• This topic has 38 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by higgi.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Fatty Trail – Now with photos!
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well it arrived at work on Tuesday, and got wet yesterday at work but finally today I took it home and here it is, my new Gnarwhale.

Stealth grey and orange

Guide Brakes

XO1

120mm Bluto with sag guide.

Taking it out now for a proper ragging. Front tyre pressure a bit higher than normal. Lets see what happens.

🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Frickin Love mine 😀 change the tubes for Shwalbe SV13 and use about 8psi at the most, you will be stunned at what you can do on this bike, Enjoy 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For a Bluto equipped fatbike, they look stonking good value if your initial budget can reach at least £1k (albeit you can get ~2% Topcashback)… Enjoy! 🙂

For tube weight saving, SV13F (~185g), they will reduce overall weight by ~700g over the OE tubes that are ~550g each IIRC. One of mine failed very early on during inflation, so I have a SV13J installed as well, which came in at ~392g each for my set.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I inflated my tubes and left them overnight before fitting, that seems to help

Lester
    Free Member

if anyone wants one, i bought two as i was unsure about the size, i am selling one , they are great bikes, i love mine

onandon
    Free Member

Keep the floaters for winter. Get some jumbo jims for summer 🙂 thats another 2lb saved/ dropped.

cokie

Lester- What size? How much?

roverpig

I have an irrational hatred of grey mountain bikes, but for some reason I rather like the look of that. Must be the orange bits or something. Much prefer it to the blue/yellow, which is strange as I’m normally all in favour of garish colours.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. I sure looks fun!

NormalMan

Enjoy it.

Looks nice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have an irrational hatred of grey mountain bikes, but for some reason I rather like the look of that. Must be the orange bits or something. Much prefer it to the blue/yellow, which is strange as I’m normally all in favour of garish colours.

I’ve a grey/orange one waiting in the shed for a bit of £££, wanted a blue one but they had none in the sale.

It’s nicer in the flesh than in photos, but I can’t help being drawn to the rattle can isle in halfords.

Lester
    Free Member

@ cokie, yhm

Cheezpleez

I’m seriously considering one of these. It’s a toss-up between a Fatty Trail or the Cube Nutrail. Having had a go on the Cube, I really liked the bigger (4.4?) tyres. Anyone know the widest tyre the Fatty Trail will take on the standard rims and running 1 x 11?

Cheezpleez

Lester, I could also be interested if your spare is a medium

freddiest

Nice! Starting to wish I’d bought a trail instead of my white fatty. Will probably fancy a bluto at some point.

rOcKeTdOg

100mm bluto goes fine on an original O-O fatty
    Lack of standover compared to the original fatty put me off the trail, bought frame, tried my mates built up trail, sold frame

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well that went badly. 5 gentle miles to get to the Ridgway and the rear Floater delammed the sidewall. Grrrr.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That blows! 👿

Did you buy any spare tyres at the same time as ordering the bike?

Anyone live near you with a spare tyre to tide you over until you get a replacement?

As an example, Jumbo Jim 4.0 snakeskins can be had for ~£50 at http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/fat–snow-177-c.asp or http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Absolute-Cycles/MTB-Tyres-/_i.html?LH_SellerWithStore=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_fsub=439862011&_sasi=1&_sid=834007831&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1 (I used latter to get a pair of these for £40 each in the Ebay 20% sale at Easter)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nobody local to me. I’ve just ordered a Floater on overnight tracked. That should save the day.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Apologies to the Floater. I was running 4psi.
    It felt so wrong, it felt so right (© K Perry)

batman11
    Free Member

Can’t say for sure yet as well m still mending after a big spill some weeks ago!
    But I am kinda wishing I bought one of these instead of my canondale fat caad 1

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh! swapsies? I’m a ‘dale lover.

ekul
    Free Member

Got mine a few months ago in one of their many liquidation sales. Reverb, carbon bars and guide brakes for £1100 quid! Bargain!

Got me up and over the Walna scar road the other day, and down surprisingly quickly! If I could figure pics out I’d put a few on.

batman11
    Free Member

If it was a lrg I’d almost consider it with a bit of cash my way

stu170
    Free Member

I love mine, same spec as OPs. Find myself getting strava PB’s every time out round the local thetford rides. And was keeping up with my friends on full sussers quite easily in Scotland a few weeks ago. Fantastic bike.

ekul
    Free Member

Finally figured it out. Looking over Scafell (I think!)

mudplugga
    Free Member

This is mine. Built from the £84 frame! It’s ace!!

epicyclo

on and on – Member
    Keep the floaters for winter…

I regard it as a summer tyre for dry conditions.

burko73

Can you swap wheels from a fatty to a fatty trail?

burko73

On from my last post, what is the difference between a mk 2 fatty and the fatty trail?

mattjg
    Free Member

Want. Already got 2 great bikes, don’t need. Gah.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

any of you Fatties doing the Jennride in the lakes this weekend?

Hoff

Lawmanmx – I’ll be at the Jennride on my OOF – are you going?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yep Hoff, getting there this evening so there’s no rush on the morning 🙂 i’ll be on a standard silver/grey fatty trail with a red alpkit drybag on the front, i’ll make sure to keep an eye out for an O-O fatty and say Hi 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

burko73 – Member
    On from my last post, what is the difference between a mk 2 fatty and the fatty trail?

The Mk2 fatty is the normal white one, visually it’s identical to the mk1, I can’t actually remember the difference off the top of my head, 2 top tubes, massive standover etc. Rigid or 80-100mm fork.

The Trail is kind of a fat bike crossed with a parkwood, ‘normal’ frame, 120mm fork, etc a little longer in the top tube and a degree slacker.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Eddiebaby, did the replacement Floater arrive today, as planned?

I nearly put a PX order in earlier this week, but given how the last order I did took over a week to be dispatched, knowing my luck it would arrive when we are away next week!

rOcKeTdOg

he Mk2 fatty is the normal white one, visually it’s identical to the mk1, I can’t actually remember the difference off the top of my head,

mk1 i.s. brake mount, mk2 post mount

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nope. No new Floater. So holiday destination changed and Jekyll Carbon is the substitute plan. Out with the beard and deerstalker. In with the Gnarpoon for a spot of Gnaarnia. And some flouro enduro

higgi
    Free Member

question for Mudplugga . what forks are you using on yours ?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Fatty Trail – Now with photos!’ is closed to new replies.