Fat biking. How much fun? Only sausages on an open fire could improve it

Home Forum Bike Forum Fat biking. How much fun? Only sausages on an open fire could improve it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fat biking. How much fun? Only sausages on an open fire could improve it
  • mcmoonter

Just back in from an epic day’s fat biking with Coastkid, Sanny, Italspark and a bunch of mates on the other side of the Forth. I’d never been Fat curious, but I’m a convert.

We rode singletrack, floated over farmland, and spun along the beach. Even though there was a raging westerly I don’t think there was an inch we rode where my inner child wasn’t screaming WHOOPEE. The last time I had that much fun on a bike we were kids and we fried sauasages on open fires. Now for my next ride, I’ll be packing something from the butcher.

Sanny took a bunch of pictures, hopefully he’ll post some up.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Aye. It was awesome! Glad you had such a good day. coastkid has all my pics and will be loading them onto the blog. Whoop!………oh and you can keep your sausage to yourself! Ha! Ha!

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

A year ago, I bought an On-One Fatty having never ridden a fatbike before. Its the funnest bike I own! 😀

Lawmanmx

Is it anything like Real Mtb’ing? Lol

legend

I assume Sanny just ride it on his CX bike though?

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Lawmanmx – Member

It is real Mtbing.

What the rest of you do is just fat cyclocross… 🙂

Lawmanmx

Riding down a beach is called ‘crusing’ innit? Lmao

coastkid

A fun day out 🙂
    Someone left a Craft glove in the wash bay-its other half will be feeling lonely 🙁

All Sanny`s pics until Seacliff on the blog-er seemed to have missed the last few on the JMW home 😆

The peedo pic of Sanny with Garys glasses on is real scary! 😆

Sannys pics from the mid hols group ride

Trimix

Why is it fun ? Isnt it just like riding a mountain bike, but with bigger, heavier, slower tyres ?

Ive not ridden one, but would like to know why some people like them. Do they like them because the look different, or because they ride different ?

bigtumshie

A magic day out. Totally bust after it. Bruce, the glove’s mine. Will be in touch to pick it up, cheers, Eric

Just had two days on my fatty in the quantocks 🙂

Still smiling 🙂

mcmoonter

Why is it fun ? Isnt it just like riding a mountain bike, but with bigger, heavier, slower tyres ?

I wasnt sure if I’d get it either. I think for me it was the simplicity. Fat tyres provide the suspension and unlimited grip. They worked well on almost every surface except where super slippery mud sat upon a hard underpan. . even pootling along on single track the extra weight didn’t seem an issue. Everything was fun and slides predictable. On the beach it was a revelation. We cruised through deep sand that you’d struggle to walk across. The benefits way outweigh the extra weight and drag elsewhere.

Try and have a go on one.

Lawmanmx – Member

There’s 2 types or ‘real’ mountainbiking (if you take ‘real’ to mean the original)

The Repack (on fat bikes)

Or “The Rough Stuff Fellowship”, which was a load of guys on touring bikes with knobly tyres in the 1800’s in the UK.

mcmoonter

Good call Tinas, anything that makes you feel like a 70’s CeeKay and Joe Breeze is always a bonus.

ask1974

That’s it I’ve heard enough, must go find one to have a go ❓

Mantastic

Ask, where you located?

coastkid

I have two old Pugsleys, feel free to come out for a day with the gang, well by free, i mean if you want to leave a nice drink of some kind then yeah free! 😆 🙂

Lionheart

That annoying itch has started again : (

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fat biking. How much fun? Only sausages on an open fire could improve it’ is closed to new replies.