Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fatty curious – BB and crank options?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Really like the idea of the On One Fatty frame/fork/wheels/tyres combo but I’m at a loss trying to find a sensible (cheap) crankset option. What is there?

monkeyp

Merlin have Truvative Holtzfeller chainsets for £50 at the moment. Comes with a standard bb you could sell on. 100mm ones are about £30 from Germany. You can get away with a 32 tooth max on middle ring with these. I got the double and bash in case, but am running a single ring and guide just fine.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Raceface chester will run 2x on a fatty!
    Or…
    Middleburn
    FSA comet (if you can find one!)
    Etc etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Is the holtzfeller bb a GXP then?

monkeyp

No, its a Howitzer interface – similar to Isis, but (so it seems at the moment) a bit more resiliant.

SidewaysTim

Don’t bother, the BB’s need replacing too often and they are expensive with no options. Just get a Sram X5 crank. £125 for cranks, BB and 22/36 rings and loads of BB options when you do wear them out.

Gis a shout if you want one, we’ve got loads in stock.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

OK, got it so howitzer is its own type of interface and x-type is yet another which is used by raceface.

Tim, which ones fail early? Howitzer? I couldn’t find the X5 with 100mm BB for sale anywhere, good to know they exist, I’d written it off as nonexistent.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I have some FSA comets if you want them for relatively cheap, BB30 mind.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’m just looking at options at the moment, I’m trying to work out whether to get the full bike at £999 or the £499 combo. It’s all getting a bit spreadsheet-tastic but I think it will be the combo, I reckon I can do 2×10 XT with XT brakes for only £130 more.

SidewaysTim

I wouldn’t say they fail early, but the Howitzter BB’s are ISIS and it’s a receipe for shortgevity. Big diameter axle in a small casing means tiny ball bearings.

The X5 100mm option is a cracking bit of kit for the money.

swavis

The X5 100mm option is a cracking bit of kit for the money.

I agree, I’ve just fitted one to my Muk to replace a creaking old ISIS. Much better and nice to know I’ll have a choice of outboard bearings when these ones go.

Tim, do you know if Sram do a single ring version?

SidewaysTim

Er, yes but it involves taking the granny ring off yourself 🙂

swavis

What I meant was I have the double and it spaces the rings out further. I wondered if there was a single ring specific version or if there’s a triple and I’d remove the granny and the outer to keep a decent chainline. Hope that’s a bit clearer 😳

SidewaysTim

As far as I know there isn’t a single specific version, but you can play with spacers and move most stuff around to get the chainline you want one way or another.

swavis

Cool, I’ll either do that or maybe go for the Race Face turbines.

Cheers 🙂

SidewaysTim

Turbines are lovely. We’ve got those too and they will definitely cover more bases in terms of adjustment.

theashnav
    Free Member

I’m using the Race Face Chester on my Fatty its an external BB so when it wears out replace it with either the same or Shimano – it retails at £120 no rings – It’s running 22/32 loads of adjustment due to all the spacers it comes with – a nice and stiff crank 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fatty curious – BB and crank options?’ is closed to new replies.