Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Fat tyre bikes. Who has got one.
  • chief9000
    Free Member

when i first saw a fat bike, i thought they were ridiculous.

Now i’m starting to like the look of em 😯

singlecrack
    Free Member

Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

JohnClimber
    Free Member

It’d be rude not to post photos

and

and
    another full Fatty due in 2 or 3 weeks as a small framed play bike

charliedontsurf

I’ve got one… Well two…. A new pugsley build is happening this week around bud and Lou tyres. And Dave is taking my old pugsley.

I use it largely to walk the dog on the beaches. But it’s also done two XC races, and two DH races.

Here is video of a dog walk….

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0MHrQzvZU[/video]

JoeG
    Free Member

My Fatty

batman11
    Free Member

Oh dear there’s a very fat box sat here in front of me. Oh we’ll better bet the fat one put together 😀

geordiemick00
    Free Member

it must be the worst nightmare riding behind a fat biker with those wheels, I bet it’s safer drafting a muck spreader 😆

Bernaard
    Free Member

Only a fat front for me, and happy to ride it anywhere
    Clean

Mucky

takisawa2

So which of you chaps was it I saw riding Cannock’s Follow the Dog yesterday afternoon then…?

White Full-Fat bike, resplendant with shocking bright green rims…

Come on, own up… 🙂
    I was the chap riding the boardwalk…on a Kona Ute. 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

White with green rims? sounds like a Salsa owner 😉

I have a Surly Pugsley i have ridden 5 years now, Scotland`s first fatbike…

Also a moonlander, and a Jones truss fork bitzer Knard 3″+ 29er fat bike in the process of building…

If your bored at work my mumblings can be read here; coastrider

If folk think they are slow because of their weight – well they aint…

I got sick of being stuck behind Orange Fives and the like at Glentress (Red and Black descents)when i first got my pugsley, though i did not originaly buy a fat bike for this type of riding.

Oh and i was bike fit as hell back than that helped… 🙂

I too once rode a five, a Patriot, later a Prophet, etc..
    I do not knock these bikes and if i rode away from the coast i would still ride a 5″ full suss around trail centres…

I ride my fat bikes on the coastline of SE Scotland, i have changed my bike collection to suit my backyard…

The new Surly Krampus 29 3″+ is really the bike most people who have no interest in coastal riding should be looking at buying who fancy one of the currant 4″ fat bikes…It is an amazing bike…

Like fat bikes though you have to ride one first before judgement…

I have a Krampus test bike from my LBS soon for a couple of weeks and plan to try and do a test which i will blog which riders of regular MTBs who are interested in fat bikes will hopefully see what this bike will be capable of…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

“Fat tyre bikes. Who has got one”

I don’t have one

bedmaker

Here’s mine on a frosty ride this morning. Looking across the river to Anne Gloags’ wee holiday but’n’ben.

My new Krampus should arrive tomorrow so I think the Muk will go – keeping two fatties is just greedy right? 🙂

[/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

drofluf
    Free Member

In too deep? by paulfulford, on Flickr

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

How does the floater compare to a Nate or a HUDU ?

stufield
    Free Member

I live near morecambe bay and there is regularly a cross bay walk, anyone interested in a cross bay ride, for fat bikes?

deserter
    Free Member

Who has ridden an on-one fatty and another fat bike, how does it stack up? I’ve got a hair trigger for a fat bike and they are the best value I can get in Canada

deserter
    Free Member

Only thing that puts me off is the chain ring might be a bit big for me and I’m not sure how small I can go on that chainset

JoeG
    Free Member

How does the floater compare to a Nate or a HUDU ?

I’d say that the Floater is in between the Nate and Hu Du. Its not going to be as aggressive as the Nate, but will roll better. And it should have more bite than the Hu Du, but not roll as fast.

The Floater is a nice tire, but it may or may not be good for the conditions that you ride in. But for 1/2 the price of the Surly tires, the Floater is sure worth a try.

JoeG
    Free Member

Who has ridden an on-one fatty and another fat bike, how does it stack up? I’ve got a hair trigger for a fat bike and they are the best value I can get in Canada

A guy who has a Muk and recently bought a Fatty did just that here.

