Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Faulty WTB Convict Tyres?
  • 100mph
    Free Member

Has anyone else bought a WTB Convict Light High Grip Tyre recently and had problems with it?

I am on my 4th tyre and everyone has had leaking sidewalls! The rims seat and seal tubeless great, but then slowly deflate over 24 hrs.

I put them in water to find the source of leak and the whole sidewall leaks!!
    [video]https://youtu.be/5Gt4A5hgXSg[/video]

I’ve tried spinning them on their sides to get the sidewalls coated with sealant, but no luck. There’s Def a manufacturing problem.

honeybadgerx

I’ve had similar problems with nano cross tyres, they just don’t really seal. Have considered using some ‘quick setting’ fluid like continental and then switching back to Stan’s. Never had a problem with heavy sidewall wtb tyres.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Need to be a bit more scientific than just spinning with it on its side. Need a bucket so you can lay wheel flat, shake and flip to the other side every hour or so for a couple of days. You need the sealant to actually be pooled on the sidewalls.

If its still leaking after a couple of days, then yes it is indeed probably faulty.

Also, have you tried the conti trick of washing the inside of the tyre to ensure no mold release agent is preventing sealant sticking?

100mph
    Free Member

It states on the sidewall it’s ‘TCS’, (Tubeless compatible system), which it is clearly not if I have to p1ss around for 4+ days to try and get it sealed!

I’ve got vigilante and trail boss tyres that are TCS air tight, inflated first time and stayed inflated, so these are Def faulty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they shouldn’t need left on their sides, same as yourself I haven’t had any bother with trail Boss or vigilantes.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Tubeless compatible isnt like UST, it does actually require sealant so imo it’s not unreasonable to have to take steps to seal the sidewall.

If you aren’t willing to invest a little time in them then go for the heavier version next time.

And how hard is it to flip a wheel over inbetween episodes of whatever boxed set you are watching anyway?

benpinnick

Unless they are TCS tough then they can be a bit leaky I have found, although yours look really bad. Get some caffe Latex you should be good as its much, much better than stans for an initial seal. Once sealed they are generally fine. Maybe run a mix of 1/3 CL 2/3rds stans to keep the sealing capability up a bit.

deviant
    Free Member

And how hard is it to flip a wheel over inbetween episodes of whatever boxed set you are watching anyway?

Probably more hassle than sticking a tube in it and being done with it.

johnnystorm

I had one of a pair of nanos do this. Lobbed a good scoop of glitter in the leaky one and it sorted it.

burko73

My nanos did this. Called alpkit they said they all do it. Rotated and flipped back and forth and once the sealant was distributed they’ve been fine.

100mph
    Free Member

I have also used TCS light Vigilante and Trail Boss tyres in the past and they all sealed fine with no sidewall issues.

Apart from one incident, I haven’t had this problem mounting 100’s of tubeless and non tubeless tyres in the past. As mentioned above, there was the old continental problem, but to be fair they were not specific tubeless tyres, just normal ones trying to be mounted tubeless, like I had been able to do with other makes in the past. Since continental brought out the tubeless versions, they are fine.

I’m quite shocked that some people think this is acceptable and a ‘tubeless’ tyre doesn’t actually need to be airtight!!

Kahurangi

I’ve had some Vigilantes with thin sidewalls that bubble a tiny wee (when worn) bit but not like that and not when new.

I’d be sending that back.

bigyinn
    Free Member

People have made suggestions on how to sort this. As others have said they are tubeless compatible, with is NOT the same as UST.
    Either put up and use the fixes suggested or get a proper UST tyre.

100mph
    Free Member

Ha, thanks for your input. I didn’t actually ask for a solution I asked if anyone else had suffered with similar problems 😉

I’ve installed 100’s of all types of ‘tubeless’ tyres since they were invented and also tested prototypes for Maxxis, so I have some experience on the matter and know the difference 😉

Whatever the type of tyre, UST, tubeless compatible or standard, call me pedantic, but I expect the carcass to be actually air tight, the sealant is there to help form a seal btw the bead and rim and hopefully fix punctures.

With my engineering head on, if the sidewalls are leaking, there are voids through it, which are weaknesses in the structure which can lead to premature failure.

BoardinBob

Whatever the type of tyre, UST, tubeless compatible or standard, call me pedantic, but I expect the carcass to be actually air tight

Never, ever, buy a Specialized 2Bliss ready tyre then!

fifeandy
    Free Member

The whole point of TLR tyres is they are not air tight without sealant as a way to save weight over UST. I’ll not disagree that its a pita, but its not a manufacturing defect either until you’ve actually taken steps to seal the sidewalls.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ha, the old “im an engineer, I know what im doing…” line. Havent seen that one for ages! 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Faulty WTB Convict Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.