Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fat bikes that will take 4.5″ tyres
  • tom13
    Free Member

Hi All,

Recently bought a very well specced Voodoo Wazoo Fat Bike. The bike came with 4.5″ Juggernauts on it which just rub the frame. I’m liking the extra volume over the 4″ tyres that I used to run.
    What bikes are out there that will take a 4.5″ please? Tried them in my mates fatty V1 and they will fit without rubbing. Will they fit the fatty trail?
    Does anyone have a frame, or frame and fork for sale that will accommodate these?
    I know stuff like the ICT will work but I don’t have the funds for a new one of those.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What bikes are out there that will take a 4.5″ please? Tried them in my mates fatty V1 and they will fit without rubbing. Will they fit the fatty trail?

Yup, I’ve one of each and clearance is basically the same on both frames with 4.8″ minnions (plenty in all but clay).

winston
    Free Member

triton cycles are selling a Beargrease frameset for a bargain price – I’m pretty sure that will take up to 4.8  Not sure if it would be compatible with your wheels though – fatbike standards are a minefield

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/search/beargrease

I know my 2017 Mukluk would easily take 4.5

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tom13
    Free Member

Cheers TINAS, that’s a good start.

What else is out there as well?

scotroutes

Cube Nutrail comes with 4.5″ and should take a 4.8″.

tom13
    Free Member

Thanks as well winston. Will have a read up on those they look a very good buy.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Totally love my VirFortis

Sonder Vir Fortis

They will take 4.8’s

Painey
    Free Member

I had a Cube Nutrail, they’ll definitely take a 4.5. I found mine very short in the top tube though so swapped it for a Canyon Dude. That will also take a 4.5 with room to spare, not cheap though but occasionally come up on eBay.

roverpig

Funny timing as just yesterday I sold a complete Canyon Dude and a Surly ICT frame on ebay (after advertising them on here multiple times with no interest). But, yes, they can both easily handle 4.5″ tyres.

Another option, if 4.5″ is only just too big is to look at the Jumbo Jims in 4.4″. Depending on your rims you might be able to fit these in your existing frame.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never needed to fit it as I rarely use the fat wheels and so the 4″ JJs still have plenty of life, but I have a 4.4″ JJ in my spares box, as the word was these fitted the Wazoo. What might help me is that I swapped out the default alloy fork for an On One Carbon.

cb

That Beargrease frame says nothing above 4.6. Damn good price tho…

EDIT, which is good enough! Had 4.8 in my head.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Check out the Rocky Mountain Blizzard, not well known FB but good for the tyres you’re after and as an aluminium frame not as hefty as the ICT but not as light as Dude.

Used to ride one until recently, fab bit of kit.

Don’t forget rim width and tyre shape will make a big difference if your frame is tight too. The squarer profile tyres dont bulge out so much and hence fit in tighter frames.

James

tom13
    Free Member

Cheers all. Yeah there seems to be a bit of choice out there. I will check out the blizzard never seen one before.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Worth noting that IIRC maxxis 4.8″ is a bit smaller than Schwalbe 4.8″, apparently closer to a Surly 4.5″. So I’m guessing some frames that state 4.5″ clearance will probably accommodate the bigger maxxis tyres depending on the rim if you want something a bit more useful in mud than a JJ.

k1100t
    Free Member

+1 for the Calibre Dune, mine was running 4.8″ Jumbo Jims. They were fine in all but the most clarty situations. My frame cracked round the seat tube though, so YMMV…

LAT

Before you splash out on he Salsa Beargrease, check that it isn’t 27.5 wheels. I think it is.

that won’t stop 26” wheels fitting, though

tom13
    Free Member

Good shout lat. I will have a look. I like the dune. What’s the sizing like. Do they do a large now. I’m 5ft 11.

tillydog
    Free Member

Trek Farley came with Barbegazi 4.7″ tyres.

Anything with a Bluto fork…

Northwind

Likewise, 4.8 Jumbo Jims and Minions in my Dune. And it hasn’t broken yet 🙂

There is a large now and I thought I might swap, but actually at 5’10 I feel it works really well with the original single size which is now the medium. It wouldn’t suit me at all for a normal bike, too short but it just kinda works

richardthird

XM Carbonspeed CS-197 takes 5″+. Nice geo. (Similar to Beargrease I think) Love mine, although it’s in 29×3 mode atm.

dahedd
    Free Member

That’s curious, I had a Wazoo before upgrading to a Ritchey Commando frame. I was running it with 4.6 Specialized Ground Control tyres. I had no issues at all with rubbing.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Singular puffin 😉

kayak23

My Calibre Dune is rocking 4.8 Minions

4.8 jumbo Jim’s in mine. The rear will occasionally tickle the chainstay but I think that’s more because I’ve battered the carp out of my wheels (broken spoke for about a year too)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes that will take 4.5″ tyres’ is closed to new replies.