Favourite aphorisms

Home Forum Chat Forum Favourite aphorisms

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Favourite aphorisms
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

This goes into my list, just seen it today:

“It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you loose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common laws of business balances prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it’s well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough money to pay for something better” – John Ruskin (1819-1900)

post yours.

and another one:

As you get older you learn to never waste an erection, walk past a public convenience or trust a fart

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

The older i get the better i was .

camo16

Sometimes we want to hide from ourselves — we do not want to be us — it is too difficult to be us. It is at these times that we turn to drugs or alcohol or behavior to help us forget that we are ourselves. This of course is only a temporary solution to a problem which is going to keep returning, and sometimes these temporary solutions are worse for us than the original problem. Yes, it is a dilemma. Is there an answer? Of course there is: as a wise person said with a smile: “The answer is within the question.”

Log Lady. Twin Peaks. Enough said.

IHN

“It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you loose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common laws of business balances prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it’s well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough money to pay for something better”

So, buy cheap, buy twice.

Knowledge is that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is to not put it in a fruit salad

IHN

American context, but the principle stands. And probably not strictly an aphorism, but I like it.

Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things, every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, ‘Liberal,’ as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won’t work, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor.

Congressman Matt Santos (admittedly from The West Wing)

iDave

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.”

Nassim Taleb

globalti

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi:

“A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.”

tails

“It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you loose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common laws of business balances prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it’s well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough money to pay for something better” – John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Or to summerise; Buy cheap buy twice!

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.

Albert Einstein

I used to be with “it”, but then they changed what “it” was.
    Now, what I’m with isn’t “it”, and what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me.

Abraham Simpson.

Blimey Stoner; that was a quick ’48 hours’. 😉

Why poo on your own doorstep, when you can poo on someone else’s?

Plato? Neitzshe? Churchill? Aung San Suu Kyi?

Nah- Elfinsafety, innit? 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Favourite aphorisms’ is closed to new replies.