• This topic has 261 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 262 total)
  • Fatism
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. No-one really knows exactly what’s going on inside our bodies currently – apart from STW of course, they’re all experts.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh and there’s loads of evidence that one of the key things stopping overweight people exercise is that they don’t like the thought of people seeing them exercise. So people calling other people fat is likely to make them less likely to exercise.

Although I find it hard to understand how complicated it is just not to say nasty things to people just because that is a nasty mean thing to do, not because of any wider societal reasoning.

zilog6128

like zero calorie diet drinks making you fat

I’ve heard it all now!! 😀 Nothing to do with the supersize fries & burger being consumed along with that “diet” drink of course! It’s pretty obvious that portion/packet size has increased massively in the last 20/30 years or so. eg when I was growing up, if you wanted some crisps, you had a small bag of crisps. There weren’t these massive “sharing” bags you get now (which people seem more than happy to consume on their own!)

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the most popular fast food going way back was fish and chips. Portion sizes were always pretty big there I reckon. You get way more chips from the local chippy than you do at McDs.

zilog6128

Fish & chips will fill you up though – IMO it is not an unhealthy meal (in moderation of course). I would not be surprised if there were the same (or more) calories in a Maccy D’s due to the amount of sugar they put in the burger/bun/drink, plus you will probably want to eat again sooner.

EDIT: if you believe these people http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/nutritional-info-605.htm there are indeed less calories in a portion of fish and chips than a (much smaller) large Big Mac meal. Generally the real danger of processed foods is the amount of added sugar/fat/god knows what.

Peyote
    Free Member

You can’t buy supersized MaccyD’s anymore, I’ve tried.

sbob
    Free Member

but the poorest in society are the most likely to be obese

Agreed. Decent quality food is expensive.

When I was at my poorest, I was cooking chili and rice with pitta for less than £1 a portion, and I eat huge portions.

Perhaps the reasons why people are obese and poor are the same?

Either way, telling people they don’t have to be responsible for their own weight because they’re skint is not going to help anyone.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think its fair to say a healthy diet and lifestyle is both cheap and available to everyone.

You live in an ethically reared ivory tower. There are many reasons why, but that sweeping statement appears to be made from a very nice place indeed.

Crag
    Free Member

Most entertaining part of this thread is trying to pick out the trolls from the genuine pricks.

grum
    Free Member

Either way, telling people they don’t have to be responsible for their own weight because they’re skint is not going to help anyone.

Lucky no-one is doing that then eh?

xiphon
    Free Member

None I’m afraid – but did get recommended plenty of pills.

dabble
    Free Member

its the pills that tend to make me depressed.

sbob
    Free Member

grum – Member

Lucky no-one is doing that then eh?

Just alluding to it then. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

For the hard of thinking, looking at the reasons why things might happen isn’t the same as taking away personal responsibility.

weeksy

I’m overweight…

I’m having a large Dominos tonight…

I’d love to care…. but i just don’t.

I trained hard today… i’ll train hard tomorrow…

Friday… i’ll still be overwieght…

The Dominos will still have been lovely 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

The Dominos will still have been lovely

I dunno. At least have something nice, like a kebab.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Speaking from personal experience (having been diagnosed by several GPs as ‘depressed’), it is within their control.

Biggest BS post I’ve ever read on here. Congratulations 🙂

weeksy

Jamie – Member

I dunno. At least have something nice, like a kebab

I’m not passing a kebab shop later.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok. I’ll have one on your behalf.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

I’m overweight…

I’d love to care…. but i just don’t.

I trained hard today… i’ll train hard tomorrow…

Friday… i’ll still be overwieght…

what’re you training for? I would’ve thought eating healthily and training for some sort of event would go hand in hand. Afterall, if you want to do your best, then you have to be physically at your best.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve heard it all now!! Nothing to do with the supersize fries & burger being consumed along with that “diet” drink of course! It’s pretty obvious that portion/packet size has increased massively in the last 20/30 years or so. eg when I was growing up, if you wanted some crisps, you had a small bag of crisps. There weren’t these massive “sharing” bags you get now (which people seem more than happy to consume on their own!)

No, decreased response to sugar has nothing to do with the supersize fries and burger – although the fact that you can’t get a sugar hit so easily might potentially mean you’re more likely to eat more lovely sweet processed food.

You can read the abstract of the study here,
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S003193841200193X

It isn’t just portion size although clearly in the USA that is a big issue, hence the battles against ridiculous portions, and the (evil) food industry fighting to keep them. We have changed how foods are made, made them sweeter, created ‘healthy drinks’ full of artificial sweeteners that reduce peoples sugar responses and make them eat more sugary foods in the long term, added more sugar to loads of foods to make them fit our current tastes for more sweet food. All manner of stuff has changed, and it isn’t just about stopping people stuffing their mouths full of food. When even the things sold as ‘diet’ are turning out to be bad for us, you can see how people find it hard to know how to be healthy. Particularly in a world where despite the obvious evidence that eating home cooked food from ingredients is the most healthy thing to do, the vast majority of the ‘information’ we are given about eating relates to purchaseable branded products ie. unhealthy processed foods.

weeksy

what’re you training for? I would’ve thought eating healthily and training for some sort of event would go hand in hand. Afterall, if you want to do your best, then you have to be physically at your best

Just day to day stuff mate.

