Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fatty's been on a diet!
  • tomhoward

Take one chubby bike…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p1jknw]image[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

Stop it from going to greggs, make it do sit ups, jog up some stairs, drink slimfast etc

The result?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YjN6Ng]Fatboy slim[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

7lbs off! Also, plenty of mud clearance (tyres are 29×2.4 ardents on 29mm rims)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yxif8M]Fatboy slim[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/XWgRAj]Fatboy slim[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

first ride is tomorrow, so will see just how much leaner she is!

Poopscoop

Yep, that’s some pretty MASSIVE tyre clearance right there! 😀

Looks like you’re valve/the logos are a little off, also you still have pedal reflectors.

Many on here will tell you that will have a bad impact on high speed handling!

Jokes aside have a great ride out on the new set up. 🙂

Mugboo

But that was 7lbs of fun, now it’s just fast

downhillfast
    Free Member

So it’s no longer Fatty? 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looks like you’re valve

If your going to bee a pendant….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Why buy a fat bike in the first place if you’re not gonna run it as one? 😕

tomhoward

Pedals were just to ride it to the shop from work, spds are on now.

Why change? I’ve had it in fat mode for 3 years now, fancied something different is all. I’ve still got the fat wheels and tyres, so no bother to swap back if needs be.

Fast is also fun, no?

*more change may be required, specifically to the fork, the last time I had 80mm travel, it was because that was all that was available, now I’ve lost all the cushioning from the tyres, a new longer air shaft may be required

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m with you on this one Tom, did the same to my Canyon Dude. 2 sets of wheels = 2 bikes. I went for 27.5+ and 3.0 tyres.
    Makes a massive difference to the handling.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Why buy a fat bike in the first place if you’re not gonna run it as one?

I’ve posed this question to myself a few times over the last ~14 months, since buying one of the last FatNotFat 29er wheelsets, which have since spent the vast majority of time fitted.

Sometimes I think why didn’t I just simply buy a Voodoo Marasa when on offer, instead of the Wazoo?

But generally, I think I made the right choice for me…
    At the time (Feb 2016), I needed a fun bike to get over the “demons” of my Xmas 2013 RTA
    When in fat mode, I’ve got a bigger contact patch with the ground under me, which should improve braking
    I’ve effectively got two bikes in one, with a swap of wheels
    It appeals to my general “leftfield” approach to things, I don’t like following the sheeple
    Now I’ve got a road bike again, I’ve got two very different steeds, but the Wazoo in “featherweight” (~10.5Kg IIRC) 29er mode is no slow-coach and is great for hill training in the wet
    etc.

The only thing I’m a bit annoyed about is good old PlanetX, last year they listed some Fatty V1 front wheels as being RDS for £34, so I grabbed one for when I got around to getting an RDS On One Fatty Carbon fork fitted… So imagine my surprise when I go to fit the RDS wheel just after the fork swapover earlier this year and the brake rotor is jammed against a caliper because it is actually FDS!

So for the time being, the best I can do Fat-wise is the fat rear with the 29er front and a 2.3″ tyre, which I used up the Meon Valley Trail and then Old Winchester Hill a couple of months back.
    The cheapest option is to buy another Hope crown race and fit it to the default FDS alloy fork, alternatively source a relatively cheap RDS front wheel, or get a wheel builder to lace up an RDS hub I bought.

akira

I’ve got a RDS fatty wheel, drilled rims and all good, replaced with hope/dt Swiss. Can do you a deal on a pair. Picked up last of the RDS hope hubs as new fatsno FDS only.

Poopscoop

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Looks like you’re valve
    If your going to bee a pendant….

But I was JOKING rather than being a pedant!

I’ll blame the incorrect wording on predictive though. 😉

bri-72

n0b0dy0ftheg0at PM’d you about a brake adapter to solve your RDS issues

ratherbeintobago

Why buy a fat bike in the first place if you’re not gonna run it as one?

Isn’t there the issue with big floaty tyres skating on mud rather than cutting through the slop?

I’m sure 29″ did this as an experiment on a Mukluk years ago.

rOcKeTdOg

heavy fat bike frame and fork will still be a heavy fat bike fame and fork with lighter wheels, just think how fast (you said above that was the point of doing this) a normal 29er frame, fork and wheels would be.

i think you’re riding the wrong bike. some of us do that on purpose though just for the attention.

i have no leg to stand on though,i’ve been riding this gravel-hybrid

tomhoward

Fast as in fast-er than the fat tyre vesion, and it’s cheaper than buying a whole new bike which, if I did, the fatboy would have to go due to a 1 in 1 out policy, no such policy exists for number of wheels tho…

*keeps eye out for carbon fat frame…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isn’t there the issue with big floaty tyres skating on mud rather than cutting through the slop?

It depends on the mud, but it’s more drifting than skidding, it doesn’t usually suddenly let go and spit you off so you can steer into it and pretend you’re a riding god.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

i’ve been riding this gravel-hybrid

Looks a tad small for you.

I’ve got one of those Mudhuggers too, they work great but ruin the look of the bike. 😆

singlespeedstu

i have no leg to stand on though,i’ve been riding this gravel-hybrid

Your head looks to small for your body any your bb looks to low even for a mincer bike. 😉

dahedd
    Free Member

I really like the look of my Mudhugger on my Wazoo, think it looks cool.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Need to sort your lawn out 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fatty's been on a diet!’ is closed to new replies.