knows where I could get some decals, I have a hankering to spray my 456 and sticker it up as a Boxer 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

and then they made them heavier by adding metal mudguards:

jfeb
    Free Member

Another vote for the Budgie. I was properly gutted when I broke it – aged about 17 (OK, I should haven’t been riding it, but I could resist after finding it “hiding” at the back of the shed)

james-o
    Free Member

Curtis freestyler… pk ripper.. that mongoose looks cool too )

grifters were shite bikes echnically, one of the worst hanlding bikes ever mad, but we loved them anyway!

Nick

Raleigh Tuff Burner

gonefishin
    Free Member

“grifters were shite bikes echnically, one of the worst hanlding bikes ever mad, but we loved them anyway! “

Have you ridden a chopper recently? I rode one auite recently and frankly I’m amazed that we survived on the roads for as long as we did.

In my case I had both the Budgie and Tomahawk then it was onto racers.

SE Racing PK Ripper

enfht
    Free Member

My Grifter was blue but could only find pics of a red one, did anyone else tuck the front mudgaurd under to make the tyre rubbing sound like a motorbike?!!

Meteor-Lite freestyle frame (mine was polar white)

Raleigh Tuff Burner

Cant find any pics of the Ammaco Mongoose race frame I had though but God it was nice!

djglover
    Free Member

I had a black striker, and my dad fitted a box to the handlebar that made a motorbike noise 8)

Marmite
    Free Member

Grifter, the original one.

Looks so small now, but class memories.

That mudflap used to bend into the tyre and sound like a motorbike, well it did when I was young!

Image courtesy of http://www.bmxmuseum.com

coffeeking
    Free Member

Whatever bike I was riding was my favourite!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Grifter, loved it more than the racer (a Raleigh thing, white with red bar tape, can’t remember the name) but I had to concede it was heavy. Landed wheelies/jumps so badly and frequently that the forks bent until the tyre buzzed the bottom of the headset. Still, saved folding the mudguard under to get that engine noise 😀
    Happy days, oh, and Sturmy Archer 3 speed with a twist grip was awesome, much better than the downtube nonsense on the racer.

hora
    Free Member

I also had a lime green Raleigh Strika. Anyone from Huddersfield here? I used to ride it repeatdly down Woodhouse Hill in Fartown (before they had the traffic calming measures in place of course). Forgot all about it then recently I drove up, its a second gear climb and about 3/4m long. ****. I must have been 6yrs old doing that. ****!!!!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

was the ‘boxer’ not the mini grifter?

grifter would be my choice, although mine had foamworm in the saddle!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hora, my lime green Strika was oop North as well, as I was in Yorkshire at the time!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Got to be my first bike which was a chippy:

Had one in yellow…

enfht
    Free Member

****, I had a yellow Chippy too!!!! never knew it was a Raleigh, then I had a red BoBo whatever that was?

swisstony
    Free Member

the Grifter is Marmite’s pic looks tops, i’d ride one now.

hora
    Free Member

Funny, I bet the bikes are tiny compared to us now. I remember mine being slightly too big at the time.
    A year or so back I came across my old Cub uniform. I couldnt even get my arm through one of the shorts legs let alone a leg now!

hora
    Free Member

I remember the Grifter having a gripshift? Plus compared to my strika it was smoother and alot heavier!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Another vote for the Strika here, my favourite because I could be a more effective tomboy with it than my old Raleigh girls bike. I made cardboard thingies that dragged on the spokes as the wheels turned and made a cool noise…

DezB
    Free Member

Must dig out an old photo.. I wished for a branded bike like a Raleigh! I only ever had cheapos and my dad went to great lengths to make them as Grifter or Chopper like as possible.
    Cowhorn bars and a banana seat I recall being added to one of my bikes.

My fondestly remembered bike was a chrome framed road bike that I used to ride to my girlfriend’s house on every day. I think I was 14/15. Wore through the crotch on my jeans on the saddle.

Surfr
    Free Member

Strika for me too

Me dabbing on a gnarly bit of tarmac singletrack near home some time in the early 80s

lead to this beautiful chrome burner and the only full face I’ll ever own.

Think my first bike might have been a fixie though. Rod brakes too.

ziggy
    Free Member

Thought I’d post a pic of my fist real road bike, a Raleigh Team Cadet, from about 1986, I rode this everywhere one summer.

ski
    Free Member

Cannot find any pics, probably due to it being cheap, but boy did I have fun on mine 😉

Before this, I had a Raleigh Bomber, showing my age now 😉

I have no idea how I survived riding that with monkey bars fitted, on the road 😉

IHN

I’ve found Boxer stickers on eBay 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

My first was a 2nd hand thing called a Pavemaster. Cr@p, but fine for buzzing about on Somerset lanes. First proper bike was a Grifter XL, just like the black one a few posts back.

Yes, it did have grip shift, but only two of the three gears were ever available at any one time. I also bent my forks doing ‘Phantom Riders’ (pedal along as fast as possible, jump off, and watch your steed being ridden by a phantom – you could get it to go a good hundred yards by itself downhill!).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had a beautiful Kilp(scottish handbuilt frame) roadbike with full campag groupset when I was about 15. Sadly stolen. The nicest bike I have ever owned.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Favourite bike of your childhood?’ is closed to new replies.