Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fatbike tubeless – Fire bead trick.
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

Trying to get the tyres to seat, having very little luck.

The front went up an absolute dream, bit of carb cleaner and a flame and boom, tyres on. Tried 3-4 times now with the rear and its just not happening. Sprayed 2-3 seconds in 2-3 places around the tyre, then lit from a distance with a carb cleaner flame thrower. Any tips to get it to actually seat?

p.s. conventional methods are useless, the tyre is a bit of a **** in a sock when it comes to how close it is to the rim. Compressor is pointless, co2 is useless and a track pump is ridiculous.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Sorry, absolutely nothing useful to add, but any chance of one last go with the carb cleaner but film it this time, just so we can watch and ermmm, offer constructive suggestions? 😉

singlespeedstu

Seat the tyre with a tube first.
    Then remove the tube leaving on side seated. Put the wheel on a bucket with the unseated side hanging down and hit it with a compressor.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Having set the tyre on fire twice now (having to put it out with a hose/watering can) I would rather get it right this time! I do also have a video of me panicking trying to put the tyre fire out, turns out stamping on the tyre is not the correct method.

cynic-al
    Free Member

UPLOAD!

m0rk
    Free Member

Mastik, propane, matches

Please film this.

TBH, my fat tyres are so sloppy on the rim I can’t ever imagine getting them tubeless

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Use some Oxy-acetylene, it’s much moar poppy.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Make sure you use loads too!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

When my housemate gets home it will be filmed, using a combination of seating one side and then exploding the tyre on. Like I said the front went on so easy, I tubelessed it in ~10 mins total, it was great but the rear is being a real pain in the backside.

edit: with the oxy-acetelyne, that will burn long after the tyres seated! I want to seat the bead, not destroy the rim.

chipster

When will your housemate be back? I’ve got to go out at 6, don’t want to miss it. 🙂

maximusmountain
    Free Member

After 6 I am afraid, I have the video of my and him trying to stamp the fire out (which, surprise surprise makes it worse) but would prefer to have the “correct inflation method” on video as well before I upload both.

jameso

Sprayed 2-3 seconds in 2-3 places around the tyre, then lit from a distance with a carb cleaner flame thrower.

😀
    This is a new one to me.. so let’s say I have a UST flat in the sticks and a bottle of meths and a lighter from my stove, will that do it? Is it simply a case of correct amount of flammable stuff near the bead, light and pop?
    (Have spare tyres, old wheel and a lax attitude to fire risk, prepared to experiment .. suspect meths may burn too long.)

maximusmountain
    Free Member

james, as far as I am aware from my extensive research you spray a flammable aerosol in there and light that, then try to equalise the pressure as quickly as possible. If you can aerosol meths, sure but dont think it will burn as a liquid quick enough.

You need the rapid expansion of gas, think compressor but fun.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

After being out for the day I return to an unbelievably promising thread! It is nearly 7 so I really hope the correct method works quickly 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

When the tyre burps in use do you think it’ll be like mini napalm?

monkeyp

Tie down strap around the circumference of the tyre to push it against the rim and track pump worked on my floaters which were very baggy. However, I am using the split tube method so it has something to seal against on the whole rim surface.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

monkeyp, couldn’t you have waited until after the video!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Just tried it pre-video and it works. So I will video it when there’s an extra pair of hands!

Also tried the tie strap (a fat inner tube) and a co2 catridge, no luck! I am using the gaffa tape method.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’m guessing that it’s a floater tyre on the on one wheel rim?

If so them yes, they are a mare tubeless and the bead seat is very slack. Try building up the rim valley with laminate flooring underlay foam, there’s a post from troutie on the ukfat forum that explains it in detail. Otherwise, try the ghetto split tube method.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Its a knard on a marge light rim. I have not been allowed on the ukfat forum as of yet, my membership is pending. It works fine, just need to build a trail side tubeless kit of propane and matches.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Yay! For your success that is 🙂 I never thought about setting up a fat bike tubeless but I guess yea, if it isn’t working easily your problems are multiplied greatly by the volume you need, still through the same sized valve… So who will be the first with 4 valves in a single rim for seating purposes, with a fire extinguisher on a 4-way split…

singlespeedstu

Its a knard on a marge light rim.

Piece of piss combo to tubeless with the method I gave you.
    Though you might regret the Knard at this time of year.

maximusmountain
    Free Member
    gibbonarms
    Free Member

Knard on a ML should go v v easy, mine with husher du’s had 1 layer of gorilla tape then blew up with a track pump. Air compressor with the valve core removed is often the simplest method to seat them.

takisawa2

3″ Knard on a Dually here, using a split tube.
    Went up easily with my ropey old track pump.
    Even held air for a short test ride before the Stans went in.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike tubeless – Fire bead trick.’ is closed to new replies.