• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fatter back tyre than front…
  • twang
    Free Member

…looks wrong. Will people point and laugh??

richc
    Free Member

yes

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden big up front due to tyre / mud clearance

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MTB-Idle
    Free Member

should be the other way round. fatter up front for more steering control and thinner out back for cutting through mud/loose surfaces

franki
    Free Member

I prefer to run same size front and rear as anything else feels somehow unbalanced. Occasionally I’ll run a narrower rear for speediness or extreme mud.

Back in the day David Baker used to regularly kick butt for Raleigh racing with a fatter rear tyre than front, so some people must like it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fatter back tyre for comfort?

I have run bikes like this depending on the conditions. /who cares if folk laugh.

sofatester
    Free Member

Most STWers would care!

twang
    Free Member

should be the other way round. fatter up front for more steering control

Does a fatter front give you more steering control? When I run narrow tyres, the steering feels quicker, drops into corners easier.

franki
    Free Member

I think a fatter front tyre is less easily deflected and knocked off-line rather than giving more control necessarily.

Aidan
    Free Member

I do that sometimes. For riding rocky trails like and un-coordinated chimp… I let the front fork sort out the front wheel and the big rear tyre sort out the back.

For a hardtail with generous travel, it makes sense for avoiding pinch flats.

MrNutt
    Free Member

bigger front for more grip, smaller rear for less drag. why would you run it the other way around? less grip and a spongey backside perhaps? very odd! 😀

twang
    Free Member

What about narrow but grippy front, fat and fast rear? why?…I dont know but I might try it!

RepacK
    Free Member

Fat back tyre – Im just wondering if we have inadvertently discovered some new slang…”Look at the Fat Back Tyre on that..” 😈

avdave2

Great a new way to rehash all the old what tyre treads.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What about if you have really slimy climbs? need the rear grip to get up them. I had a old skool matched pair of tyres that the rear was significantly larger than the front.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s wrong. It is, don’t argue. Wrong wrong wrong.

End of thread, go home people and think about the wrongness you’ve heard about today.

zaskar
    Free Member

Cushions rough hardtails.

Does my bum look big in this? 😈

no as nobody cares-just ride!

twang
    Free Member

..and then there’s motorbikes/GP/superbikes/sportsbikes, whatever you call them- they’ve got thin front fat back?
    ..and raleigh choppers…!

MrNutt
    Free Member

you will probably die. enjoy it and don’t give a fxxk?

abductee
    Free Member

You could place a larger tyre on the front of the bike but it would irreversibly upset its Feng shui. The Qi which is the movable positive or negative life force which plays an essential role will be reversed. The internal or physical energy of qi as it relates to feng shui would include the orientation of a structure, its age, and its interaction with the surrounding environment including the local micro climates, the slope of the land, vegetation, and soil quality.

The five elements of feng shui (water, wood, fire, earth/soil, metal not forgetting rubber) are made of yin and yang in precise amounts (Greater wood has less yin than lesser wood, but not as much yin as water, and so forth). Earth is a buffer, or an equilibrium achieved when the polarities cancel each other.

If you ride a motorbike its the other way round.

dr_adams
    Free Member

see to me, coming from motorbikes, it makes more sense to have it with the thicker tyre at the rear, tho i personally have them the same size, if i am in loose mud, and want to power through i would want a thick rear to do this? if you’re in a bog do you really wana cut through? also if i’m riding along and i need to stop quick i wil break harder on the rear and lean my weight over the back so would want a thicker tyre to grip more to stop? the front doesn’t really have a lot of chance as its always going to have the fork which is a moveable boundary surely?

zaskar
    Free Member

In winter slop I used a 2.3 on the front but I can only use a 2.1 on the rear.

Who cares! as long as I’m having fun.

Bumped into a guy that was using a 24″ rear 2.35 and a 2.1 front-big slog up hill to the trail but I bet he had a laugh!

Stiffee owners are known to have fat rear tyres to out-ride suss users downhill.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dr Adams -if you come from motorbikes you should know that the nmajority of braking is done with the front.

Muke
    Free Member

looks wrong. Will people point and laugh??

Ask WCA he has previous for this @ the Singletrackworld Swinley forest ride 😮

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fatter back tyre than front…’ is closed to new replies.