Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fat road tyres 26″ recommendations
  • Woody
    Free Member

Looking along the lines of DMR Moto’s with some offroad capability ie. cyclepaths, occassional dry trails (I’m an optimist)

Any recommendations ?

Woody
    Free Member

Anyone ?

Also are the Moto 2.4’s really like balloons and does anyone have any (Moto’s or similar) they want to sell?

Woody
    Free Member

Has no-one in the whole ST massif used these ? 😥

glenp
    Free Member

Even 25mm / 1″ road tyres are rideable on unmade cycle paths etc, and much quicker on tarmac too. I wouldn’t bother going big myself. Any proper off-road warrants mtb tyres – only takes a few mins to switch.

redx

I used a DMR Moto on the back of my hard-tail and rode it at Afan/Glyncorrwg/Cwmcarn a fair bit. Most of the time it was fine, but did struggle a bit on wet roots. Rolls quite well on the road as well….

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a set of DMR Moto’s 2.2 off my old commute bike which are now on my hack bike. Was always happy with them and they held up well. Light off road use would be ok but you’d have to avoid mud or wet of any description (at least whilst cornering).
    I recently put some Scwalbe Big Apples on my old hardrock after i terminally dented a rim hitting a pothole with my usual Spesh Nimbus 1.5″ tryes. They seem pretty good so far but would offer less offroad grip than the moto’s.
    Best thing about fat slicks (apart from the obvious increase in tyre volume and ‘floatier’ ride) is that they look ‘right’ on mountain bikes whereas slicks always look a bit odd. The Big Apples also go up to a 2.35 i believe but i wouldn’t be able to squeeze those into my old frame.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon XR? I’ve got the 29er version on the commute bike and they’re nice, though a touch expensive. Though if you believe their website you’ll be puncture proof for 8000-15000kms.

Had some DMR Motos a while ago on the old 26er, never had an issue with them, though I always thought they were a bit heavy.

Imagine the Motos might clog up a bit in mud, the XRs have a wore spced grip that sheds the crud a bit better IMHO.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

… more spaced grip… even

GTDave
    Free Member

I use “Maxxis High Roller Semi-Slicks” in a 26×2.35 for the same conditions that you initially posted.
    Grip is great, and they certainly spin up fast.

Not great on wet / muddy trails though. Wet paths / road are fine.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=5846

Other than that, I have used:
    Halo Twin Rail’s, which were nice.
    Conti Double Fighter II’s, not too shabby.
    Conti City Contacts (purely for road & path) very good.

devs
    Free Member

My pal did Llandegla on DMR Motos. In fact he did Golspie and Lagan on them too whilst he was here but changed to High Rollers not long after that. They are fine on hard pack.
    Here he is doing Llandegla black on them.

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers gentlemen

They are going on a 2nd hand Kona Stuff I’ve just bought which is going to be a town/pub/hack bike and I’m in the happy position of having loads of options from A to B with converted railway lines, riverbanks + some dodgy tarmac. BTW does anything works on wet roots anyway ??

I had Conti doublefighters about 12 years ago and they were nice and quick but not too clever on the puncture front.

I’ll have a look at the other recommendations but really like the looks (big with same tread on edges for road cornering) and presumably good puncture resistance of the Moto’s.

Thanks for the comments, I’ll check out the other options 😀

andyh2
    Free Member

I’ve got apair of very little use Schwalbe Big Appples 2.35″ / 60mm size looking for £22 posted.

Woody
    Free Member

andyh2

How big do they look on the bike ? Might be interested but I’ve been offered some Moto’s and think they may be better suited to the odd offroad foray.

How did you find them in various conditions ?

andyh2
    Free Member

Woody,

Here’s a pic of them on a 1×1, afraid I don’t have a shot of them straight on.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24734759@N07/2899291456/
    They’re lovely and cushy on road, very limited off road to be honest though.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

schwalbe tabletops…

or conti race kings are good.

Woody
    Free Member

andyh2 – Thanks for the pic. They look very similar in profile to the 2.1 City Slickers I have in the garage which were good except for the weight and white side-walls !

TBH I’m leaning towards something with a bit more offroad capability but the reviews on these are good.

I’ll let you know by lunchtime as I’ve been offered a pair of wire Moto RT’s but I’ll give it another couple of hours to see if any folding or 2.4’s turn up.

Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

IRC Lovers Soul 26 x 2.25

BigDummy
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathons.

I have a pair of 2.35″ Maxxis Hookworms knocking about, but they are OTT for most normal activity…

Earl
    Free Member

Conti town and country2.1 . The inverted tread rolls well on the road and grips well on dry trail.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Continental_Town_And_Country_Semi_Slick_Tyre/5300002816/

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the info/offers.

I’ve gone for a 2.4 Moto RT wire which UK Bike Store is selling for £30.34 delivered, which seems like a bit of a bargain

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fat road tyres 26″ recommendations’ is closed to new replies.