Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fatty help?
  • crispyrice

I have ordered an On One Fatty rolling chassis which I understand uses a 100mm bottom bracket. Does this mean in need 100mm cranks? Can any one suggest some please? I see a Race Face 100mm BB on CRc but no 100mm cranks…

Cheers STW 🙂

wwaswas

Have a chat with Tim @ sideways he has some SRAM cranks that’ll do the job nicely.

akira

Tweeks have the race face ones in. I’ve gone cheap and cheerful and bought howitzer bb from Germany and crankset from on one, I’ll upgrade at a later date though.
    Sram, Surly, Middleburn, Ethirteen and Middleburn do decent 100mm cranks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

100mm BB and whatever size cranks you normally run.

wwaswas

whatever size cranks you normally run.

really?

don’t the cranks need a longer axle than the ones I’d use on a 68mm BB shell?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

don’t the cranks need a longer axle than the ones I’d use on a 68mm BB shell?

D’oh, sorry, thought you meant length, ie 172.5mm or 175mm etc, etc.. 😳

alexdudley
    Free Member

You can use a FSA platinum 100 mm bottom bracket, this is an isis bracket, so you can then fit any isis crank arms!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

SRAM X5 seems to be the mid-range option of choice, can be run with twin rings too.

crispyrice

Cheers guys I will check some of these out. I saw these on Tweeks :

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-chainsets-cranks/race-face-chester-crank-arms-with-bb

But they seem very heavy?

wwaswas

SRAM X5 is lighter and only about a tenner more than that with BB and rings included.

akira

Seen a few fat bikes with xx1 so presumably we should be seeing some nice cranks coming out soon. Can’t believe shimano won’t be getting something out asap.

crispyrice

wwaswas would you have a link to that please?

wwaswas

These are the cranks;

http://www.amazon.com/Crankset-100mm-Bottom-Bracket-170mm/dp/B00CQTAHLU

give Tim @ Sideways a call as they’re not on his website.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

has anyone found a neat solution for a shimano front mech yet? Would an E2-type work? Like this:

XT M780 E2-type @ CRC

crispyrice

Thanks wwaswas

crispyrice
    johnnystorm

ISIS double chain sets were on On-one or CRC for about £35 and the same again from bike discount.de for the Bottom bracket.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Would an E2-type work

Yup, I have an e-type XT one on my 9:zero:7

rickmeister

Teeto,

Can you be a bit more specific, I have just bought a 9 z 7 frame to start building it up…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

Teeto,

Can you be a bit more specific, I have just bought a 9 z 7 frame to start building it up…

To be honest, @Sideways Tim built it up for me, I’m far from technical sadly.. 😳

Give him a ring,he will be able to help..

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I’m building a fatty now!

X5 chainset is hreavy, brought one and sold it again! you’ll also struggle with the 36 ring touching the frame, 32 is far better for chain line etc
    Raceface is the way forward…
    http://www.silverfish-uk.com/Category/12820/Fat-Bike-Cranks
    Any decent LBS can order what you want. More stock arriving in the next few weeks they say.
    For info, I went with the evolve – it looks ace! Mate has a chester, it too looks ace! Best bit is the bottom brackets, once the raceface wears out just pop a shimano in! Cheap in the long run!

SidewaysTim

Just done some weighing. Turbines with 22/36 ring and BB 870g. Sram X5 with 22/36 rings and BB 920g.

Got them both in stock and the X9’s too, which are 850g

As for front mech, you’ll need a problem solvers 100mm direct mount and a direct mount BB for an On One. For a 9:ZERO:7 you’ll need an E type front mech (they now come separate from the mounting plate though).

rickmeister

Thanks folks, saved to favorites… and off to peruse Sideways web office…

SidewaysTim

That won’t take long 🙂

Give me a bell or drop a mail if you want to know owt.

SidewaysTim

I mean you’ll need a direct mount front derailler for an On One, not a BB. :/

theashnav
    Free Member

On an On One you can use an E-Type if you have one and a £3 clamp from CRC and an hours time with a piece of alloy and a couple of bolts – the drop is so it lines up with the hole in the mech 🙂

crispyrice

Hi Gibby 🙂

beerbiker
    Free Member

Had my Fatty since Dec 2012 & destroyed the bottom bracket (sand & me 😉 ) So replaced it recently & went 2 X 10 at the same time. BB used was this – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350680618652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2589wt_1138 Got stuck to UK customs for ages but was just what I wanted 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fatty help?’ is closed to new replies.