• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by momo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fat Bunter – seatpost broken again
  • Picto
    Free Member

Starting to feel the need to cut out the pies.

Second post snapped in a month – this was my reserve ibeam post snapped the other early Jan. I was going to replace the snapped one with a thomson but had to put off the purchase until I recovered from the xmas spendfest.

This one went climbing on the FtD trail on Cannock Chase. Went suddenly, the saddle fell back and pivoted hitting me in the nads. I suppose I was lucky not to rip anything off on the sharp top section of the post.

Thomson for me.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ouch. I'm pretty heavy and ride a 26.8mm post quite a way out of the frame. This is worrying! It's one of those NC17s though so it should be quite strong if the description is accurate.

Picto
    Free Member

I am about 13 stone at the moment as still carrying some winter plumage.

The post snapped while I was climbing in the saddle up a relatively smooth if twisty trail. So it did not go with a sudden impact.

I think the message to me, if there is one other than lose weight and ride very light on the saddle, is to remember that aluminium components fatigue over time and need changing, even though they look alright.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Picto, I was hammering DH bikes weight in at 16 stone and doing XC as well at that weight, never had a post snap due to my weight.

I would look into how old the seatposts are, how they have been treated before looking at your weight, unless posts are made for 7 stone riders?

clubber
    Free Member

I'm big too and have trashed more posts than I could recall though I've never actually snapped one, just bent them. The ones that have fared best are thomson, race face xy and syncros (original) though I have
    managed to very slightly bend some of those too when small diameter eg 27.2 ish.

The best thing is to get frames with larger diameter seatposts – 30mm and above – as they're inherently stronger.

T1000
    Free Member

Picto I assume both were IBeams? they have a habit of failing especially in the cold IMHE

Timmo
    Free Member

13st! i wish lol! on the 16st mark here, and also ride a 26.8 with a lot out, already has a slight bend in it, and not had any issues other than the clanp wearing, semi aggressive xc riding mainly,
    thinking now i better get a new post lol!

ianpinder
    Free Member

I have one word to say:

Thompson

Picto
    Free Member

T 1000 – Both the snapped posts were ibeams – read a couple of threads about them. Both in cold weather, and neither due to sudden impact. This one failed diffently to the last. The post did not split at the back. It sheared down both sides of the post to the depth of the plug rebate.

Will not be putting on another ibeam. Lesson learned, Thomson it is.
    Never broken a post before.

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm.. you guys are pretty light compared to me haha. I'm about 17-18st with a 26.8mm.. Doesn't seem to be showing any signs of weakness yet though but it's aluminium (albeit thick walled) so I dunno haha. I was gonna get a Thomson but couldn't quite justify the price.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've bent quite a few seriously expensive posts but not a Thomson I think it's unbreakable.

ArnoutIAndrews67
    Free Member

I snapped an Easton carbon post at Mountain Mayhem at night (a very tired landing out of the 'bombhole'). This created a very jagged and sharp edge which scraped the inside of my thigh – fortunately only with a set of scrathes and very shallow cuts – could easily have given myself a second anus. Thinking about how close the remaining seatpost went to the crown jewels still brings me out in a cold sweat. Dont take the humble seat post for granted.

16 stone – now with serious doubts about carbon posts for any 'proper' riding.

druidh
    Free Member

I've snapped an alloy post in the past. I tend to use carbon now.

walleater

I tend to stand up.

ojom
    Free Member

Never snapped a post myself. But then i do mince a lot.

househusband

Thomson seatposts are designed to bend, rather than break – they call it a 'bending fuse'.

parkesie
    Free Member

What is it with snaping posts at ftd?

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Never had any trouble with my Blackspire post, use the longer length 425mm so I have plenty left in the frame to control some of the leverage of my 6'4" frame perched on top of it.

takisawa2

Been bouncing my 16st on numerous Thomsons now for years without any issues. Wouldnt use anything else.

scotabroad

Another vote for thomson, bent and broke a few other makes until investing in them a couple of years ago and never had an issue since. im 18st+ btw

mattythemod
    Free Member

One of my riding buddys just came round and said " is my seatpost bent ? " and you guessed it its bent , Titec Hellbent which i thought were pretty solid just to warn you !

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bounced my 16.5 stone on two titec hellbent posts and both snapped at the clamp bolt. I shifted the saddle position forward half an inch and have been fine since!

Notter
    Free Member

One more for Thomson. Yes they're pricey but plenty strong enough (it can take my lardy 14 stones on it with no issues!) and you get added bling factor.

Of course you'll have to buy a matching stem too to complete the effect. 😉

khani
    Free Member

dont bother with a blackspire one, the top of mine unbonded itself and now spins on top of the shaft,
    didnt bend though

momo

The Thomson on my bike is almost 10 years old, and in that time my weight has varied between 15.5 stone right up to 21 stone, still straight as an arrow, although the anodising is showing a bit of wear now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bunter – seatpost broken again’ is closed to new replies.