I think that you may need to register and get a login to read posts on UK Fat Bikes, but there is some good info there.

deserter
    Free Member

Thanks JoeG, I’ve registered as I’m sure there will be lots of good info

I ordered a Fatback today though 8)

going to be a long couple of weeks waiting for it to arrive

batman11
    Free Member

So I went out yesterday for my first ride on my fatty. So first things to note I’ve not ridden for 10weeks 😥 and I got that crappy chest/flu bug that’s going round so I’m way off par at the moment.
    So the bike one one fatty, I’ve not ridden anything like this before and I picked it up on here a week or so ago once together it looks very nice seems to just look right only complaint as this is my second on one bike the Avid brakesare just poor im not gonna blame the seller as not only is this my second on one!its my third set of avid elixirs and they are crap every set have needed bleeding with in a few rides and these where the same,lever straight back to the bars very poor!!
    So on with some formulas I have here and away I go.
    So tyres set front at 9psi and rear at 10.5 straight out of the car park and into the trees and a little run down which I’ve done a hundred times before on to the fireroad left turn little up and it’s fun, turn right in to a rooty cross over mmmmm!
    Right pop some air out these big boys and have a good cough (bloody chest) and up now it starts to make sense total grip bit bouncy but right. Right turn into some singletrack now it starts to open up and Blimey this thing rips, corners goes over rooty bits with ease such fun now the smile comes,now onto more fireroad climbs and back down into what we call the triple 3 sections of tight singletrack and in I go, fantastic it just wants to go and gets through and round some pretty tight sections with surprising ease.
    So in summery even though I’m fat,unfit and still coughing like ansob, I enjoyed the few miles I did and looking forward to feeling better and doing more miles on it.
    So to finish of 😀

coastkid
    Free Member

There good fun 🙂
    click on the cog icon to view in HD
    regular 4″ for trails and coast;
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdmO707Keo[/video]

And 5″ for real slippy greasy seaside rocks…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-2D7pBKR8Q[/video]

deserter
    Free Member

Finally turned up so I’m now part of the brood

so now to get it snowy this afternoon

cozz
    Free Member

knards look good on that, think I might get a set later on the year, but waiting to see if they do a 4.8 version yet

flashes
    Free Member

And you can do stunts……………

flashes
    Free Member

motorman
    Free Member

I even have one for sale! 8)

[/url]9:zero:7 For Sale

scotroutes
    f1xed

This one is mine

IMG_0559[1] by F1xed, on Flickr

flashes
    Free Member

F1xed, what is the purple “rim tape”? That would look peachy on my Pug…..

cozz
    Free Member

got this old thing = my latest fat bike incarnation

Carver O’beast Ti with carbon forks

29 lbs as pictured

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oooof… That looks ace Cozz 8)

bedmaker

I’ve had mine for near 5 months now but today was the first time it saw sand – I figured it was about time 😉

I threw the bike in the back of the van and finished work at 12.30 and parked at the beach at Rosemarkie. I’ve always fancied a walk along the coast to look at the caves shown on the map but have never got round to it. Turns out a fatbike is a much better way to travel here.
    Cruising off the path into the deep, dry sand at the top of the beach was weird as you are waiting for the front to dig in and wash out, but that never happens. I was chuckling to myself at the sheer weirdness of it all. 🙂

[/url]

It’s an entertaining ride, with lots of rocky bits to find a path through/over. I kept hitting bits like this
    [/url]
    which looked impassable, but there always seems to be a path through
    [/url]

Even sections of giant marbles like i the picture above you can just cruise straight over the top of. Bud on the front and BFL on the back, tubeless at silly pressure so the rim is clonking off some of the rocks but the traction is unreal.

Only real downside was that the sand seemed to cause really bad chainsuck after a while, thankfully just as I was finishing anyway. Anyone else noticed this?

Can’t help thinking 6″ tyres would be even betterer for terrain like this though. One day.

It’s remarkable really the new riding the fatbike has opened to me up as feasible since getting it. They’re magic – I can’t fathom out why I was considering selling it a few weeks back in a fit of bike clearing!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Fat tyre bikes. Who has got one.’ is closed to new replies.