Favorite dialect / slang word

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Favorite dialect / slang word
  • Sidney

Liblab – old scouse slang for library – always smiled in election when they mentioned liblab coalition…….
    Some other I remember from Liverpool:
    Bizzies – police
    Bevvies – drinks
    Leccie – electricity
    Trainees – trainers
    Trackees – tracksuit
    Boxies – boxer shorts

LOL at geoffj!

rkk01

Educate yourself in Janner (Plymouth) culture

From the Janner textbook – relatives come out with these regularly…

Member ‘im to me”

“Fockin’ mentoe”

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Ayup me duck
    Tararrabit

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I do like being called "duck" by everyone you meet when i see my brother in Derby. I also liked being called "bro" by everyone when in New Zealand.

PJ266

Orite butt.

Welsh greeting.

druidh

Ho hum – Member

Horns (sp?) = hands, Scottish again

That would be hauns. Also jooks as in "pit up yer jooks" if wishing to engage in a fist fight, or "corrie-jookit" to describe being left-handed.

How about this one – ben the hoose

I was surprised to find that some people outside Birmingham didn't know what The Cut was.
    I didn't realise it was just a local dialect word for the canal.

deluded

What DD said. Bristolians leave out certain syllables and add others where they're not needed.

Coleslaw – not the salad mayonnaise accompaniment but the Colston Hall – a gert proper place in the aerial.

Air hellair, dez wen rair? – Alright mate do you like rowing?

druidh

MilitantGraham – Member
    I was surprised to find that some people outside Birmingham didn't know what The Cut was.
    I didn't realise it was just a local dialect word for the canal.

That's not just a local word http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/The-Greenock-Cut

organic355

From Aberdeen

fit like?

A greeting, essentially, "How are you doing?" to which the response is

Aye… tyauvin on. (Aye tawin on) "Fine, thanks" or "juist tyauvin awa

organic355

and more from up north:

A'm fair forfochten – I am very tired.

knapdarloch – dung hanging in knots in wool round a sheep's bottom

louns an quines (louns an queans) – Lads and lassies, boys and girls.

greyman

wor, divvent, (more for Drac – it's another language really)

LuckyJim

Fit fit fits fit fit?

[Dundee/Angus Coast/Aberdeen – potentially said in a shoeshop to enquire "which shoe fits which foot?"]

An'an-ingin'-een-an'-aw.

[Dundee – in the bakery, after ordering a "peh" or "bridie", deciding that "Yes indeed, I would also care for an onion-filled version of this fine pastry-based delicay, if you would be so kind".]

😆

Premier Icon robgarrioch
    Subscriber

Winchin' – attempting to become romantically entangled with one of the opposite (or same 8) ) sex (mid – north east Scotland, esp. Dundee, where every sentence must be followed by; "is it?")

Peedie – small, or miniscule (Orkney – as uttered by father after a few Highland Park's eg.) that's an awfy peedie package in yer haund)

Nip'na'hauf – single whisky & a half pint (north east, again)

Premier Icon drain
    Subscriber

'eckaslike – unlikely, as in "Will I 'eckaslike vote Tory"

'appen as mebbe (or just 'appen) – que sera, sera (albeit with a Yorkshire twang 😉 )

I like "nesh" a lot, and as far as I know there's no equivalent word in mainstream English for the annoying woman in your office who insists on putting the heating on even when it's 23 degrees out.

"Squinny" is good too, it's used by people from Portsmouth and means a person who moans a lot.

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

beat me to it jim!

it a but went in meh eh;eh nearly dehd; Gosh! that was a near miss as that boisterous young chap threw his empty port glass across the bar in the Ivanhoe.Why in fact it just missed my eye,which could have hurt a tad!
    Awa an leh in yir ane pish; I would like to conclude this discussion into the finer points of pre/post tribulation rapture,if you don't mind.

Both oarry,Dundee dialect

odannyboy

apparently the nhs put together a "handbook" of dielect for "foreign" doctors working in strong dielect areas of the uk so they had a fighting chance of making a diagnosis.

e.g. "tha wee bairns bin fair greetin al nict!"

meaning; "my small child has been crying all night".

odannyboy

whats stoor in scottish?
    as in "wipe the stoor from of tommorrows pies" a la billy connelly

Stoor – dirt IIRC

deadlydarcy – Member
    Personally, and I know it's not obscure, I love "eejit" which comes from an old Irish pronunciation of "idiot". Care must be taken when using without an Irish accent though.

Needs preceeeding by a decent **** though – as in "you wee **** eejit, you….", a term I've heard from my father for a significant portion of my 40 years, usually associated in my younger years with some minor drama that involved something being broken at some point somewhere around me!

Mrs Toast

"Sitar", used as a non-committal response in conversations – usually when you can't be bothered to actually listed to the other person, but just want to make vague noises of agreement. Squadged up version of "That's it, ar".

"Don't like the new government much!"

"Sitar".

Premier Icon beamers
    Subscriber

More Cornish – Emmitt/Grockle : mildly annoying tourist / person from up north. Note that to people in Cornwall London is north…..

I think you'll find that Emitt is a Cornish term whilst Grockle is the Devon term.

Grockle is the Devon term

My mate from the Isle of Wight always used to call tourists / mainlanders grockles.

TheTompy

It made my wife's day when she heard a blerk in Newcastle say "howay man woman man".

WTF

whats stoor in scottish?

It means dust.

Premier Icon Esme
    Subscriber

BLETCH refers to the greasy black marks on my white ankle socks after riding my tricycle. Not sure if it was a local Potteries word, or came from the railway industry

khani

na'then ow'art awreet 8)

khani

i get strange looks in billericay when i say that 😯

Gadgee, a person, workman, clerk etc
    Clemmy, stone, especially suitable sized for causing damage when thrown
    Spoogy, common bird, often but not exclusively of the sparrow family

Ho hum

fud – central Scotland term for female private parts

'Plodge' (paddle)
    'Clarts', (muddy puddles)ie, to 'plodge in the clarts'
    'Lowey', (butterfly)
    'Cushet', (pigeon}
    'Ganzie' (wooly jumper)

andyl46

Some Belfast slang

Melt (I'll knack yer melt in, wee lad): Threat of violence
    Wind yer neck in (also "catch yerself awn"): Dont be so silly
    Are you away? (similarly "Is that you?"): Are you leaving shortly?
    Keep 'er lit: A parting statement, or encouragement
    …,so it is: Usually placed at the end of a sentance to infer sincerity (thats a lovely dress, so it is) except its used at the end of most sentances
    Wee: usually meaning small, but is used as an adjective for anything in Belfast. "Would you like a wee cup of tea/bag for that/pint/slap round the bake? etc
    Suckin' Diesel: Particularly good.
    Ye gettin?: Are you being served?

For authenticity, swear often and randomly.

sssimon

andy ya big streak a piss

you forgot "here be's me, what?" a sign that your cohort has not fully understood what you were trying to convey in the converstation

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Favorite dialect / slang word’ is closed to new replies.