Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fatbike 29+
  • fatbikedog
    Free Member

I am planing to rebuild my Surly Wednesday to make it more suitable for bikepacking/ gravel. I am going to fit 29+ wheels with a carbon fork that I already have. What experience do members have of rim and tyre widths. I am thinking of 2.8 tyres but am tempted by Crox duro which is 3.25, which maybe too much for my purposes. This bike does not need to do ‘gnar’ as I have another for that. Looking forward to your reccomendations.

tuboflard

I’ve got Teravail Coronado 2.8’s on my 29+ bike and they’re great. Roll nice and quick, tough enough casing, and nice volume to them too for riding fully rigid. Would recommend.

monkeyboyjc

I currently have Nextie NXT29AM35 (35mm) rims in Combo with some 2.6 Vittoria Barzo’s

Rims are great – will happily take larger tyres. The tyres are good for general riding, and work well with the rims. But I’ll probably get some alternatives that are a little more gnar at some point as the wheels get used for uplifts etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kaiser
    Free Member

Crux duro are quite hard work ..I used them on tarmac ( draggy) as well as off road . Lets just say for a rigid bike they have superb volume and comfort while not being full fat. They also have a great tread and I intend/ed to use them during the winter when swopping wheels on my Pugsley from Full fat 4.8 x 26 to 29 X 3.25. They are also a great price.
    I have used Maxxis chronicles ( no longer available but I have 3 pairs) all year round and they are so much lighter /faster feeling which is what you’d expect but struggle traction wise in soggy winter conditions.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Bonty XR4 are great all round tyre have them on my Full-suss stache 29×3.0

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got 29×3″ DHF/DHR on my Canyon Dude. I’m running it with 120mm suspension so it’s a bit of a trail bike and is a lot of fun too. I’ve been impressed with how well they roll even though they look very draggy.

cojacal

Liking Bontrager 29×3.0 XR4s on 50mm rims https://www.flickr.com/photos/cojacal/51289276769

richardthird

4″ Jims! Keep it fat, great for loaded bikepacking.

If you insist on 29+ skinnies then 3″ 120tpi Knards.

letmetalktomark

Knards, Chronicles & Coronado’s all very good and capable.

The Crox is fine and mahoosive but probably best for the trails and the front!

Moar is betterer though …… non of this 2.6” nonsense 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike 29+’ is closed to new replies.