Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fat Roadrat- silly idea?
  • Northwind

Just mulling over options for the Rat… I’m not really a fan of skinny superhard tyres, is the main analysis, I don’t trust them and I don’t like how they feel on anything but smooth tarmac. SO I’ve got it feeling pretty nice overall but there’s just a lot of the time I’m not digging it.

So… My commuter is an old mountain bike with 2 inch slicks on it, and I much prefer it on some of the local roads, and I’m happier really pinning it- again, just trust.

So, I was thinking… I’ve got a decent spare set of 26 inch disc wheels (lighter than the wheels on the rat just now, they’re not svelte). I could sling on a set of Supermotos (for big) or maybe 2 inch Kojaks (for lighter) or similiar, and the wheel size ends up not so different. Will fit nicely into the frame, and disc converting it’s not hard. It’ll add a little weight in the tyres, but lose almost as much in the wheels… Sure the fatter tyres will be draggier, not sure by how much… And less aero obviously, but I refuse to give a damn about that 😉

So, before I think more- bad idea? Good idea? I’ve not found any massive drawbacks as yet, other than having to convert to disc. It doesn’t need mudguards but I reckon a big set of SKS would fit anyway.

scotroutes

Do. It.

I’ve got an old set of wide SKS mudguards you can have if you get around to it.

It’ll certainly be a lot more comfortable on the Lanark Road pothole run.

Northwind

I guess the other option is to just put fatter tyres on the wheels it has… There’s nothing wrong with them, open sports on decent formula hubs, and I think the rat has the clearance for a decent size 700c tyre- big apple maybe…

epicyclo

It’s a good idea.

I did it with a Kona scandium frame I had lying around. Stuck Schwalbe Big Apples on it (2.35″)

It makes for a good ride on our knackered roads, and a surprising turn of speed. The best thing is the grip you have when doing fast downhill corners.

And you can still venture off the road with a bit of care.

drofluf
    Free Member

Do it, put some Big Apples on my Peregrine in place of the 32mm tyres it had before and it transformed the ride. No slower but vastly more comfortable on what passes for roads round here.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not do it? It’ll be a rigid steel bike with 2″ tyres – same as your current commuter.

Will meet with stw approval – how can you lose?

jameso

Works for me – 2×29″ Big Apples. Great over rougher roads at 20-25psi.

I thought there was going to be a 4″ front tyred roadrat in here. Dissapointed yet relieved )

BadlyWiredDog

You may have problems with clearance for a front mech if you’re running one. I stuck some biggish Smart Sams on my Rat a few years ago and that was the only real snag, though they felt sluggish compared to the 35 cross tyres I was running as normal. Oh, it was pig ugly too.

I find large-ish cross tyres fine as a balance of comfort and speed. It’s not a mountain bike, but hey, it’s your bike so do whatever makes you happy. I’d also, if you’re worried about ride comfort, get rid of the steel Roadhog fork they came with as standard. It’s brutally stiff and probably not helping with ride comfort either.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ What fork would you replace the Roadhog with?

Toying with the idea of a road/offroad oriented makeover for my ‘Rat at the moment.

scruff
    Free Member

Yes, what roadhog replacement with disc mounts and mudgurad clearance?

BadlyWiredDog

^ What fork would you replace the Roadhog with?

The carbon fork on the X rides significantly softer and I think would fit – Cy would know for sure. Or take a look at the Kinesis range. It’s been discussed on here a few times if you google it or use the advanced search button up there.

It’s not solely about the material of the fork btw, it’s basically made of girders I think. I have a Soma Double Cross DC with a tapered steel fork that has a much nicer ride than the Cotic one, which is just very, very stiff. I think – from distant memory – the original one was butted, then that was replaced under a recall by a non-butted version after some breakages, not sure what the later Rats use.

A mate of mine folded one in half just commuting in London though, so it doesn’t seem like the stiffness equates to super strength either.

epicyclo

Of course, once you have had a few weeks enjoying the benefits of a fat road tyre, you may want to go fatter and then you’ll have a truly fat Roadrat.

Here’s my current favourite “road” bike with 4″ Black Floyd tyres. It’s ok for reasonably long day rides. Pic is from a ride on the Ledmore loop from Dingwall to Ullapool (abt 88 miles).

Cynic-al may recognise the frame 🙂

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Why not do it? It’ll be a rigid steel bike with 2″ tyres – same as your current commuter.

It’ll be drop barred and about 10lbs lighter, are the main differences, and it’ll fit better (the commuter’s built for nuclear attack survival and magpie repellance, not even the students can be bothered to nick bits off it. And it did fit me perfectly, in 1991!)

Hmm. Well, 2 choices really, need to have a look at the clearances etc.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

got a drop bar roadrat with the original roadhog fork (got used to it now)

i’d stick with 700c wheels, you can probably fit up to 45mm wide tyres, i think someone had a piccy on here with a roadrat sporting 1.75″ bontrager xcx tyres

i’ve tried 40mm schwalbe hurricanes in the past and they fitted fine, using 32mm conti contacts on at the moment for the road

Sam

700×45 will be quicker than 26×2.0 and IMO will roll more smoothly as well.

woody2000

I’ve got mine running 35mm cross tyres on 700c wheels, but a 26″ carbon disk fork up front. Works fine, comfy and loads of tyre clearance too.

Pic Linky

(Image credit Geoff Waugh)

Northwind

Just in case it’s of interest to anyone- the whole 26 inch wheel thing isn’t working out too well, the frame can’t take the fat tyres I was planning to use, no 2.35 Big Apples for me 🙁 2 inch Kojaks would go, though the wheel would probably need to be a long way back in the dropouts. Not sure if they give me the size I’m after though (if not for performance then for looks 😉 )

Back to the drawing board.

honourablegeorge

Much prefer my rat with 42c tyres, never liked the 25c or 23c I tried.

They punctured on every jump. 🙂

sheck

Cy said 29×1.75 will fit. I just fitted some 29×1.8s to my Salsa Vaya… Makes me far more confident off road

smokey_jo

specialized borough 700 x 42 handle dry off road and roll we’ll on road oh and they are cheap…….£6 cheap!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

If front mech clearance is an issue you could perhaps look at seeing if Surly Monkey Nuts will fit?

I’ve just stuck some in my Karate Monkey to get a bit of extra clearance for some quite fat Race Kings.

I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t fit in another horizontal dropout frame like the Roadrat.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used to have 2″ tyres on my Singular Peregrine

Singular_brown by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Sigh… fantastically smooth ride….

Northwind

SprocketJockey – Member

If front mech clearance is an issue you could perhaps look at seeing if Surly Monkey Nuts will fit?

Hmmmm. It’s actually frame clearance, chainstays aren’t exactly tight but they’re not wide either. But they don’t spread out that fast either so it needs quite a lot of movement backwards to get a result. I think probably not the best option.

Fat 700s it is then, and maybe a change to disc at a later date. Decided after much hemming and hawing that 2.0 Kojaks on 26 inch wheels would work well but also looks a little silly.

GaryLake
    Free Member

ir_bandito: argh crap, I’ve always liked the Peregrine but that’s well nice! Want! Can’t have…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sorry Gary

But thanks. 🙂

Its long gone now, sold onto someone who was going to tour Europe on it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fat Roadrat- silly idea?’ is closed to new replies.