• This topic has 126 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Fat person = Lazy person?
  • ton

do YOU think a fat person is a lazy person? in general.

cinnamon_girl

ton – please don’t troll, you’ll bring out all the neds. 😐

cloudnine
    Free Member

How fat and lazy are we talking?

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, Ton 😥

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was.

mrben100
    Free Member

Being one who struggles with weight – i’d say greedy rather than lazy from personal experience.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well – their pie arm certainly isnt lazy. 😉 I reckon botox to the pie arm might be a cure for obesity. 😈

wiggles
    Free Member

No, because I am one 😉

Ride to work everyday, my job isn’t just sitting around in an office etc

But I’m a bit too fond of pies.

ton

CG, not trolling love. asking a genuine question.
    sorry it it seemed otherwise.

mods please feel free to remove this.

geoffj

Only if they’re Russian and wearing a tiny bikini.

bigrich

not necessarily; but thanks to epigenetics, one of their ancestors was.

mcnultycop

When I was lazy and undisciplined I was very fat.

I’m now less lazy and more disciplined and less fat.

1-shed
    Free Member

Don’t go of size go of productivity, some bigger people graft and some who are less well built are a waste of space. I am a chunky grafter but I know how to relax. Time for a beer me thinks.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m skinny and exercise a lot. When I was traveling with work and eating out 3-4 nights a week I got a bit tubby.

Not lazy as such, just time poor

ton

reason i asked, today i went for a pre op at a heart clinic in sheffield.
    i saw a young Dr,a junior to the surgeon who is doing my op. he asked me a load of questions, do i drink, do i smoke, how much, if any, excercise did i do.
    when i told him i was a cyclist and rode a couple of hundred mile a week, he looked over his glasses and asked me if i was serious.
    i told him in quite a angry manner, that of course i was serious, and why would i not be.
    he told me, he has asked if i was being serious because i did not look like a cyclist.
    i then asked him if he thought all people carrying a bit of weight or who were big were all lazy people who did no excercise.
    he then started to apologise and backtrack when he saw i was angry and very serious.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not necessarily IME

cloudnine
    Free Member

Real miles or STW miles?

Solo
    Free Member

do YOU think a fat person is a lazy person? in general

Depends how you’re defining “lazy”. Are you referring to physical sloth, or people who just cba to look into why they may be accumulating excessive body fat ?

My reading indicates that sedentary behaviour is the result of obesity, not the cause, in those who are otherwise free from any other underlying condition.

As for Botox, instead, surgically remove offending pie arm. Probably cheaper to do this than fit gastric band…

matther01
    Free Member

No…its glandular related. 😉

In all seriousness I’ve seen some tubby blokes cycle past me with relative ease. They must have been really fit rugby props (or what I like to think!)

miketually
    Free Member

I’m lazy and greedy, and currently wearing 28″ waist shorts.

olly2097
    Free Member

last week I cycled 140 miles including the snowdon sportive of 76 miles.
    Ran 10k
    Also went swimming.
    Went for a walk with the wife.

BMI of 30 (tipping into obese!)

genetically my family are larger framed though I have a belly because I love food and drink.

I also work full time and do loads around the house and garden.

I get called fat by friends and work mates but I have a resting heart rate of 55 bpm, a bp of 110 systolic and don’t get out of puff doing things like they do.

ton

cloudnine, all real hard earned miles mate. all done while in AF too.
    800 miles last month…..not bad for a fat lazy bloke eh…… 😆

Superficial
    Free Member

Maybe fat people have been lazy at one point? I know you’re doing a lot of miles these days ton, but that’s in order to lose the weight that you’ve put on, right? Obviously that’s commendable but it doesn’t tell the whole story, does it?

But yeah, my predjudice is that a lot of people are overweight because they don’t exercise enough. The odd exception doesn’t disprove the theory.

falkirk-mark

I would say in general yes that most people probably think that fat people in general are lazy people, however being overweight myself ( 100 kgs @ 5’9″) I know this not to be true . I would say it is true for 90% of overweight people hence the generalisation. (Lazy person being someone who does no exercise)

cloudnine
    Free Member

I was only joking.. remember a while back you had a leccy bike.. also maybe nearly gave up riding a few times. Its pretty inspirational how youve turned that around and doing that kind of mileage with a dicky ticker.

olly2097
    Free Member

@superficial But maybe fatties exercise then eat shitloads afterwords like me?

Do a 50 mile ride, come home, binge! lack of self control in some areas I guess.

What about skinny to average weighted people who do no exercise whatsoever? my wife for example is a size 8/10. Also spends most of her time sat playing candy crush saga and eating crap. Never puts on a pound.

loddrik
    Free Member

Yes. I am fat. I am also very very lazy.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m lazy and currently officially overweight.

scotroutes

If I was very lazy I’d be very fat.

ton

If I was very lazy I’d be very fat.

all them bloody cake photo’s….. 😆

scotroutes

I rest my (pastry) case.

cinnamon_girl

I’m sorry ton, jumped in a bit too quick there!

Unfortunately I can relate to getting that type of reaction and know how hurtful it can feel.

You’re doing brilliantly with your monthly mileage and pleased that you’re enjoying your cycling. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

My guess that for most its a lack of motivation or self discipline.

I suffer from both.

ton

CG, no worries love. 😀

Crag
    Free Member

I know some fat people who are lazy, I’m lazy and thin. Laziness has no correlation to weight.

brooess
    Free Member

I suspect it’s very hard to not be overweight when so much of the food on offer is stuffed full of sugar and fat, and so many jobs require us to sit down all day. There’s very little in the framework of day to day life these days which makes it easy to be healthy. It’s a massive effort to stay healthy IMO.

That said, if you look at the choices a lot of people are making about what they eat, how much physical movement they build into their daily routine, and how little exercise they do, you do have to wonder if we’ve somehow lost some intelligence at some point in the 20th century!

However, it’s not helpful to make massive generalisations about how people become fat. I suspect a lot of times it’s just lack of time/education to make the decisions needed to live healthily. Sometimes it’s probably lack of self-respect, sometimes it’s probably laziness but overall I suspect it’s really far more complex than laziness.

In this instance it strikes me the doctor was too young to realise that being judgemental isn’t very helpful in solving people’s problems… maybe the fault is mainly in his training which didn’t teach him not to judge… or maybe he was just an insensitive twit!

takisawa2

Comfort eating for me.
    Can keep up with most on the bike, but have to work that bit harder.
    Not happy with myself, but lack the motivation to do anything about it.
    Vicious circle. 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

imnotverygood

I suspect it would be true to say that if you averaged up the amount of exercise the fat population took and compared it to those with a BMI under 25, you’d find, on average the latter were more active. I have no evidence for this.

yunki
    Free Member

Lazy and thin here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Fat person = Lazy person?’ is closed to new replies.