Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Faulty brake leaver – Insurance Bike through Wheelies…what to do?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Last October I got my bike replaced by insurance and they said it had to be done through Wheelies Direct (Cardiff), and I live in Yorkshire.

One of the brake leavers is now faulty, so I have emailed them.

What rights do I have. Obviously if I had bought the bike locally I would take it back to the shop, however this will not be possible.

Also the leave is faulty as in the barrell adjuster that adjusts the reach just isnt doing its job, so the bar pulls to the leaver, and if adjust it out again, as soon as you brake it doesnt hold and pulls to the leaver again. Would that be classed as wear and tear or faulty? IMO there is no W&T as you set it and leave it.

Has anyone else had experience on the best way to resolve insurance replced bike issues, as I cant take it to Cardiff to get an opinion.

Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

For the cost of a mechanical brake lever, they’ll be unlikely to argue over it. We’d probably suggest taking it to your LBS, and sending us the bill and damaged part for a refund.

AlasdairMc

Are you sure the cable isn’t loose or the barrel adjuster has been pulled out beyond its limit?

althepal

Notes that coatsey prob works for Wheelies- not a bad thing btw.
    Was on the phone to them all the time when I worked for Pru/Directline, can’t remember the chap’s name I always dealt with but they usually always gave us and the insured pretty good service.
    Once you’ve spoken to them it shouldn’t be too much hassle to sort it out I’m guessing.
    (Pedant mode) aren’t they based in Swansea though?(pendant mode).

coatesy
    Free Member

Don’t give up the day job to become a detective. I work for Sunset 😀
    Edit: Wheelies is indeed in Swansea.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just got off the phone to Wheelies.

Already sent them 2 emails without any response 😈

They reckon they need checking every 6-8 weeks and rebleeding, and this is the problem… not a faulty leaver. They said to try a rebleed and if that didnt work they would then send the leaver off to Avid to see what they think.

Of course no thought to the fact that I would have to dismantle the brake leaver to get it to them!!

Not happy so Ive said I will take it to my own LBS to get an opinion…

njee20
    Free Member

1. it’s lever, no a
    2. there are no barrel adjusters on hydraulic brakes, what’s the exact problem?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its that adjuster in the middle of the pic, thats moves the leaver nearer to, and further away from the bar.

Since new it has been left in one position, doing HTN went round a bend, a clicking noise and the leaver pulled to the bar (but brake still worked) I adjusted it further during the race and it held with mild pulling but serious pulling made a clicking noise and it pulled to the bar every time. Now I can adjust it to where I like the leaver, but now even slight pressure and small resistance before the leaver pulls to the bar.

njee20
    Free Member

Again “lever”.

That’s not a barrel adjuster, and if the lever is coming back to the bars that’s not the problem – all the span adjuster does is move the ‘natural’ point the lever sits at.

Lever coming back to the bars does suggest a bleed is necessary, although a little odd after 8 months it’s not unheard of, particularly with Avids.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m sorting out the insurance claim for my stolen DH bike and my insurance company also referred me to Wheelies….
    tempting as the Wheelies offer may seem i declined this as the very same thought entered my mind regarding any issues over faulty parts or warranty claims and also due to the fact i would never spend that amount of money on a bike without a test ride first…

Wibble89
    Free Member

If under light pressure it seems to work, but then with added pressure it clicks/gives and moves to the bar then it is likely that the main seal (or glide ring next to it) in the lever has worn/moved slightly out of position.

If its just spongy all the way through the lever travel then it probably just needs a bleed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its definitely a click and then to the bar…

nickjb
    Free Member

Stick the brakes on ebay as one working, one spares/repairs and buy some Shimanos with the money.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like the reach adjuster is partially stripped. Meaning it will still stay in place until some real force is applied, then it slips.

khani
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Faulty brake leaver – Insurance Bike through Wheelies…what to do?’ is closed to new replies.