I’m never going to win Gorrick races, even if i dropped 3st to take me to 12st, i’m not going to beat blokes like NJee, it’s not happening.

I always want to do my best… but there are limitations, both self imposed and also by my phyiscal limits.

molgrips
    Free Member

I on the other hand would do quite well racing if I dropped 3st. I won’t though.. maybe 1.5st at best.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

You live in an ethically reared ivory tower. There are many reasons why, but that sweeping statement appears to be made from a very nice place indeed.

What did you want here, a bunch of menus composed entirely of asda smart price fruit and veg?

I only mean it is physically available. People may not know how to eat or live healthy.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I went from well built, toned and fit to being 19 stone in my early forties and have spent the last year or two losing it to get back to a good weight for my build and being fit again.
    In my personal experience it’s was mostly just lacking self discipline, eating too much and doing too little. It’s very easy to blame other people or circumstance for obesity and there is a multi billion pound industry happy to agree with you and offer you a solution (at a cost).

Truth be told for 90% of people who are fat it’s simply a case of sticking too much tucker in your pie hole and doing nothing to burn it off. Does that warrant people being prejudiced, no but equally fat people need to be told to stop being fat and the best way to avoid feeling bad about your weight is to sort it out..

weeksy

molgrips – Member
    I on the other hand would do quite well racing if I dropped 3st. I won’t though.. maybe 1.5st at best

Depends what you class as ‘well’ really.

I rekon i’d get top 20 in ‘fun’ maybe top 25 in Sport…

However, i’m never going to win Elite races unless i put an engine on it.

joemarshall
    Free Member

a bunch of menus composed entirely of asda smart price fruit and veg?

A bit back someone did this, and their ‘dirt cheap’ recipe for pasta sauce included “a glass of chianti that was left in the bottle: cost = zero”, along with a load of storecupboard herbs and things at cost = zero.

footflaps

However, i’m never going to win Elite races unless i put an engine on it.

Or are a genetic freak. Compete in Sport / Expert is fairly easy, just takes a lot of dedication (I managed it and I’m not a natural). To do well in Elite is a huge jump up and training alone won’t get you on the podium, you need to be born with an obscene aerobic system and then train like a bastard for years…

zilog6128

I take it today isn’t one of your “2” days then 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

what’re you training for? I would’ve thought eating healthily and training for some sort of event would go hand in hand. Afterall, if you want to do your best, then you have to be physically at your best

Just day to day stuff mate.

I’m never going to win Gorrick races, even if i dropped 3st to take me to 12st, i’m not going to beat blokes like NJee, it’s not happening.

I always want to do my best… but there are limitations, both self imposed and also by my phyiscal limits.

Fair do’s, I guess it’s good to strike the right balance that you’re happy with – that’s the most important thing.

zilog6128

It isn’t just portion size although clearly in the USA that is a big issue, hence the battles against ridiculous portions, and the (evil) food industry fighting to keep them. We have changed how foods are made, made them sweeter, created ‘healthy drinks’ full of artificial sweeteners that reduce peoples sugar responses and make them eat more sugary foods in the long term, added more sugar to loads of foods to make them fit our current tastes for more sweet food. All manner of stuff has changed, and it isn’t just about stopping people stuffing their mouths full of food. When even the things sold as ‘diet’ are turning out to be bad for us, you can see how people find it hard to know how to be healthy. Particularly in a world where despite the obvious evidence that eating home cooked food from ingredients is the most healthy thing to do, the vast majority of the ‘information’ we are given about eating relates to purchaseable branded products ie. unhealthy processed foods.

You are preaching to the choir mate! Agree with all that. Not sold on the notion that “diet” drinks make people fat though. Yes there may be some tenuous evidence, but at the end of the day sugar is not crack cocaine. It is very easy to say “no”. People don’t need yet more excuses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Truth be told for 90% of people who are fat it’s simply a case of sticking too much tucker in your pie hole and doing nothing to burn it off.

Yes but why do people eat too much and not exercise enough, when they know full well that it makes them fat?

zilog6128

Is that a trick question?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s rhetorical.

IanW
    Free Member

Dont see the overweight as a subspecies, their genetically no different to anyone else.

I do see them(me)as victims of a food industry that spends a lot of money surrounding us with and selling us shit thats bad.

So a bit weak perhaps, but Ive never met someone without one or two weaknesses.

It does however make me angry to see obese kids, that is child abuse.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Increased packet sizes? If anything the size of what you get for your money has shrunk dramatically in the last few years. It’s just the artful packaging (fewer crisps in the same sized flow wrap bag for example) that misleads people, as it was meant to.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s rhetorical.

What was your point then ?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s rhetorical.

No. It’s a potato, and they are bad. Apparently.

Junkyard
    Free Member

even sweet potatoes 😯
    Can I eat them if I call them Yams?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can I eat them if I call them Yams?

That would be racist.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Fatism’ is closed to new replies.